1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascaping Newbie

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Kalli, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Hello! I'm just getting into aquascaping and am seeking advice on what kinds of plants I can/should use for my desktop tank. I have a 5 gallon Fluval Chi tank that I just got, and I LOVE it! But now I want to do something with it. Nothing crazy, but I was considering sand with some rocks and maybe a plant or two. I have two goldfish that I've had for 7 years, and I have no idea how I've kept them alive for this long, but I want to do better.

I want to try my hand at keeping live plants in the tank, so if anyone can make recommendations, that would be great. I want something not too big that will be okay in low lighting and is not too difficult to maintain that will be okay for my fish that's also pretty. If anyone also has advice about sand vs. gravel, that would also be much appreciated.

Here is a description of the tank, dimensions, lighting, etc: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Chi-Aquarium-Kit-5-Gallon/dp/B003TM1BAE (worth noting, the plant box in the center is totally removable)

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Kalli, Welcome to ASW Good to know that goldfish doing well :) One Thing Goldfish will eat most plants :( You can try Java Fern, Anubias Nana On some DW With stem plant Egeria densa at the back.Would go with gravel ;) goldfish are messy plus sand would get in there gills :) Others will know more ;)

3. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Ahh, good call with the gravel. I've never had sand, so I'm glad to know that it might be bad for them before I tried it. The lady at Petco did say that the goldfish will eat plants, but I'm hoping that I can find something that they won't eat too quickly so it can still thrive.

4. greenfinger 2

Hi Kalli, Others on ASW Will Know more about plants ;) But Asking Q first best way :D

5. -serok-

-serok- Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Kalli and welcome to ASW!

First of all... a goldfish isn't the right fish for a 5 gallon tank. It'll get too big and you have to keep more than one of it. Do the fish a favor and set it free in any bigger pond or lake or give it up to someone with a pond or a big tank.

Have a look at some of these tanks. Most of them are smaller than 28l, so maybe you can get some inspiration.
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/index0a.html
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/index0a.html
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/index0a.html

Furthermore you should read some threads at this site
    http://www.aqua-rebell.com/aquascaping.html
    Have a look at 'Aquascaping' and 'Aquatic Plants'. I think this is intersting for you.

Ohly, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  6. greenfinger 2

Hi Serok, Fantastic info ,Said someone would know more ;) Book mark the pages myself Inspirational Scapes :rolleyes:

7. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Very pretty! I'd love to work up to cool stuff like that. :3

8. Kalli

Kalli New Member

So what kind of fish ARE good for a 5 gallon tank? I'm contemplating a bigger tank, but assuming I set my goldfish free in a nice pond somewhere, what kind of fish would be a good replacement? I read that a betta fish would do well in a 5 gallon tank.

9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Kalli

A few things you must do and do it very well "RESEARCH" and that I can see you have started.
    Do not believe every thing you read on the WWW unless you know and researched the article.
    LFS New comers I think wear a big hat saying NEW-BE and believe every thing the LFS tells them especially some of these company stores, try to locate a privately owned LFS and they will and should look after you.

5 gal is a very small tank and only a few fish small are suitable.

Also think about a Shrimp tank easy to set up and maintain.

Keith:):)

10. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Fortunately for me, I am studying to be a librarian, so researching is something I usually do pretty well. Unfortunately, I currently live with my parents, and there is only so much room in their house they are willing to let me have for my projects. :p I simply have never bothered to research what my goldfish need before because I simply inherited them and they lived pretty well for so long in their 4 gallon tank. It was pulling teeth to get my parents to agree to anything bigger. But after what I've read, I've started researching koi and goldfish ponds in my area where I might be able to move my fish so that they would live more happily.

From what research I've done, though, it seems like my 5 gallon tank would be suitable for a betta fish, so I think after I find my goldfish a nice happy home, I'll go in that direction.

11. keithgh

Kalli

It would make a wonderful sized tank for "1" male Betta make sure you have a lid on that tank if not Bettas are very good jumpers.

12. -serok-

-serok- Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi there!

I'm not a big fan of fishes in such a tiny tank, but I think one Betta should be ok. But, as Keith allready said, you also should have a look at shrimps. They're colourfull, about 3-4cm small and interesting to watch.

13. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

I agree with the idea of one Betta, but as I am not a big fan of betta, I'd simply like you to look at : Galaxy rasboras.

I will put around 15 to 20 in my next tank.. but I think that for your 5gal 4-5 maybe enough.
    But I'm not a pro about fish, but as Keith said: Research is the Key,

So welcome to asw and have a nice day ! :)

14. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Oh, those are cute! Hmm, the choice is definitely going to be a tough one. So many options! I'm going to try to do as much research as possible so I can be ready as soon as I find a new home for my goldfish.

15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW!

+1 to rehoming your goldfish. For small tanks around 5 gallons I would recommend boraras brigittae and shrimp....or just shrimp. Easy to grow plants that you can tie to stones with cotton thread would include things like anubias species, bolbitus species, and maybe java fern variants (microsorum pteropus) but the java fern may get be too large for that size tank. The "windelov" variant of java fern might be okay. Another neat plant to look into is bucelaphandra species. They are harder to find and you generally have to peruse forum sales or Aquabid, but they are hardy and interesting.

If you won't be keeping goldfish in the aquarium, I like the look of a sandy substrate with matching stones for your plants.

Ohly likes this.
  16. Kalli

Kalli New Member

The goldfish have a new home! Check it out!

[​IMG]

My fish are the two in the bottom left corner of the tank, the white one and the golden one. They are very happy in their new home with new friends. ^_^

Ohly likes this.
  17. keithgh

http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Kalli

Here is a bit more research for you.

Could you please fill it in for that tank the GoldFish are in and post the results please.

I am checking on a few things.

18. Kalli

Kalli New Member

I have no idea what all are in that tank. I gave the fish to a friend of a friend who is a fish hobbyist and who takes care of fish as his thing. I think he said it was a 100 gallon tank, though. It was pretty huge, and they really liked it. He knows a lot about fish, so I trust his judgment. He has a blog about the sort of rescue that he runs out of his house and his whole operation.

19. Swietla

Swietla New Member

Fish do not grow larger than His tank. If you have a small aquarium you will have a small gold fish. That's what the fish. The claim that goldfish need a large aquarium is exaggerated. Everything you must do with "head".

20. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have to strongly disagree with this comment. It is completely not true. The fish is unable to grow to a proper size due to the constraints of the environment, it is like saying if you put a person in a box 4 ft high they will not grow taller than that so it is okay. It is very true, but they will be deformed and decrepit. It is not humane to keep large fish in small environments. Just because we can does not mean we should.

Mahantesh and greenfinger 2 like this.