1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

April 2011 AquaScape of the Month: Eternal Tranquility

Discussion in 'Aquascape of the Month (AOTM)' started by Jurijs mit JS, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

April 2011 Aquascape of the Month

INTRODUCTION
    [float_left] [​IMG][/float_left]Hello, my name is Eduard Gercog (Edis) and I am 28 years old. Born in Moldova, Lithuanian currently living in London, UK.

It is a great honor to me to be featured in Aquascape of the month section. AOTMs are one of my favorite parts of the AquascapingWorld forum. I have joined this wonderful world of aquascaping just a little less than 2 years ago after like many others accidentally seeing and falling in love with Takashi Amano work. It has become a true passion and obsession shortly. I have kept fish tank with some plants as I remember when I was about 12 for couple years. I remember I didn’t even have any filtration and not even knew about the ammonia cycle at that point. Could tell you what plants I had but was excited to see even a slow growth. Then things changed and we were moving too much to keep the tank but after moving to London finally one day I thought why not to get a little tank for our office.

Well… Just one little tank didn’t stay for long ☺

I am currently running 4 high tech tanks to speed up the learning process.

AQUASCAPING TECHNIQUES[float_right][​IMG][/float_right]
    Initial Conception of the Scape

One thing what differs this scape from many other similar nanos is that it had to be prepared for a set deadline which was 3 months after the initial planting and had to look decent on precise day. This tank was showcased on UKAPS stand during the Vivarium 2011 show in Holland. It was taken drained, transported to the show from London and assembled back together there using glassware all round, minimal ADA style cabinet, DIY lighting fixture and cheap IKEA lamp which matched overall look perfectly. It had then travelled back home and is up and running again. I have chosen the Title Eternal Tranquility for its long expected lifespan and great sense of tranquility it gives when looking at all those greens.

Arranging the Hardscape

Driftwood used is unusual for the hobby Brazilian hardwood which I wanted to test I can say I had no toxicity issues. Great shapes and sinks immediately. 3 pieces of Seiryu rock all setup on Colombo Florabase substrate.
    Slope is not too steep as I was afraid it could slide when transported. Due to the small size of aquarium and limited availability of wood to choose from I haven’t been tortured by creativity Musa for too long and the layout idea came fast. The goal was classic Nature Style aquarium.[float_right][​IMG][/float_right]

Planting and Trimming Techniques

Not much to tell here. Usual trimming. Maybe one thing to mention is that last few weeks I tried to selectively trim HC in front to keep it decent for the show and not to over trim it. Rule of Thirds was followed with some plants positioning such as Arcuata, Java ‘Needle’, Anubias Petite and Wood. The aim was to get natural feel of Nature.

GREATEST CHALLENGES

The greatest challenges as I have mentioned before was to get scape ready for a day of the show. I have also used a very little amount of plants which all came from my other tanks. For this reason I have used 2x11w lights initially very close to the water surface which is quite high light for this size tank. That together with my laziness to monitor CO2 properly gave me heavy green dust algae outbreak. I have tried to use ‘leave it for 3 weeks to cycle’ method and didn’t touch it for entire month. Could not see through the glass completely. It did die and came of very easily just 3 weeks before the show. I did try to come back but much less. Water changes were performed daily for few weeks before the show. Takes less than 5 minutes on this size tank so not a big problem. The lighting is reduced to 11w now. Everything grows well. The tank looks very clean and is easy to trim and control. Water changes reduced to once a week. I will try and see how the tank could be maintained long term with low light. [float_right][​IMG]
    [/float_right]

FINAL THOUGHTS & ADVICE

For the reason of being quite new to this hobby I find something new and interesting every day.
    My advice for new aquascapers would be to read and learn from others work more. Thankfully there is loads of information online. We should all take our hats off to people who made this hobby possible and easy for us and kept trying years ago when no equipment or information was available. Imagine Amano sitting on a rainy day in front of the tank with a bottle of soda and thinking why not to try to put some in. That’s how he discovered CO2.
    I hope I continue this wonderful hobby for many years.
    Thank you for your attention.

[float_right][​IMG][/float_right]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Gyta likes this.
  2. MrGhostRider

MrGhostRider New Member

This trunk is that you use a root or is gall?

3. Markus

Markus New Member

Really nice work. I like that way the light source is set up.

4. Float

Float New Member

Amazing scape and videos, it is great to see such detail of equipment and see the tank more three dimensionally than with just a simple photo, as I have yet to see an amazing aquascape in person this is the next best thing.

Thanks so much for your comments regarding your techniques and materials used as well. I found it very interesting and informative, as I am still new to this.

5. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

love the tank. well done for a fairly small tank. and the lighting setup is great too! wish i could getmyself something proper like that. but i find it hard to find some proper lights!

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

The light is from Ikea with a diy stand!

7. mfn

mfn New Member

nice work love the tank. thank u 4 ur sharing information

8. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

breath taking work! Your tanks are really beautiful and quite inspiring!---R

9. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

Thanks guys. The lights are indeed cheap Ikea lights with DIY stand. Aquaruim was growing with 2x11w lights and then turned to just 1. I think I would have struggled to have nice hc with just 11w.
    Cheers.

10. mlgt

mlgt New Member

Lovely looking tank. I managed to catch this in the flesh recently.