1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascape Inspiration

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by youngsai, May 8, 2008.

1. youngsai

youngsai New Member

Hello all,

I was trying to come up with some inspiration for my new 10 gallon and was looking at some of the great tanks over the years, and I got the idea for this post. For me, and it seems like for a lot others, there is always one tank that inspired them to start in this wonderful hobby, so I wanted to create a thread that both paid homage to them and helped me choose a style for my own tank, by asking a simple question....what tank inspired you to start? Or, in other words, what is your favorite aquascape (I realize how hard of a question this might be so maybe just post your favorite right now)? Here is my favorite so far...

Practical Fishkeeping magazine | Blog: The worlds top 27 nature aquariums

2. Joe Faria

Joe Faria New Member

Personally I bought Nature Aquarium World's books from Takashi Amano 3 or 4 years ago... it gave me enough reasons :)).

Regards,

Joe Faria.

3. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Too many to list there are some many scapes that have inspired me.

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

This tank by PJ will remain my favorite of all time. Nearly 4 years since it was created there has been no other aquascape like it.

[​IMG]

-John N.

5. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Thats a great tank John. What kind of lilly is that?

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

The Green Lotus is known as Nymphaea glandulifera. It's a beautiful, but fast growing plant. When I kept it, it would grow to the top of the tank in about a week or two. So it's a constant battle of chopping down the leaves.

-John N.

7. youngsai

youngsai New Member

I figured a lot of responses would be in the form of they're too many to name..Maybe if you guys just want to post pics of your favorites right now...

John I saw a picture of that scape from the top with the Lotus flower growing on the break of the water...absolutely breathtaking, I might try to grow one in my tank. Depends on the style I pick.

8. dougz

dougz New Member

Here are the the kind that I like

(open space at the back, focal point at 1.61, weathered rock, full of character )..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. youngsai

youngsai New Member

Dougz, I actually lean towards mountainous looking scapes as my favorite as well, I actually have a question regarding those...How do they get the rocks to look so weathered and full of character? Is it just rock selection? Also what material of rock are used in aquascapes? What kinds of rocks are safe for an aquarium and is there a specialized place I can get these rocks with such character? If not, how do I develop this character? I think I've chosen an iwagumi as my first style, hence all the questions...Thanks for the help guys!

-Joshua

10. dougz

dougz New Member

I'm wondering that myself..

I don't know WHERE they get these great rocks..

Diamonds in the rough, that's for sure..

There are stones known as Manten and Seiryu stone from Japan..

They're beautiful..

You can get them from this place:

aqua forest aquarium

But if that's too rich for your blood, you can look for weathered-looking rocks from landscaping supply stores, though the sizes of the rock will be generally bigger than what you need for an aquarium..

You could try looking around the mountains and streams around your area, but I tried theis, and came up with nothing much at all.. Just some shale, and gypsum.. :(

Sometimes they have some interesting petrified wood on Ebay..

[​IMG]

11. oregonaqua

oregonaqua New Member

my favirote is this one i wish i had the time or money to try one like this![​IMG]

12. dougz

dougz New Member

Yeah, those are neat.. :)

I've seen a few, and they are very cool..

Must take alot of work, though..

13. youngsai

youngsai New Member

This one is sweet, I like bonsai's also and I've thought of creating a terrarium like that with a bonsai, maybe a ficus bc they are a tropical tree species, would be on the link i posted at the top of this thread there is one like this that looks really cool