1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever come across one of these little buggers?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by ShadowMac, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I found this critter in my tank about a week ago. With the help of some smart individuals on The Barr Report I was able to get an identification, a dragonfly nymph. I haven't been able to find him since to remove him. Turns out the little bastard will eat my shrimp and any small fish such as tetras.

Always more lessons, make sure you do a good washing with bleach or KMnO4 before adding plants to your tank.

Just thought I would share. Any tips on an easy way to remove it other than ripping my tank apart would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi,
    I was lucky to get it with the fish net.

It already looks quite adult, maybe it will turn into an dragonfly soon and pop out of the tank

3. ShadowMac

Barely half an inch long so it has a way to go. Its hard to find. I wonder if any type of food could bring it out of hiding?

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

try your best, maybe you can use a water hose and vacuum it of the tank?!

5. Gill

Gill New Member

They Love Mozzies and Bloodworm, try adding some live mozzies and see if that temopts him out.

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Freakish bug. Hope you catch it before it multiplies.

-John N.

7. Kuni

Kuni New Member

In order to multiply, it would have to leave the tank and turn into a dragonfly ;) Oh, and these guys were part of the inspiration for the "Aliens" movies - they have jaws they can fire forward to grab things. They're really neat, but they can do a number on tiny fish if you let them.

8. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

i suppose you could go fishin for him... that is to say put bloodworms in a clear long neck bottle with a string tied around the neck, then he will have to enter it to eat... once he is there... pull out the bottle :D

aside from that you very well may see a Dragonfly in you house someday soon...

best of luck fishin

P.S. Full grown German Brown Trout would find him pretty quick and munch on him, but there goes your tank...

9. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

how on earth did that show up! D: thats crazy its huge.

10. ShadowMac

probably hatched from eggs that were in a plant stem or hitchhiked on some plants. I eventually took down the tank and found four of them. They are interesting critters. They swim quickly using jet propulsion, and their mouths have pincers that they can launch at prey about the length of their body. I was told they inspired the aliens in the movies "Aliens".

11. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

I found one in my bog wood over a year ago. I almost fell off my chair when I saw something squirming around on the wood it was so freaky! I took it into work (aquatics) and none of them had an idea until I got home and did research. Never seen them in there since! Thank god!

12. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

It can't multiply... it's just a baby...

I wouldn't worry about it TOO much (unless you have some really expensive tiny fish like Galaxy Rasboras or something)... it's not like fish are totally helpless either. And yeah, worse comes to worse, eventually it'll become an adult, and it'll be the end of the story. :)

I don't know, I've had a nymph or two in the tank before, and I never cared that much... it was pretty cool to see the dried/dead shell on the filter inflow pipe, and a shiny red dragonfly stretching its new wings in my living room.

If you read Nature Aquarium World Vol. I, Amano also talks about the first time he had a Dragonfly emerge from the aquarium, and he viewed it in a very positive light-- describing it as a miracle of nature in his living room.

13. ShadowMac

a great way to look at it Steven. I was concerned about him eating my shrimp, I also had a few tetras go missing.

How long did it take for the nymph to reach adulthood? My understanding was that it could take up to a year.

I had considered placing them in another tank, but at the time I didn't have one. If I had kids I would have definitely set something up for them. It would have been a neat experience.