1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascaping Hidden Secrets (on purpose?)

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Mar 30, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

good, keep revealing "secrets" !!! im taking notes :)

Sponsored link:

2. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Good point zeneo. Everyone keep talking about this i want to know more secrets.

3. ReefJones

ReefJones New Member

I have to say that I have read all the post and there are some good 'secrets' listed but honestly I have heard them all before! Which leads me to believe that for me (and I think most averaged to good but want to be great scapers) fall into a category of my generation which is "wanting it now without paying the price" I have seen beautiful scapes on here and other forums but honestly what I see in my minds eye looks better to me! Now translating that into a scape is a completely different task. Why? Because I have known all these great 'secrets' and refuse to do everything in my ability to utilize 1) the tools. 2) the correct plants. 3) the additives. 4) The over attention to detail etc... etc...

Some of it can't be helped. One may not have the money to afford a rimless tank with all glass ware and all the extra 'stuff' coupled with exotic plants and a $1500.00 photo shoot.
    BUT
    I know that I have skimped on well planning my hardscape in the past. I have used some additives but THOUGHT others "weren't really needed". When I did come up with a plan for plants I let myself fall into 'collectoritis' and start cramming plants in my tank where they had no business going etc... the list goes on and on.

I've talked with folk who have set up AMAZING TANKS and it is always the same, planing and sticking to those basic concepts that aren't so secret.

I knew all that was needed to set up a stellar tank (heck read Amanos yearly book he does step by step instructions) but chose to go 'other' routes and it lead me to the same dissappointing scape that looked nothing like the scape in my minds eye!

The solution for me... Fundamentals. Basics of Aquascaping and plant health, using what works those that have had and have GREAT tanks, adding your own creativity, and planning, planning, planning. When you don't I'm reminded of an addage we use at work.
    "P to the 6th power"... Piss Poor Planning Produces Poor Performance
    I don't think there are any "major secrets" Put in the time, do it right, THE JUICE WILL BE WORTH THE SQUEEZE!!! **this of course is just my opinion**
    Reef

4. defdac

defdac New Member

On the other hand - while you have planned your ultimate aquascape for years, some noob have created 10 aquascapes and learnt all the tricks of the trade doing so...

As with agile software development and extreme programming, "Embrace change" is a good motto. While the besserwissers have discussed and planned a certain aspect of a software an agile xp team have implemented all the variants to choose from.

A fundamental flaw is to think that aquascapes are static. They develop continously and never look the same in any point of time. It will always surprise you by being not the exact thing you've planned, but almost always better. That to me is one of the greatest things with this hobby. To be able to enjoy the unexpected outcome of nature.

A really crappy hardscape will always look better when the plants fill in and hide the ugliness ;)

5. ReefJones

ReefJones New Member

For the most part I'd bet that those noobs planned their tanks picked plants that accomodated the look they were going for. There is also a huge difference from having a tank that grows quick and looks great for a picture in a window of two days and having a tank that looks GREAT All the time! Take Deki's Pursuit of Longevity, It looked good all the time. He followed the 'secrets' that are known by asking questions, doing research and reading.
    You are exactly right that the plans can and will change but that is when the creative juices start flowing! (I don't know what it is with me and juices lately:-s)
    Reef