1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aquarium HDR

Discussion in 'Aquatic Photography' started by Raven, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

Hi,
    I wanted to share some experimenting trials I have done on HDR photography technique , using one of my tanks.
    I have often used high dynamic range photography on landscapes and architecture themes and sometimes I like the results while others not so much..

Same here, I do have mixed feelings. One one hand there is something artistic about the image, while on the other hand the natural feeling is lost.

normal photo
    [​IMG]

HDR
    [​IMG]

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

The HDR photo looks very odd. I'm not sure that I've seen many phoos like it.

3. saumya

saumya New Member

there is a lot of blurring on the right side of he image...did you use a camera HDR setting that caused this?

4. wet

wet New Member

Gorgeous. Thanks!

5. flygja

flygja New Member

It does look a bit weird, not natural enough?

6. Raven

Raven New Member

Μy camera does not have bracketing, so I merged 7 RAW shots of different f stops. In one of these shots the paradise gurami mooved suddenly on the right side of the tank and coused that blurring. I could exclude this shot , which would remove the ghosting.
    The point is that there is a different prespective of showing a tank, but the moving objects (fish) create ghosts.

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

it is interesting. I would love to see many contest style tanks in video form, or unprocessed pictures. It would give many a good idea of what a great planted tank looks like in person.

From what I have managed to see, there is a BIG difference between the contest picture and how the tank may look in person or in an unprocessed photo. Photography can do wonders. The tanks are still beautiful non the less...but not "the same".

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

tanks are like humans, some are look good on photos but don't in person and others are exactly the opposite, doesn't look good in photos but are brilliant in person.

Going for video contest - guys with HD Camera and best equipment will again produce stunning videos. ADA Distributors should visit each participant and take photographs themselves :))

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I want to see videos for my own benefit, so I can see what photos don't allow me to see. Next best thing to crawling in it...

10. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

I have been trying and testing hdr on Aquarium for a few months now and so far while I like the artistic aspect of it, they sure do not look natural. They also vary a lot depending upon light setup and shadows. An iwagumi tank for example looks no better with top only lighting and hdr. Somewhat better with angled or background lighting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

HDR only works if there's extended dynamic range the camera can't capture in one exposure. High being too high or low being too low. The idea is to fit in what our eye automatically compensates for. Usually blown highlights or lost detail in the shadows.

12. Raven

Raven New Member

Ηi Stan,
    you have right on that. One can see the difference in that pelia on the left side. This plant mass is difficult to capture in details in normal photo ,for it is in the shadow.

But some photographers are using hdr even in portraits or landscapes with odd results. Odd is not necessarily bad...it can be art.

I wish only that we could really see a true HDR. I believe it is still too early for that technique as HDR photos are 32 bits and there are no monitors yet to show that file. I am keeping my HDR files in a folder hoping that in the future 32bit monitors will appear. Till then all we see is a 16 bit copy/version.

13. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

It looks like an hd rendering not a real photo..

I also tried hdr on my tank a few years ago, your photo is way better.

Whatever about the hdr though, coz your tank is awesome!

14. Raven

Raven New Member

Thank you wearsbunnyslippers. My first try on HDR+aquarium was very poor too..

This is my super ordinary-economic-every day tank. Low light, low maintenance, nonCO2 and no heater. No fertilizers till now, rarely trimming the plants.
    All it needs is feeding the fish and WC every week. I love this tank ! so refreshing after the high-tech large show tanks !! Glad you like it :Happy: