1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone give me and tips on my first aquascape, Pictures included!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Gary Murphy, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah thats what I though my tank dimension is 50 Width 44 Height and the wood in the picture is 50 Width 49 Height so would come out of the top if my tank slightly. You think it would look good filling the tank like that?

lucasgg likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Gary,

You can always trim the wood back to fit the tank ;)

3. Gary Murphy

Right guys ive had a re think and have gone and ordered a new piece of Red Moor thats going to come slightly out of my tank by a few centimeters and should fill it a lot better. I will upload pictures as soon as it arrives.

Here is the piece I have arriving in the next few day :)[​IMG]

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

This is a great piece. The way limbs weave and wander has always so intriguing to me.

Something that I like do with my dry driftwood setup is to create as many triangles between the limbs. It makes for an interesting hardscape.

Another technique that I use is moving smaller sized rocks to help visually balance where the driftwood leads the eye(where you are led to look). Experiment and see how different rock positions move the eye.

5. Gary Murphy

Thanks i think this piece is a lot more suitable to my tank with it adding more height :)

I'm going to completely empty my tank later this week and position my Red Moor and from there decide what stones, rock and plants are going to be most suitable.

Can you suggest any good stone/rock that looks nice with Red Moor? I was looking at Seriyu Stone but there doesn't seem many places in the UK that sell it.

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Gary Murphy and greenfinger 2 like this.
  7. greenfinger 2

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Roy that is a nice looking hardscape using the Baltic rock.

Keith:):)

9. Gary Murphy

Really helpful Link, Thank you. I really like the look of the rocks around the bottom of the Red Moor it makes it look really interesting :)

Yeah I really like that Baltic Rock its spot on :)

Once ive got my wood in the tank, Any suggestions on plant and rock placement would be really helpful.

10. Gary Murphy

I also liked the look of this Dragon Stone :)

These are the exact pieces im considering getting.

[​IMG]

11. Gary Murphy

So this is what im thinking along with the wood. I think it would look really good together. What you guys think?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. greenfinger 2

Hi Gary, I think the two will go great in a scape :)
    One thing the substrate that you are going to use (Tetra Complete Substrate) will need capping with something like a small gravel and then plant through the upper layer.

Some info on the rock

Dragon stone
    has very unique appearance. Very common in modern aquascaping and can be well used in shrimp aquariums successfully providing shrimp with lots and lots of micro caves to hide and breed.

Dragon stone is inerts.

One of the distinct features is a possibility to break it easily into smaller pieces either to create a graded stone appearance or just to adjust a particular stone to a desired shape.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Gary Murphy likes this.
  13. greenfinger 2

14. greenfinger 2

Hi Gary, I found out why you could not find Seiryu stone .
    Its not call that over here much ?? its called Mini landscaping rock ??? :D

Mini Landscape Aquarium Rock has become very popular with Iwagumi aquariums where the main focus is on the rocks and the plants complement the over all set up. World famous Aquascaper Takashi Amano uses these rocks with great effect in many of his set ups - the only difference is he calls the rocks Seiryu Stone. -

See more at: http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/mini-landscape-rock-per-kg-p-1437.html#sthash.mWYCh47J.dpuf

15. Gary Murphy

Hey,

Yeah I was told i could cap it using sand or gravel so i went with sand in the end as i prefer its appearance.

Yeah im really liking the look if the Dragon Stone as it is very unique and pleasing on the eye. I was wondering why I couldn't find Seiryu Stone here in the UK, My search options was only coming up for it be imported from America.

Im just looking for a few nice stones to put around the center piece of wood and maybe have one or two scattered around to give it a natural look. Im going to got for a nice carpeting plant and some mid plants around the Red Moor. I haven't decided on a background plant yet but i was looking for something that's going to be easy to cut back and maintain.

16. Gary Murphy

Right guys just an update i decided to go for Dragon Stone :) I think this is going to look really good. Im going to start a Journal towards the end of the week and update it on a weekly basis.

Thanks for all the advice given by everyone its been much appreciated ;)

greenfinger 2 and ShadowMac like this.
  17. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gary, welcome to ASW. I see you are well on your way. I'll just pop in with a few of my thoughts:

Getting a good hardscape is critical to making an aquascape look good, particularly for beginners. It takes time to learn how plants grow, which ones look good in combination and how to do this. As has been mentioned your original hardscape was just undersized for your tank. Looks like you are getting that taken care of.

Avoid dwarf baby tears aka HC aka Hemianthus callitrichoides with DIY CO2 and as a beginner. Best to try that after you've acquired some experience and pressurized CO2. Monte carlo is a better option, although I haven't seen it grow in DIY CO2 setups....but haven't tried either. It is robust, easy, and will form a nice thick carpet with regular trimming.

Plan as densely as you can in the beginning. Get all the plants your budget will allow. I don't mean lots of varieties (3-5 species), but get enough to plant the tank heavily at the start. Many beginners buy only one pot and try to spread it around the entire tank. This is a bad idea, the more plant density the better start you will have. For your scape I suggest a small anubias species combined with small ferns like needle leaf java or trident java fern. You could also do bolbitus fern instead. Attach these densely to the base of the wood so the branches stick out above, to which you tie moss like in the first photos. Behind you could try a stem plant like a Ludwigia species, Myriophyllum species, or combination thereof. I suggest those two since they tend to grow easily in lower CO2 setups. Trimming them back every once in a while below the site line of the ferns will cause them to grow bushy (successive trims just a little higher than the previous will create a dense bush, every once in a long while you will have to start the process over and trim way back to maintain healthy plants). I'd leave everywhere else for the monte carlo to carpet.

One final piece of advice, when beginning perform frequent water changes. This helps the plants get the best start they can. Once established (3-4 weeks) you can decrease the number of water changes. Once a week is best, but you can get away with less in low energy systems with lower light and non pressurized CO2.

Best of luck and have fun with it!

greenfinger 2 and Gary Murphy like this.
  18. Gary Murphy

Thank, Im glad I joined ASW ive been given some really good advice on here :)

Yeah this hardscape should have a lot more height to it which makes sense with having a taller tank.

Yeah a few people said to avoid the Baby Tears. I do like the look of that Monte Carlo it looks like it would form a very nice carpet and with me been new to aquarium plants it sounds like a good plant to start with.

That sounds like a really good idea with the Fern and im also going to put some rocks at the base of the Red Moor aswell, So should go together nicely. Ive got some java moss that I was planning to tie to a few of the bigger branches.

I generally do a 25% water change on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the suggestions its giving me a lot to think about (y)

ShadowMac likes this.
  19. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

with the java moss, trim it regularly so it doesn't get out of control. Also, turn off any water flow before trimming then siphon out the trimmings with a little hose to keep it from getting everywhere.

Gary Murphy likes this.
  20. Gary Murphy

This is an idea of what plants i might use and where i might place them. Any suggestions or recommended plants to use?

Thanks (y) plant idea.png

lucasgg likes this.