1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aqua (not-so) newby

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by dzanan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. dzanan

dzanan New Member

Hi everybody !

I've been around this forum, but mostly as a bystander :). My name is difficult to pronounce, but it's closest to the Italian Gianni. Living in Sarajevo, Bosnia.
    I am 47 and have had aquariums since I was 9. I have tried everything (more or less) and there were not much challenges left in this "business" except maybe to try become a pro. So, there I was last spring, watching my Discusses which I managed to breed (in common aquarium, with very hard water), thinking of what next ! There it was, aquascaping, let's do it ! Tried to sell my Discusses, but eventually I traded them for a second-hand CO2. Not that bad trade.
    Until now, I have always treated an aquarium as a tank for fish with plants as a necessity. Now, it's been 2,5 months since I had to switch my mind set-up and think plants, not fish. We'll see how it is going to go, since very often I have to slap my hands in order not to get some fish(es) that I can keep in this temperature.
    Must admit, it was pretty difficult to watch aquarium with two breeds only (Discuss and a school of Cardinals) and very few plants that can survive 30C temperature. Having no plant was not an option. I even managed to keep few Anubias some time ago when I had Cyclids. So now, I have few of my absolutely most favorite guys (8 Corrys - 4 Pandas and 4 Tri-lined), same school of Cardinals ( managed to save them lowering the temp. from 30 to 24) and a handful of Red Cherries. I know some will object the presence of the Corries, but I just love them. Not having them having them in the Discuss tank for three years is far too long for me.
    So, I started my plant tank two and half months ago, with no idea how should my first scape look like. I had only few parameters - it had to be vibrant, colorful and rich. I decided to take it easy and to consider different ideas as they come. Therefore, you will see that I was moving plants around, some of them introduced in a later stage and some that were here at the beginning were kicked out. A plant or two are there, just to see how will it go, how they fit, how will they grow....Actually, I did not feel like kicking them out at the moment and just left them to grow. Maybe I think of a good use for them. However, when I reach the final stage, I will try to stick to the 1 plant per 10 cm rule.
    So the tank is 100x40x50, three lamps T8 (2x 90 cm and 1x 75cm) with total 110 watts. Unfortunately, one cannot buy anything stronger here. I am going to Slovenia in a few weeks time and will seek for something stronger.
    Substrate: Sera Floredepot 10 kg
    No additives until two weeks ago when I started adding Easylife ProFito , 5 ml every second day.
    Water change 45 liters twice a week.
    Light 11 hrs a day.
    So thi is how it started on June 6

Attached Files:

ghostmonk and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. dzanan

dzanan New Member

So, I started with two kinds of Cryptocorine (Balansae and Brown) , Anubias Nana, Hydrocotyle tripartita and Hemiantus.
    On June 16 it looked like this:
    June 16 2013.JPG

lucasgg and nick.scott like this.
  3. dzanan

dzanan New Member

July 1st July 1 2013.JPG

4. dzanan

dzanan New Member

July 12 July 12 2013.JPG

nick.scott likes this.
  5. dzanan

dzanan New Member

Just 10 minutes ago. I was out of CO2 since last Saturday until this morning. August 3 2013.JPG

lucasgg and nick.scott like this.
  6. dzanan

dzanan New Member

Now, I am thinking of completely removing Nana, letting more space to Hygrophila in LH corner, partly carpeting with Hydrocotyle. Making up my mind caused Hydroctile looking overgrown. If I decide to leave Nana, I will trim it. Also, still have to trim the moss.

7. dzanan

dzanan New Member

I would kindly ask admin to move my thread to General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions. Sorry :(

8. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi dzanan, Welcome To ASW Your off to a good start Love the design & DW:) Substrate looks too flat :( Can you mound up substrate under DW And add some more river stones around DW;) Just a idea

9. dzanan

dzanan New Member

Thanks mate !
    The substrate is flat, fully agree. That is exactly the consequence of the absence of ideas at the start, and maybe me not "daring" to throw myself from the nest of a classical fish plant :). I will surely consider your suggestion!
    For my first scape I thought of having the carpeted surface, somehow I liked it always at plant tanks. That is maybe why I didn't think in "rocking" direction.

10. greenfinger 2

Hi dzanan, The last pic Fab :D Moss on DW needs a trim RH side planting Needs a trim to fill out that side :) But Overall I like ;)

dzanan likes this.
  11. dzanan

dzanan New Member

Thanks ! :)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Dzanan

Greenfinger beat me to it sorry to say its way too flat to the point it makes it all uninteresting when you had a beautiful piece of Driftwood to work with.
    [​IMG]
    This is what I was referring to at least 10-15cm+ in that back LH corner and taper it to the front RH and LH corners.

The same applies to making an Island lift it up 15cm+more if possible to give it shape and make it an interesting Aquascape to look at and admire.

I only wish you had started posting as soon as you started if so we would be saying WOW that is looking great now.

Sorry if I seem rather harsh but I would rather do it this way than say its fantastic like many do in other Forums.

Keith:):)

dzanan likes this.
  13. dzanan

dzanan New Member

@Keith, the only thing I will mind is that now, you two guys made me soak my hands and do the big rearrangement :cool:. Thanks ! If you didn't waist your time working on the photo, I shouldn't be shy to do something about this tank. Yes, I've got the point and love the idea :).
    Now I just have to think of how to do it with least "pain".

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  14. keithgh

Dzanan

Roy and myself work together a lot, close to the same age but I am the older 75 years young.
    He will come up with something even a photo of something he saw in his area and we work from that.

The big difference when any one does an Aquascape they look at every thing in the general area all we can see is a small photo and some times it can be a disadvantage.

If you think carefully I have you two suggestions a corner lift or an Island lift.

Once you have done that then we get down to the fine details.

Picky yes BUT in the end you will be surprised what you have created.

I am very lucky I can see the outcome long before its started.

You do all the work we just suggest alternatives

Ohly likes this.
  15. dzanan

dzanan New Member

yap, exactly the thing I didn't have - a vision how should it look like at the end :) . Still didn't decide - an island or just lifting by substrate.
    If I step on some nice rocks, might be an island. Anyway, in few days I will make some changes.
    Regarding the RH corner, I just planted and divided them and awaiting to grow enough. I will also consider removing Nana once I lift the DW.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  16. dzanan

dzanan New Member

just spent 4 hrs....
    -lifted DW with sand (happy with looks, could be improved, probably by some rocks)
    - removed completely Nana and Hydrocotyle. Replaced Hydrocotyle with Hemianthus (happy)
    - reshuffled some plants (not happy yet)
    - probably removing Lotus
    pic tomorrow :)

keithgh likes this.
  17. dzanan

dzanan New Member

still no vision...:confused:

18. greenfinger 2

Hi dzanan, Sometimes it takes time too see the overall look of a Scape ;) You have just moved thing around :( So at the moment its hard to see where the Scape is going :confused: Take your time no rush :) Then things will come together (y) The Vision will come:D Looking forward to update pics (y)

keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

Now that is a very good sign you are thinking even if you do not know what to do help is close.

Just sit back and relax for a few days and post photos when you can please.

20. dzanan

dzanan New Member

sorry, no time :)

Anyway, this is how it looks now. I am not sure if I moved the DW to far right, maybe it should go back few centimeters. Also completely removed moss from some branches.
    Left:
    1. I had to move Ludvigia Glandulosa to the left and in the mid-ground. In general, I have a problem with red plants in rear. My bulbs are settled good 15 cm from the back edge, which results in insufficient light in rear part. The best light is in mid-ground.
    2. I placed the Ludwigia in far left corner since it will not be that badly affected by the lack of direct light. And it will looks nice when bushy

Middle:

1. Making a bush of Sunset.
    2. I got 2 stems as a gift (not possible to buy in shops) of the Myrio Tuberculatum Red. I simply love it. For the time being managed to get 5-6 stems of them.
    3. Rubin also has problems due to insufficient light and I am wondering if I should maybe remove it completely. It is turning green slowly.
    4. In the mid-ground, in the triangle behind the DW's leg, I am thinking of planting something like Cryptocoryne wendtee tropica and Blyxa. Just ordered few Cryptocorynas by e-bay in order to see how it goes.

Right:
    Do not know what to do with the right corner. Not sure if I lust leave it and shape Rotalla around the Red Lotus or remove the Lotus completely August 8 2013_2.JPG