Aquascaping categories--my own take on it.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by randy0319, Jan 6, 2012.

?

Do you keep a pictorial record of other aquascapes?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2012.
  1. Always

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. most of the time

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. when I get around to it

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. nope

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Aquascaping categories--my pictorial take on it.

Preface:

As a beginner, I have been hoarding hundreds of pics of different styles and types of design that others have made in order to better understand this art form. These are my own opinions on what constitutes a style/category of design/ model. I had to put all of the pics in separate folders on my computer in order to keep track of them and found similarities developing so I thought that I would share. NONE of these pictures are mine...except one or two due to lack of examples by others. They are the works that I consider classic examples of their given category. Some of these pictures might be familiar, and some may be new, but I consider all of them to be great artists in the own rite. There are many fine works in my collection of pictures that I did not include because that would be too daunting a task. I have included a few pictures of each category to give examples that are representative of the category. I also tried to include aquariums that use the golden ratio and/or rule of thirds within their execution. Each person can make their own collection in order to choose what they want to do when the time comes to re-scape. Here is my take on these ever expanding lists. ...Oh, I finally fixed all of the spelling errors- I know- I suck at spelling- meh.
    jareth, hiisoka, saiko and 4 others like this.

Sponsored link:

2. randy0319

Arches catagory

This is a category that seems classic due to the memories of all of us as children make such things for our fish to swim through . I am training one of my tanks with this design. Here are some great examples:

3240.jpg

1770.jpg

770.jpg

580.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3900.jpg

[​IMG]

frac76.jpg

Attached Files:

• 3070.jpg
      3070.jpg
      File size:
      143.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Eboeagles likes this.
  3. randy0319

Cave Category

Caves were the second thing that I tried to create as a kid...never worked. It is a difficult style to get right but worth the effort. The last picture is mine due to lack of examples.

3150.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mahantesh and Eboeagles like this.
  4. randy0319

View attachment 4084 Concave category

This type is almost a stock standard and is so integral to the hobby that countless examples exist already. Here are a few classics

3770.jpg

1160.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      191.8 KB
      Views:
  5. randy0319

Convex category

Convex is the opposite and is usually based on a central mound. Once again this form is also a classic and is integral to most aquatic design layouts as a foundation of form.

3870.jpg

1570.jpg

2320.jpg

820.jpg

450.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little.jpg
    kinyko and Eboeagles like this.
  6. randy0319

Classic Dutch style

One of the oldest known in the hobby, it is a complicated arrangement of different shapes, textures, hights, and colors with 'avenues' radiating from a central view point. Some have compared it to shopping at a vegatable market with cases of different specimens on display. There are rules to the depth of the substrate, hieght of terraces, appropriate water chemistry, and other considerations; even the placement of the tank in the household has a pointspread in judging. I have yet to attempt this labor intensive style but Plantbrain has done a magnificent job and has a thread worth seeing called 'Dutch something or other'...I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. randy0319

Island category

This category can have elements of convex or concave but gives the impression of being surrounded by a sea of sand. It has (for me) a distinctive feel to it of mysterious isolation. It can be a single island of have a guest/subsidiary island in its layout. Be it the Isle of the immortals or a key somewhere in the gulf of Mexico, the island form has a feel for the lonely, exotic, and timeless.

3751.jpg

1510.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ohly, kinyko and Eboeagles like this.
  8. randy0319

Iwagumi proper

This is a style with defined Japanese aethetics developed by ancient Zen Buddhist artistic principles ( 7 in all), and championed by Takashi Amano. Its stately introspective layout can be simple- but beware! Simple does not equal easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the above is a very small nanoscape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. randy0319

Mountain iwagumi

This is a category that takes the viewer on a hot air balloon ride through the perspective of birds. It can include lakes, streams, shorelines and such. The karsk mountains of Guilin province in China are a favourite of this type. The aerial views and far off peaks are its hallmark.

1380.jpg

2490.jpg

3350.jpg

3262.jpg

2440.jpg

1360.jpg

2020.jpg

970.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    kinyko, Eboeagles and CalmSeasQuest like this.
  10. randy0319

Nano and pico tanks

The world in a dewdrop is the focus of this catagory. The smaller the tank the more amazing. The goal is to play with scale and perspective to such an extent that the tank looks much larger then it really is. Tweezers, nimble fingers, and patience are a must. Some micro tanks ae even too small for snails and redd cherry shrimp to live in. The example below, made by Superwen is to be found in the glass cup used for CO2 diffusing within the tank...about the diameter of a 1/2 $ coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are the works of Master diego.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the above masterpieces are miniature jewels held in the palm of your hand.
    Eboeagles likes this.
  11. randy0319

rectangular category

This is a category that practically covers the back glass wall of the tank. The Dutch style falls into this category and may confront the scaper with the difficult task of portraying depth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the aquascape above notice the nest of eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eboeagles likes this.
  12. randy0319

Tree stump category

This category takes the viewers perspective down to the roots of a tree in the forest. There can be more then one but we are looking down on a mountain path and examining where we set foot. This style can also be expressed as the roots of a tree seeking nutrients at and below the waters edge as would be seen at any stream or slow moving river. Fish find places to hide and visual exploring can be endless. Of the two perspectives- take your pick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2734.jpg

2730.jpg

2630.jpg
    1670.jpg

1010.jpg

[​IMG]

Silva.jpg
  13. randy0319

Triangle/wedge category

This is a classic category that diagonally divides the tank from one upper corner to the opposite lower corner. If handled properly it can lead the eye of the viewer into the depths of the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Eboeagles likes this.
  14. randy0319

'V' cut category

This is a category that has definite elements of the concave category but also possesses a 'V' cut or line that draws the eye into the aqua-scape. Many variations of this style exist. I have only include the obvious examples.

1832.jpg

200.jpg

3770.jpg

3130.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 3230.jpg
      3230.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
      Views:
  15. randy0319

Waterfall category

This is a dramatic style that uses either sand or filter floss for its affect. Some artists even include a hidden air hose and catch basin to create the effect of falling water within an aquarium. It differs from the next category of streams in that the angle of decent of the 'water' is steeply inclined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

340.jpg
    Eboeagles likes this.
  16. randy0319

River/stream category

Though not as dramatic as a waterfall, the river or stream in aquascaping is a classic that has many interpretations. It conveys a tranquil atmosphere. Two streams are usually the maximum for this iconic design element.

2420.jpg

1920.jpg

1211.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

004.jpg

[​IMG]
    WetElbow, kinyko and Eboeagles like this.
  17. randy0319

forest/Woodland Category

This category is not liked by some but it won the grand prize at the ADA International Aquatic plant layout contest a year or two back so it must have some merit. I like it and have my version in a ten gal tank. A stream or path only adds to its charm with 'trees' acting as visual guideposts to lead the eye into the forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2740.jpg

2460.jpg

1900.jpg

1540.jpg

750.jpg

311.jpg

[​IMG]

Below is a stunning work of talent that makes me wonder if a toy train was involved in inspiring this masterwork.

528212_592239354174275_1608677070_n.jpg

1382889_592240160840861_964762416_n.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    Eboeagles likes this.
  18. randy0319

Non Traditional Categories

One must stretch the boundaries and make strides to innovate. The same can be done to aquascaping. Here are some trail blazers that I admire.
  19. randy0319

Ikebana

Based on the traditional Japanese flower arrangement, this style takes its cue from the rules and guideline that apply to this ancient art form. Below are fine examples of the combination of the two art forms- Japanese flower art, and the art of aquascaping.

[​IMG]

8414860514_f33d05dd05_z.jpg

8402563657_625efbffdf_z.jpg

newfolder 23 030.jpg

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. randy0319

Stonehenge

This style takes its que from the neolithic stone structure found on the British isles. Trilithons and tombulous mounds as are found at New-grange would also fall into this category.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    moss_maniac and Eboeagles like this.