1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Another dumb but necessary question. :)

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by lucasgg, Oct 6, 2015.

1. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Alrighy. For those who don't know, I live in Central US, or Nebraska. The only nice stones that I have access to are limestone. One LFS has stones, but they are mostly blocky. (who can use a blocky rock)?
    So, is it even worth it trying to use limestone for a hardscaping material, or should I just break down and buy more neutral rocks?

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lucas

This might sound strange there are several large Aquarium Forums in the USA have a look there you might get a few stones being sold privately or told where you can what you are looking for.

Also see if there is an aquarium club in your area.

Try a garden/landscape supplier.

Keith:):)

3. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

Yes, go to a landscaping supply yard. They should have a variety of hardscape materials very inexpensively.

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

Its the same every where I have seen the same stones in a LFS only a few minutes walk away from a garden supplier that had a massive mark up 500% in many cases.

5. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

There are no dumb questions.. :) Only stupid answers. ;).

Just test the stones before you do anything definitive with them. Limestone is calcite in general (the softer) limestone releases calcium to the water. But there are kinds of calcite (limestone) which don't or do it far less than other kinds of limestone. example i live in europe, near the Belgium Ardennes (mountains) these stones are calcite as well and so a kind of hard limestone. But these stones are so hard they nearly do not affect the water quality, it wil just take to long. Before the stone has done that the water is already changed 10 x over.

So just dont always be fooled by the term limestone only. Test it and you might find stones around your place which can be used. :)

A good way of testing is using acid like vinigar. If you put vinigar on the stone and it starts fizzing, no good..

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. keithgh

Marcel & Lucas

The vinegar testing method is very old method and its safe and simple to use plus its a cheap method that works every time.

A few drops with an eye dropper also works.

A good landscape garden supplier should be able to tell you what the rocks are and where they come from.