1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquascape critique wanted

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jellopuddinpop, Apr 15, 2017.

1. jellopuddinpop

jellopuddinpop New Member

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm in the process of setting up a new tank, and it will be my first try at an iwagumi layout. I would really like some input from others, and any critique you could offer is appreciated. As a little insight, the goal is to have a grassy path (DHG Belem) going from roughly the center of the tank to the back right, S. Repens along the sides, A. Reineckii in between the rocks, Crypt Balensae along the back, and Bucephelandra along the front of all of the rocks. This is in a 125G tank.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HenrySheehan likes this.
  2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Needs a focal point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orlandog7 and kabriolet like this.
  3. jellopuddinpop

The goal was the have the grassy path going to the back as the main focal point, and any larger rocks I tried to put in seemed like they would distract. Where would you place a larger, more prominent rock? I have a lot I could try.

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

jellopuddinpop

First welcome to ASW will you complete your Profile by adding in your location in the USA not abbreviations please.

Iwagumi would be one of the hardest Aquascape to do as every thing must be perfect to give it the Iwagumi look and appeal.

My suggestion would be called it Rocky ?????? reason being its not an Iwagumi.

At the moment what you have is a large well set up tank that looks like you are going High Tech.

As for your Aquascape, the substrate is flat and the rocks have plenty of character which is very good.

It also looks like you have two heights the larger rocks and the medium rocks not including a few chips that could be easily lost in the planting.

I fully agree with lucasgg it certainly lacks a focal point, usually done by a higher substrate and a taller rock.

Before you go any further I strongly suggest you do plenty of research from the links I have given you.

Sorry if I have been too strong in my comments but I can see by your set up you want some thing special to show it of not just a few rocks very carefully placed.
    I will always try to be very constructive in my criticisms when it is asked for.

https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/iwagumi-aquascapes-introduction/
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...&tbm=isch&gws_rd=cr&ei=577yWLHHGcqY0gTViJn4Dw

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-set-up-an-iwagumi-aquarium

Keith:cat::cat:

5. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Agree with Lucas and Keith, take your time with hardscape took me weeks. Will pay off long term

Sent from my Mobile using Tapatalk

kabriolet likes this.
  6. keithgh

Zeus

Am I correct your earlier attempt and as it is now.

Oh what a difference time makes.

This is just one example of what can be achieved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

So glad i listened to all the input . When i went to the green machine i was told James does the same, plays with the hardscape for weeks till he's happy with it, that's with his experience too. Still tweaks to do with mine plant wise but that's expected with my newbie status plus seeing how the plants grow.
    I've seen i few posts of folk asking for input then flooding within a few days, fully understandable as we all get very excited with our creations, but a little patience can play off long term as hardscape changes latter can be so time consuming and difficult esp with larger tanks.

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

Zeus

If I remember correctly I played with the Aquascape in the Jebo Bow fronted tank for many weeks. Being a Bow Fronted tank it offered a few challenges but I persevered. I was tweaking it right up till I pulled it down.

jellopuddinpop challenge will be its a longer tank than what you expect to see an Iwagumi Aquascape that is the reason I suggested calling it a Rocky????.

9. keithgh

jellopuddinpop

Here are a few larger rocky Aquascapes that might give you an idea what can be done in a large tank. Note the various rock heights and how they are positioned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

kabriolet likes this.
  10. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Moderator Staff Member

Hi, looks good... bigger rocks may give you more options tho'....it's much easier if you have a good selection of raw materials to choose from, especially when you're just starting out.

You may find that it all starts to come together quite naturally then.

Also iwagumi is an art form but there are rules/guidlines to help. Take a look at these links, they may help...;)

http://www.suiseki.com/evaluating/index.html
    http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/create-an-iwugami-aquascape

One of the best Iwagumi scapes I've seen, is George Farmer's Project Scree...

[​IMG]

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  11. keithgh

Tim by the time jellopuddinpop reads and understands all the research we have give him he will certainly understand a lot more about Aquascaping all he has to do now is put it all together and, come up with an excellent Aquascape.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  12. jellopuddinpop

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I can appreciate the difficulty of creating a true Iwagumi now!

While I can understand the differences between whatever I created and a true Iwagumi, the more I've thought about it, the more I like what I did better (for my tastes).

I don't mean to sound unappreciative, and will certainly be doing more research for my next tank, I really was trying for the focal point of this tank to be the grassy slope going from center to back left. I've tried changing things to be more "correct", but it always seems to ruin the other effects I'm trying to achieve.

Again, that you all for your help! I'll update this post after planting and again once it's grown out.

TryHardDutchScaper and Zeus like this.
  13. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

X is where two larger, more dominant rocks would (I think) look best. I'll leave it to you to decide what direction they would face and which would be the largest/most dominant. The green lines represent your desired grass path. I would recommend using smaller visually supporting rocks fanning outwards similar to the last picture. You have a lot of linear space to fill so take your time to get things perfect.

Image003(1).jpg

Attached Files:

TryHardDutchScaper and kabriolet like this.
  14. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

There's only one person who needs to be happy with after all

kabriolet likes this.
  15. keithgh

jellopuddinpop

What zeus said is extremely important all we can do is guide you in creating a well designed Aquascape but its your tank you have to look at in your home therefore its up to you what you do as long as you are pleased with the result.

I will also add you are on a very long slow learning curve and every new Aquascape will be better than the previous one.

[​IMG]
    Here are your main focal points. If you use a masking tape on the front of your tank you with have the major focal points. I would use the top two as a starter as lucasgg suggested.

[​IMG]
    You might be able to this design curve using what rocks you have.

kabriolet and Zeus like this.