1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascaping and beyond

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Anti-Pjerrot, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I just wanted to talk a little about some of the things I do regarding aquascaping.

I consider myself very dedicated to aquascaping, and of course want people to consider trying some of the techniques and styles that define some of the aspects of aquascaping.

This is why I hold ”lectures” on aquascaping for the aquarium community in Denmark and tries to demonstrate how to setup a tank while explaining why I do this and that, with references to theoretical/philosophical parts.

Giving a demonstration or a lecture on something like aquascaping is something I can recommend to anyone connected with an aquarium community. You can make a Power Point presentation using pictures from the web or your own if you got the time to do it. There is a lot of material out here just waiting to be used. That’s what it’s for.

You can do this with larger groups and perhaps combine it with some practical things:

Show how you tie moss to wood and rocks. Demonstrate an Iwagumi rock formation and let people try it out for them self while you talk some more.

With smaller groups – like a home meeting, you can setup a whole tank and every one can help.

One of the issues I come across is the age barrier. A lot of the people from the aquarium associations in Denmark are +50. They have their +30 years of experience, have a lot of confidence in their methods and are not very fond of participating with questions when they are in larger groups. This is something you have to be aware of. In smaller groups they tend to open up more and ask some good questions – usually about the practical aspects with fertilizers, plant care and such.

If you are not afraid of meeting new people and using some of your spare time, I would strongly suggest you try it out.

Another thing I like is the relationship you get from other people in the hobby, whether there business related (Shops) or just fellow aquarists. You meet a lot of people events like the Art of the Planted Aquarium in Hannover (Germany) or other great shows or gatherings.

At these events you can meet people from various aqua magazines – They usually have the best networks and know the right people. Find them, have a drink and exchange knowledge and acquaintances along with your emails.

When someone knows you they might address others to you and this way you get a bigger network.

Internet is good, but for networking you have to meet people and join them in doing common things to share.

I’ve been working with aquascaping for the last 3-4 years and have already got an ok network.

This week I’m doing a lecture on Nano-tanks and aquascaping, making a little setup along with some Power Point slides. Next weekend I’m meeting with an editor from a Japanese magazine: Tsuyoshi Nakamura and after that I’m going to a conference in Denmark and showing some live aquascaping and telling about technical equipment ex. CO2.

There are a lot of aspects in this hobby you can show and tell about, and you can find what you are good at and do that.

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

[​IMG]

Heres a photo from this weekends aquascaping show where i demostrated nano aquascaping.

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

will you brake this tank down?
    are there handouts on the tables? please comment how the people behaved and if you already converted some of the oldfashion guys 8)

4. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

The tank wasnt even filled. It was only for demonstration purposes.

I made a powerpoint show ~ 1hour where I explained some things about aquascaping: Tips with Nanotanks, proportions, styles, ect.
    Then something about advantages/disadvantages with nanotanks
    And lastly I showed how you setup a Nano tank while explaining what I did in terms of relating to the things I talked about in my presentation.

5. Jurijs mit JS

can you share this ppt ? I´m very interested into how it could look like

6. luckydud13

luckydud13 New Member

I would be very interested in seeing that PPT, because I have to "convince" my dad about a new tank for christmas, and would love to show him this.

7. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

ok - im translating it to english and making it avaliable for dl someplace...

8. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

9. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Here is some pics from today.

I had a visit from Japan.

[​IMG]

I made a little setup too:

[​IMG]

10. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I am really impressed by the level of quality in Japanese aquascaping and generally in their aquarium culture.

I talked for 3 hours about me, danish planted aquariums, and what the danish style is (or the lack of), but I really felt that is should have been me asking all the questions since i had soo much to learn from them.

I really want to go to Japan and learn more from them about their way. (Anyone with me?)

11. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Join next year ADA IAPLC party and you will meet many aquascaper around the world ;)

12. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Well - id love to. But if I should go to Japan (Since its pretty far from Denmark and very expensive to travel) it should be for more than just the party. I would like to get some "hands on" knowledge/experience like a worksshop or the likes.

13. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately the workshop only open to distributor and fish shop which selling ADA product. Unless you are in that category.

14. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Maybe someday :)

15. Jurijs mit JS

I would like to visit the Na gallery but the flight tickets are too expansive for me :(