1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

another newbie with questions!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by jimos, Feb 2, 2012.

1. jimos

jimos New Member

Hi all, from the sunny depths of the English Midlands.

Im looking at creating an aquascape tank, hopefully by the end of the year.
    Ive had tropical fish before years ago but not for a while and my parents keep a huge coral tank that my daughter loves but only recently after seeing aquascaped tanks have i been able to persuade the wife to go for it.

So ive done research, seen tanks i like, found out what setups people have used and am now more baffled than ever. Therefore i join this group to hopefully learn and find out whats required without making too many mistakes along the way

cheers!

2. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Hi Jimos!

I've been trying aquascaping for years, and I still feel pretty baffled at times. Just yesterday I almost killed all of my fish by putting way too much CO2 into the tank at once.

Good luck to you. Let us know what type of equipment and what size tank you're going to get. Post pictures when you can!

3. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

What size of tank do you have?

4. jimos

jimos New Member

The choice of tank i have is limited to 1, the Fluval Edge, please dont ask why not others! weve been over it alot but it does have to do with the mrs having to like the aesthetic quality of the tank itself...

Now, I love those tanks in all the competitions which look hyper realistic and immense. However i cant see that possible in a 23L tank and tbh its beyond me, but i want to do the best i can in a tiny space.

So I was thinking simple but effective i want that natural feel to the planted environment nothing crazy. But is it possible in a low tech tank? and so i looked at a few tanks, even fluvals and it is possible woohoo! right lets start looking seriously.

So:
    23L
    For light, the tank can have 1.8W(x2) LED bulbs - from what i read i thought this fine. possibly maybe

C02 requirements have me a bit stumped. i dont want to try direct injection as its too daunting atm, so with a small tank i was thinking liquid carbon but didnt know if it would be needed. From what i read it can really help.
    I do like Hemianthus callitrichoides but was told its c02 heavy but wondered if liquid carbon would give it what it needs.

or ild be looking at low c02 plants such as:
    -java fern
    -anubias
    any other recomendations?

Basically that's where i stand, confused looking at plants, figuring stuff out before i jump in.

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

the liquid carbon would not be enough to grow the HC, nor will you have enough light.

check out these scapes: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aspiring-aquascapers/6073-fluval-edge-shop-displays.html

those might be something you could do. especially the scape on the right with all anubias.

You can do a planted tank in an edge, but it takes some careful planning and correct plant choices. because it is small I would pick small leafed anubias species like anubias nana petite, anubias nana, and some smaller Cryptocoryne species like C. lucens and especially C. parva. You may even be able to grow some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (micro sword)

I think dosing the liquid carbon regardless is a good idea.

6. jimos

jimos New Member

thanks shadowmac thats some perfect advise i was hoping for when asking. Feel more confident on the direction to take already cheers :)

I did see that thread before and it was one of the ones that inspired me, as it shows a simple layout can still be stunning.

Thanks for the sugestions, good to know smaller anubias exist, and the c.parva which i hadnt heard of so thats cool. Now i know whats possible and what may with the micro grass ill have to see to getting a tank soon!

im guessing ferts cant hurt either? Just thinking on what i do in the garden!

7. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

hey me alse a newbie from india...could any body please tell me weather using an waterfall filter (in my case which is the rs-2000) will nullify the effect of the co2 supplied???

8. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

If your filter is the type I'm thinking of, then no it won't affect your CO2 levels. Just make sure that you keep the water level of your tank high enough so that it's just below the bottom of the part of the filter that's inside the tank. You can even make it a little higher than that if you'd like. The idea is that you don't want water to be splashing into the aquarium from the filter. Instead you want it to be flowing into the aquarium from the filter.

9. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

thanks a lot brother...but coincidentally i did jus that :)

10. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

i have an anubias barteri which has atleast 50 root strings attatched to it..can i just cut a single root and place it elsewhere???will it grow?

11. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

No. There are four main parts to the anubias plant, and to most plants with a rhizome.

1) Roots
    2) Rhizome
    3) Stem
    4) Leaves

Cutting off a root or two won't hurt the plant per say, but there's not really any reason to do it that I'm aware of.

If you want to turn one plant into two (which is called "propagation"), then you need to cut the rhizome, not the root. Here's a picture to help you understand this:

[​IMG]
    (Also attached)

The bottom part of the plant has hairy looking strands that are pointing down. Those are the roots.

If you follow the roots up, they connect to a horizontal structure that runs the length of the plant, from left to right. That's the rhizome.

Shooting up and away from the rhizome are stems, and then of course the leaves are at the tip of the stems.

I'm not an expert at propagating anubias, but I have done it a number of times. I've probably only purchased two or three anubias nana plants in my life, and yet I have probably a dozen now - all from propagation. Remember though that anubias is a very slow growing plant, so you won't go from having one plant to four plants in a month... more like four or six months.

I will only propagate an anubias if the rhizome has many leaves, and if I can cut the rhizome in half in such a way that there are still at least two or three leaves on each half of the rhizome. Make a clean cut - use a good pair of scissors. Once you've done that, tie each half down to either rock or driftwood as you normally would for anubias. Try to keep the plant in the shade as much as possible, or you may end up with a lot of algae covering the leaves. Also, always make sure to keep the rhizome in the water column -- in other words, don't bury the rhizome! It needs access to the flowing water around it.

Every couple of weeks I take my anubias out of the tank (which is easy to do, I just pull out the driftwood that they are attached to), hold them under warm running water at the sink, and use my fingers to gently scrub the leaves clean. They usually have a build up of some type of slime/algae on them, and a simple rinse gets them looking as good as new. Also during this time I'll grab that good pair of scissors and cut off any leaves that don't look too good. Doing this will encourage new leaves to grow. If you do this, make sure you cut the leaves off by cutting off the stem they are attached to. Don't leave a long empty stem sicking off the rhizome - trim the stem off right at the base where it attaches to the rhizome.

As far as I know, these techniques work for all rhizome plants, including Java Fern. If you have any other questions, let us know!

Attached Files:

12. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

brother u d man :)

13. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

thanks a tonnee!!!!

14. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

my tank was goin well until the very persisting problem of algae knocked at my door...the major problem beeing all the leaves have now got some kind of greeny tentacles coming up from every every leaf!! the dimensions of my tank are 75*45*45 cm,with two pil lights of 36 watts(10 hrs a day) and the co2 is provided via a diffuser for about 5 hours daily.i would also supply Do!aqua's be green once in two days (about 10 ml).

this schedule has caused algae i am currently using ocean free algae remover but the effect is not that right yet.and the algae eaters aree not helping.

also one of my amazon guppies have started breeding and there are like too many lil fishes everywhere.!!1
    could anybody tell me what am i doing wrong?

15. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Wow, you're going through a lot here! After reading everything, I have a few questions/comments:

1. Why are you only running your CO2 for 5 hours a day? Ideally, your CO2 should be turning on an hour before your lights turn on, and the CO2 should be turning off an hour before your lights go off. Five hours probably isn't enough, and that right there could be the cause of your algae problems.

2. I'm not sure what the Do!Aqua Be Green product is. Is that a fertilizer? If so, does it provide micro or macro nutrients? Or both? Your plants need both. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, now would be a good time to start learning more about fertilizers.

3. I'd stop using the algae remover. I've heard that most algae removers work by lowering the phosphates and nitrates (which your plants need). They can also work by lowering your pH, but if you provide enough CO2 then the CO2 will lower the pH for you. Ironically, this product could be making your algae problems worse. By cutting off important things that your plants need, you're creating an imbalance of the things that plants need for growth. And this imbalance (of CO2, light, nutrients, etc) is what causes algae problems.

4. Regarding the guppies, I hate to be hard on you, but you should've known this before putting the guppies into your tank. You must do your research before you go out and buy fish for your tank. Fortunately, if you don't want the fish you might be able to return the babies (once they reach a larger size) to your LFS. Or, you could buy a couple of fish that would eat the babies. Next time though, if you don't want baby fish in your tank, research fish that won't breed ahead of time.

Write back and keep us updated.

Thanks for posting!
    -Brian

16. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

I completely agree with Brian, algae removers end up turning the water nutrient chemistry upside down!! please follow the schedule as Brian indicated and follow the EI method of fert dosing coupled with regular water changes for atleast 10 days this should give you a bit of breather from the boom.

Cheers!

17. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

Ooook dint know I was in such a mess :( n trust me when I say it I don't have a lot of friendly people in my country.this schedule was prescribed from my aquascaper guide.thanks a lot for the info il do as advised and get back to u.

And about the fertilizer it says it provides potassium trace elements .

18. abhradip1986

so ideally it should come under macro nutrient category. I would suggest you should provide micro nutrients to the tank as well as a part of the EI. Following link is that of a store in Hyderabad, India which sells products online try this product out it's cheap and has done wonders for me upto now:

Aquarium - Plant Health

Plus since you mentioned about algae issue, I would recommend that you reduce the photo period a bit and if possible cover the tank with black cloth for 48 hours to check the boom. It seems that the additional nutrient in the water and slower plant growth is promoting the boom. Use the following regime: Macro on mon, wed an' fri. Micro on tue,thurs an' sat. 50% water change on sunday to restart the dosing cycle. As usual pos your updates.

19. lampard2357

lampard2357 New Member

Hey guys thanks for your support...things seem to be getting under control now...I would like to know what would be the ideal lighting tubes for a 75*45*30cm tank ????

20. abhradip1986

completely depends on what plants are in the tank, please post the plant list perhaps people can provide a vivid opinion based on that.