1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Any tips or tricks to feeding German Blue Rams?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by ShadowMac, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I always find it a struggle to make sure my rams are being adequately fed. Despite my efforts some still show signs of not getting the nutrition they need.

I feed a mix of frozen live ( a freshwater variety pack with blood worms, brine shrimp, and some other things), flakes, sinking pellets, and the occasional algae wafer.

To me it seems like they do not each much before becoming disinterested, whereas my school of rasboras and cardinal tetras will probably eat themselves to death if I allowed it.

I feed quite a bit of the live food to ensure they get their share. However it makes a mess and I know it may feed algae and snails a bit. I need more shrimp, but they eat my fire reds so I will have to order some amanos soon.

Is there a good way to provide some food they can pick on at leisure throughout the day without make a big mess? any contraptions or techniques that might make feeding the frozen live less messy and easier for the rams to eat throughout the day?

Any thoughts or ideas are helpful...

I'm actually considering adding a good number of my fire shrimp when I rescape and hope that the population can out produce the rams eating them from time to time...

Thanks! ​

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i feed "Tetra Fresh Delica" for my bolivian Rams and they love it, it doesn t makes the water cloudy :113:. maybe ask google for more information cause it isn t easy for me to explain. :-s

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Last time I feed mine with frozen blood worm, occasionally I give live brine shrimps. I suggest don't put any shrimps inside. I saw mine group attack adult yamato (amanos) without problem

4. ShadowMac

they do go after the fire reds when they find them. the amanos have been fine, but only one of the rams I would consider a good adult size yet.

If no shrimp, what do you suggest as a "cleaning crew"?

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

That the headache part, at that time I put SAE and give away one it grow same size or bigger than the rams.

6. Spmex7

Spmex7 New Member

I feed mine frozen mysis shrimp and they all eat it and have yet to shy away from it even after 2 months

7. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm almost sure the German Blues are of poor genetic stock, I was talking to a researcher at UC Davis today about it. Mostly with livestock in general, the rush to get a highly inbred variety to market is high and the $$$ is great.

After a few years, several independent lines are developed and hobbyist and other breeders trade, this builds genetic strength and much hardier fish/shrimp etc. high grade CRS's use to be this way.

I've kept many of the GBR's, they never lasted long and had issues and died after about 1 year. I've used medications to try and get rid of any unknowns, feed them very well also, other types of Rams do excellent and live long etc.

8. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Mine ate this very well also.

9. ShadowMac

I have begun to learn this lesson with many fish and have started to become more fond of wild type, or even wild caught, fish. I'm am unsure of the environmental impact of wild caught specimens and don't want to support anything harmful to their viability in nature.

Also, the more natural colorations seem to go better with a well planted tank.