1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Any Salties out there? Saltwater Aquascapes

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquascapes' started by John N., Sep 16, 2013.

1. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith,

Alas, that is how I got to where I am now. The parts I haven't put together are the corals. They're multicolored dots.

So I have a choice, neglect everything till I finish or put off the corals till my actual fish tank doesn't need daily care. It's a debate I have over coffee every morning.

Katie

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Katie

Give it a rest if its in a place you can see as you walk pass you "might" see a matching piece.

I used to help a mate sometimes and within minutes I would see a few matching pieces and that would be all, he would add a few more and a week later I might match a few more up.

The longer you look the harder it becomes.

Also see if you can match up any of those loose pieces even 2-3 will slowly get it done.

Keith:):)

3. KatieK

I finally finished that puzzle. It was difficult managing the rest of my life while it was still unfinished. I was picking it up to dust underneath it and it fell to pieces! Hahaha, that was a great pun. No, but really, it's back in the box.

Katie

keithgh likes this.
  4. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

I did find one page about a saltwater aquascaping competition, but for some reason I can't find the results anywhere on the web :C it might be in the magazine.

I'd like to see reefscapes get a category in future planted tank competitions. Then I think it would really start to take off as a formal art form (if I can call it that haha)

5. keithgh

Katie well done but is it in the box in one piece?

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The problem with regular contests is the time frame needed to complete a reef scape. You won't have new entries from people every year. It is such a large investment in time and money to just complete one. I don't know many reefers, but I can imagine upon completing a nice reef scape and getting it to a mature stage the last thing you want to do is break it down, frag out those large beautiful corals and start over.

Aesthetic focus is creeping its way into the reef hobby from what I've read and heard. Regular contests like the IAPLC would be difficult, however.

greenfinger 2 and letsgodisco like this.
  7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All, SW AquaScape :cool:Now that would be nature at its best .Well that's where life started :cool::cool: Three things i would love to keep and look after and learn from. If I had Money would be :rolleyes: Jellyfish, I think they are one of the most underrated Living Organism on the planet And one With a cocktail of the most deadly toxins the box Box Jellyfish Research being done in Australia That could help man kind :rolleyes: Octopus Well you just have love there intelligence And have 8 arms Well we all need an extra one of them now and again :LOL: And ,Seahorses Well Its the male that's looks After The baby ones now you have to admire That :giggle:

8. nick.scott

reefbuilders.com/2009/02/18/coral-magazine-announces-10000-marine-aquascaping-contest/

sorry forgot to post link earlier

9. ShadowMac

10. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Interesting. I would be interested to see the results too.

We'll be starting a specialty forum section for plaudariums and riparians. I'm tinkering with the idea of adding a saltwater section..but I don't know if there are enough saltwater and plant enthusiasts to make it work while (space wise).

John

nick.scott likes this.
  11. ShadowMac

John,

Do you mean folks who keep both? or just one or the other. There are lots of reefers in the states and I think a few planted folks who dabble. George Farmer did one of my favorite saltwater macro algae tanks. Those scapes shared earlier in the thread were great, too. Interestingly the same design concepts apply to planted and saltwater.

12. KatieK

Hey Greenfinger,

Ever seen this site? http://www.jellyfishart.com. They're relatively affordable. I'm not sure how kind (for lack of a better term) it is to the jellyfish.

As for the seahorse, it's my understanding that the London zoo perfected the technique to keep the in a tank. You could go check it out.

I don't have any suggestions for keeping an octopus. That's where my knowledge ends.

Katie

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  13. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Katie, Thank You Nice link:cool: I Would love to keep a Jellyfish or two maybe one day But wife says NO:( Ho well the boss has spoken But i do have rather a lot of stuff all over the house now 4 tanks 9 Wabi-Kusa and other projects on the go:whistle: Grandson has Waters snails, land snails, Bugs Plus some little W-K :LOL: As to Seahorses Will have to go to London zoo And Seaworld First 1 to see the seahorses 2nd to see the Piranha tank So will have to make time Grandson will love it ;) Have seen Octopus in small tanks at LFS But I think that just cruel For a clever animal :( By the way love the way your Aquascape is coming along :cool:

14. KatieK

With that many tanks I can understand why the boos said no. That is a fair few. I only have one going at a time and I still got the big N.O. from my fiancé. There are two types of people in this world, those who enjoy tanks and those who have to tolerate the first group. I would love to visit the London zoo and learn about keeping sea horses. I want to keep them too. If octopi really are as smart as they are on the documentaries, it would be fun to have one to teach it things. But I think I would be in constant fear of it escaping the tank.

Katie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

15. nick.scott

I had heard about some aquarists keeping seahorses, even in nano-reefs. After doing some research though, apparently it's more common than I thought. I have never seen a seahorse outside of the zoo. I imagine they are extremely difficult to care for.

I also knew that you can keep jellyfish. They have to be in specialized tanks. There are freshwater jellyfish too. So a jellyfish aquarium doesn't seem too far out of the question... And they're practically braindead so I don't feel too bad about them being kept in a tank. If I was lavishly rich, I would probably own a jellyfish column.

As for keeping octopus in aquariums, at least hobbyist sized aquariums, is unbelievably cruel (imo). I can't imagine that a LFS kept and sold octopi. They are such smart creatures.

Honestly, I would never condone keeping such exotic creatures, unless you're able to breed them, and keep them contained, healthily and happily. I don't think there SHOULD be a market for these animals. I don't like the idea of businesses coming into their ecosystems and harvesting seahorses and octopi just to sell to aspiring hobbyists. I can only imagine the damage we as humans cause to their homes and their ability to survive.

Sorry, just some thoughts I've been having about fishkeeping. It is somewhat of a cruel hobby, unless your fish have enough room to be happy. I think there was an article on this site actually about the negative effect fishkeeping has on these natural ecosystems.

ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  16. keithgh

17. nick.scott

Ahh!! I saw those at the Dallas aquarium. It took me a second to realize they were actual animals and not seaweed. Nature is amazing. I can't believe they are allowed to be sold commercially like that. I imagine most if not all die shortly after purchase.

18. keithgh

Nick

Apparently they "can" have a life span of up to 5 years and that would be being kept by professional fish keepers Aquariums etc not the average LFS owner/shopper.

There is a lot of very good info on Google if you do a bit of hunting.

19. KatieK

I would imagine the reasoning behind keeping seahorses in a tank is they aren't far removed from fish. They live in the same environment and hobbiest are trying to recreate the ocean, so might as well throw some sea horses in the tank.

I'm not going to lie, if I were into salt water tanks, I would grow sea grass and keep a pair of sea horses. I just don't find salt water tanks enjoyable or coral all that pretty too look at. If I'm just going to try and grow sea grass, I might as well stick to fresh water so I can try to create wider range of aquascapes.

Katie

20. nick.scott

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
    John N. and greenfinger 2 like this.