1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Anybody knows what these are?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by MikeHaupt, Mar 26, 2016.

1. MikeHaupt

MikeHaupt New Member

Hey guys,

I saw some of these yellowish-white round spots on my tank and I thought they must be snail eggs or something - so without doing a proper research I pinched them out of the tank two nights ago (about 6).
    Screenshot_2016-03-26-06-31-56.jpg

Yesterday, while doing my water change I saw three of these fellas swimming round the surface. Are they killifish fry? And are the round thing on the tank, eggs?

Screenshot_2016-03-26-06-32-16.jpg

You see, none of my lampeye killi seem to be pregnant. They're as slender as I first bought them only longer. :/

I'm new to having a planted fish tank and so far I've got tremendous response from the ASW mods.

Hope you can help! Thanks!

- Mike

:)

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I'd catch them and place them in a separate holding tank, just for safe measures. But if they are lampeye killi fry, could you make some money selling them??

MikeHaupt likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

If you are keeping Killi fish, my bet is that is what they are. Killifish will lay eggs in moss usually and after a period of time they will hatch. Some killi eggs need to be dried out before hatching. I've found the fry easy to care for and they tend to grow up without much need for intervention or even special food. Feeding micro worms or other fry friendly foods will definitely help with their survival.

Not many fish will lay eggs on the glass. Snails do all the time, but those look like gel sacs with little white spots in them.

MikeHaupt likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

upload_2016-3-27_15-3-19.png

Mike I enlarged as much I could and still visible.

A closer look there is definitely something in the egg looks like a dark U shape.

Keith:cat::cat:

MikeHaupt likes this.
  5. MikeHaupt

MikeHaupt New Member

@lucasgg hey there! I took them out and placed them on a separate 5 gallon tank earlier :) I found another egg thing on the main tank but one of the lampeyes ate it! I thought the other egg was also eaten but I was surprised there was another swimming mostly near the surface.

Hmm, haven't thought of selling them I'd probably rear these fry first and place some on the next tank upgrade :) still so much to learn about maintenance.

6. MikeHaupt

MikeHaupt New Member

Hi @keithgh thanks for taking the time to enlarge it, my mobile's cam isn't that great hehe.

It does certainly look like an egg I also looked at the killi development stage chart online when u mentioned the u-shape. Hoping it's Killi alright and not snails! :)

7. MikeHaupt

MikeHaupt New Member

Hey @ShadowMac I really hope they are not snails! I'm gonna head later to the LFS and look for available fry food. I placed them on a separate 5 gallon tank and seems like they're doing OK.

One of the lampeyes ate the other egg! I think I need to feed them a "pinch" more.

Thanks!!!

8. keithgh

MikeHaupt

I am positive they are not snail eggs.

9. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

@MikeHaupt There is a partcular species of frog that lay infertile eggs to feed their live tadpoles. Could this be the case with your fish? I think so.

10. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Many fish species will very often eat their eggs, it is a common behavior and is simply done because they are delicious and nutritious to the fish.

keithgh likes this.
  11. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

[​IMG] this white spot i believe to be snail egg...i got plenty on my hardscape before...

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

12. keithgh

MikeHaupt

Its been awhile since that posting what ever it was should have hatched or died by now there has not been a reply.