1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquariums Like a Butterfly

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ilaymir, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ilaymir

ilaymir New Member

Aquariums Like a Butterfly

Some mini fresh water aquariums designed by Mr. Slobodan Lazarevic haven been lately published under the nickname "Octopus". As those tanks posted under different threads I've thought that it would be better to write my opinions under this topic
    alltogether..
    These micro tanks are like butterfleys IMHO.
    I mean they have a beautiful and elegant look just like butterflys.But at the same time they are short-lived and fragile like them.In an aquarium layout one of the most importants things is it's sustainability.In such micro tanks setting biological equilibrium and keeping it in that way for a long time is not possible.To have a healty look in these aquariums you need a repeating and often water change.Additionally algaes on the glass and plants should be cleaned constantly.Even you may have to take plants out of tank completely form time to time to clean and than put back.
    In aquraim design the main goal should not be for a short period but long time sustanaibility and practability.Someone who is in love with planted aquariums should not forget this goal by losing himself at the charm of the visiuals.
    If I comment about the tanks alltogether:

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/379-el-lazarinjo.html

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/408-mini-iwagumi.html
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/391-el-poco.html
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/525-charming-hill.html
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/718-mountain-lake.html
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/760-valley-silence.html

mini tanks at those links are beautiful while they don't have something special.
    -----

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/364-edge-forest.html

but the tank at this link is very good but it does not have a new kind of approach.

-----

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquascaping-showcase/685-crystal-lake.html

and the tank at this link is such gorgeous that I think one in similar quality cannot be designed even by master Amano.This tank reminds me a landscape from "Lord of the Rings."
    Instead of these negativities it is pleasure to watch a butterfly even you know it has a short life.
    Thank you Slobodan Lazarevic.

Regards

ilaymir

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Well I think that can only go for your personal opinion.

A tank can be setup to be either.
    If the intention of the tank is to create a short term, micro tank - well then mission accomplished.

But I dont feel that was the attention with any of the tanks.

I personally dont strive to accomplish a long term tank, but if its possible -- well then its a bonus. But for me the satisfaction comes in creation a underwater landscape whatever i has to do to obtain it. Ferts, CO2, months of preperation, and hours of constant care are just some of the things that are the fun in aquascaping...

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Anti Pjerrot ist absolutely right, but is nice to have all the links together - thanks for the work putting them together.

4. ilaymir

ilaymir New Member

Mr Anti-Pjerrot,
    This is not only my personal opinion.For example:
    -Jury at the AGA contest makes judgements on four areas.One of those is "Viability of Aquascape" .It has points between (1-15).
    -In AGA contests juries rank aquascapes at six criterias.One of those is "Aquatic Plants Condition and Time progress"
    Similar standarts do also have a place at contests by NBAT.
    How can it be explained ignoring such main criterias?
    In stead of ice cream some may want to eat snow and also no doubt it can be considered as a personal preference.
    Regards

ilaymir

5. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

I believe some tanks are designed for the simple reason of personal pleasure. Not all scapes are done with the intention of entering into contest with such criteria. Just the fact that Laza was able to create such a beautiful scape at such a small scale is worthy of all the recognition.

If you look at all scapes with only the criteria of ADA and AGA contest then some of the pure beauty will be missed.

6. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Yes - not all can be determined by judges in a contest. We has to accept that aquascaping can be a personal matter - even though some does not accept the criteria under witch it can be.

7. HatchetHaven

HatchetHaven New Member

Excellent point made. I never scape my tanks for aquascaping contests - I just do it for my own pleasure.

8. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

I think it would be impossible to signify what actually consitutes an aquascape. It's as the others have said and everything in between. If entering a contest that's another story based on the criteria of said contest. Personally I believe many scapes and the effort that is put forth is based on one's "lifestyle" And what I mean is if you have the time and interest one might go "all out" and put everything into it in terms of layout, equipment, photographic ability, etc. as someone like Octopus does and we all reap the benefits of seeing all that effort here at ASW, but others might not have the time and/or desire and might simply love their aquascape that consists of a strategically place rock in a grassy field.

9. ilaymir

ilaymir New Member

Dear Roy,

My goal was to emphasize that these kinds of tanks do not have a long life span and do need constant care.The right thing is to understand the problems they have as much their beauty.How many people know about it on this forum?
    It should not be forgetten, the useful advices are the ones that are given for major problems. If the problematic areas of applications are not explained then those who are not aware may take them as ideals.
    As stated by G.Bruno:"If you button up one wrong then others will follow it".Now this is what I tried to prevent.
    Sure everyone is free to do whatever they want.
    .-Neverthless, if you think "sustanability in a tank is your personal preference",I have to repeat what I've said above as an answer.
    -Dear Roy,an eye that can see does not miss beauty.Also it never forgets just like a good teacher never does.

Regards

ilaymir

10. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

I think his aquascapes are fantastic masterpieces to behold, and I thank him for sharing them. Whether they last an hour or years from completion. I have kept a nano reef tank since 2005, and began setting up nano planted tanks last year. They are still going strong and are beautiful to me, whether they reach your criteria or any judge out there. Lest we forget as well, judges are people with opinions, just like you or I.