1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Angelfish Issues

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Raslad, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Raslad

Raslad New Member

I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem. My Angels are suffering from something I thought to be a fungal or bacterial problem. They are huddled together at the top of the tank, tipped nose-up, and seem listless. They are also covered with a whitish film which will flake off and float around the tank, and aren't eating a lot. I treated the recommended dosage for quick cure to get rid of it and after three days my black angel looks better but my other 2 are starting to get it too. Would the medicine have kept my other fish from getting sick?

I also read on the internet about a Angel "Plague" which describes the same symptoms? Plus it only seems to be affecting the Angelfish so far. Anyone had any experience with this?

[​IMG]

2. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Raslad,

Looks like slime disease, velvet usually is more spotty and ich doesn't look slimy.

Effective treatment of this is usually to have a hospital tank to remove them to. It's very treatable if caught early. I have had some success with just salt at 1-2ppt[part per thousand]. 200g liters[7oz] per 100[26US Gallons].

There are over the counter medications[eg: formalin based, flubenol, trichlorfon based, potassium permanganate[all for use only in bare tank], that may work faster but they are also more toxic than necessary so you may need to balance up the risk[use gloves!].

For in tank medicating-1ppt salt is quite safe for most plants-even moss.[I've not tested for all types-but in general do take care for Cryptocoryne as they are sensitive to changes in water chemistry] HTH.