1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

any apisto people?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Liz_M, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Liz_M

Liz_M New Member

Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting back into Apistogramma. Anyone keeping this genera of fish? If so, what species. And as always- pics!

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I never kept this species of fish. I can't wait to see some pictures. Would they be considered a show fish (meaning not schooling or meant to be feature fish like German Blue Rams)?

-John N.

3. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

I have 3 species of Apistos currently. I'm not breeding them, just have them in 2 of my tanks.

Pics:

Apisto macmasteri male

[​IMG]
    and female
    [​IMG]

Apistogramma trifasciata female
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I only have 2 females of these.....the male died during shipping.

And Apisto. baenschi 'inka' male
    [​IMG]

Excuse the algae :) I need to get some females for him. His tail is really that bright colored (the red/orange ring).

I'm planning on giving some fish away soon and merging a couple of my tanks into a new one.....and I want to have a pair or trio of Apisto. agassizii in there. I love those guys. :) After getting my first group of Apistos, I was hooked! Got the Baenschi from a friend who originally had a pair, but the female jumped out right before he was going to send them to me.

4. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

Those are beauts! I'm considering getting a trio for my 75 gal once the Aquasoil settles down. I can't decide between these
    -agassizii double reds
    -borelli opal
    -Viejita

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful pictures Kristin! Those are definitely show fish. Apistos, any special requirements i.e hard/soft water, pH levels?

Keep the photos coming people! ;)

-John N.

6. feathers

feathers New Member

They are really beautiful, the colour is amazing!

7. stlfishlover

stlfishlover New Member

We have a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. Just the plain ol' kind, although they were sold as "Peruvian Blue" but I think that was just the LFS owner's way of making an extra few bucks, because I've not yet found any info on that specific variation. The male is actually a nice looking fish, his tail is almost a light sky blue. The pair is currently in our 125 gallon with the Discus and Bolivian Rams, all living together very peacefully. They were in their own 20 gallon long but that was the tank I had to tear down. They are super shy in the 125 now, but the male was king of his castle when he had his own tank. I will see if I can get a good picture tomorrow. They spawned quite a few times when they were in the 20g, although the clutch never made it... I had always figured the female ate the eggs but I think now they may not have survived due to the planaria in there.

From what I've read, I think most apistos like soft acidic water, although cacatuoides, due to their popularity in the hobby, have adapted to and spawned in harder water with a higher pH.

8. CSchmidt

CSchmidt New Member

I have had mine for about 2 weeks now. 2M/1F wild Apistogramma macmasteri. They are only 2 years old. The two males have a lot of growing to do in size and color.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are not as impressive as yours KristinM85. KristinM85 what are the water parameters of that tank you have them in such as PH, KH and do you have a RO unit?

Thanks.
    Chris.

9. KristinM85

KristinM85 New Member

All of them are in high light, high tech tanks. One tank has a pH of around 6.2 (aquasoil and co2), KH is around 2 and the other tank has a pH of around 6.6 and a KH of 4 I believe.

I do not have an RO unit. My tap water is medium hardness and around 7.0 pH out of the tap, so its not that bad. CO2 lowers the pH for me....as does the Aquasoil in my 40 breeder.

Once yours grow a bit, they should color up some. My female macmasteri changes from a dull brown to that yellow color you see in my other post. :) I have another male, smaller than the one above and he's not near as colorful.

10. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Beautiful looking fish!!!

11. Liz_M

Liz_M New Member

I'm going to try some difficult species such as A. elizabethae (if I can find some!) which are closer to wild type (or likely are wild caught) and need lower pH.
    I bred opal borellii in 10g using RO/tap mix. feeding the fry wasnt easy, but put some effort in and its not too hard. :)

Apistos are an awesome show-stopper fish, very much like rams or pelvics. I cant wait to get some again!

12. Joe Faria

Joe Faria New Member

Hi mate,
    I would go for viejita, they are stunning little fish, with lot's of caracter...

13. crstn_savu

crstn_savu New Member

Very nice species... I've never seen another species thank A. cacatoides here in Romania :( ... Apisto. baenschi 'inka' is really great

14. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

I want apistos in my tank, but no one replies to my emails to purchase.

15. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

how big does the apisto. baenschi get? what is the smallest apisto?

16. Brilliant

Brilliant New Member

Haha you dont need suggestions if you desire elizabethae! ;)
    Thats next on my list. Now I am keeping A. bitaeniata.