1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Angelfish Care

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Zaky9, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Zaky9

Zaky9 New Member

This past Saturday i bought three angelfish from petco:
    [​IMG]
    need some tips to care for them, as this is the first time i've had them. they're about 1.5 inches long and in a 29gallon/110 liter tank. What is a good food for them? i have Wardley shrimp pellets, but they don't seem to like them too much. I have frozen bloodworms in the freezer for my 55 gallon community tank, should i give the angelfish some too? Also, how big do they normally get. Some sites say 10 inches, some say 3 inches , some say 6 inches :confused:
    thanx in advance!

2. flake

flake New Member

flake food is fine for angels. a treat of brine shrimp is also good now and then. most commercially prepared foods are fine.

angels can get quite large, but in my experience, tend to be reduced in size if the tank is smaller.

Before your next purchase, I would suggest doing some research on the fish. It could save you future heartache and wasted money. Angels are not compatible with some fish so do some homework before you add more fish. eg guppies are a no go with angels

3. Mildly Rabid

Mildly Rabid New Member

How big is your tank? Standard angels get to be pretty big - 6 inches tall or bigger if they are wild-caught . To visualize this easily (assuming you have average-sized hands), make a fist and then extend your pinky and thumb far apart from each other. This is the adult size of your fish, more or less. Your fist is the body, and the fingers are the fins. Veiltail angelfish have smaller bodies, but longer fins, so that they are the same height. I'm almost entirely sure that your angelfish are standard, and will grow only six inches tall, because they are not wild-caught. To calculate how much room you have in your tank for angels, treat each angel like 6 small fish. Yes, they may look out of place at first, but given room to grow their colors and fins become quite impressive.

I use warley shrimp pellets for my bottom-feeders. Angelfish don't eat them because they are top-feeders. If your angelfish is listless, it is probably weak or stressed. I’ve had 4 angels from petco and they all died (it was a bad shipment; disease). Remember that if they die, you can take the corpses in along with a separate water sample and petco will refund your money.

4. Richard

Richard New Member

I bought two angel fish about 18 months ago. They have grown from just over an inch to over 6-8 inches depending on direction of measurement. This growth happened in a small tank (about 60 litres). I was feeding them mostly flake food before I placed them in a bigger tank. Bloodworm are good for them. I also occasionally feed them a very small amount of oven roast chicked - I don't know if this was bad for them but they have always appeared bright, healthy and happy. I susoect they benefit from the protein whilst they are growing rapidly.

Several strains of angel fish exist. Wild strains grow the largest. It can be difficult to know if you have a wild strain as some of the captives show identical patterns (The wild strains have silver/black stripes. I think yours appear to be a captive type so it is difficult to guess how big they will get).

Angel fish are not destructive fish and will not damage any aquascaping. They are ambush hunters that naturally live in densely planted water. When they get bigger they will almost certainly hunt any shrimp you keep for algae control. Small fish are also easy prey. My local aquarist suggested that feeding them meat will likely make them more agressive.

Provided you have enough space in your tank, these will grow to be stunning fish. Mine always attract the admiration of guests.

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Everything else in your post was spot on, however they actually come from areas with no vegetative growth to speak of but lots of tangled wood, most aren't really found in the clear waters we associate other tetras with.

nick.scott likes this.
  6. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Ditto, they are flat for a reason, lots of debris, wood branches and very murky water. :)

Great fish, I once had a 12 angel shoal on a 200l tank, loved them.

7. Richard

Richard New Member

I recently took all my wood out of my tank as it can cause a "false" pH reading. Should I return this wood?

8. Garuf

Why are you concerned over the PH? Are you running a probe set up on your co2?

9. Richard

Richard New Member

Yes. I live in an extremely hard water area. I was told that in hard water the CO2 concentration that results in toxicity is much lower. I decided to use a pH probe so that I could be confident that I was not approaching toxicity. After experimenting I've found that (*in my tank*) only a small amount of surface agitation seems to be needed to prevent CO2 levels creeping too high, and I can now make do without the probe if I needed.

10. Garuf

Who ever told you that sold you some proper snake oil. A probe will not make your life easier in anyway at all, it'll make it harder infact probes are so prone to giving incorrect results because of acids in the water, variations in hardness because of ferts and so on that they simply can not be trusted. Use a drop checker and a timer, this is now the industry standard so to speak, science and hobbyists alike have proved ph probes to be useless for our purposes.

A much better plan is to have good surface agitation and inject more co2, to counter it, this means gaseous exchange will be faster and you're less likely to run into issues.

Where in the UK are you? I had liquid rock when I was in Stoke, out the tap at a ph over 9 and I could grow anything, hard water isn't as big an issue as people who want to sell you stuff would have you believe.

11. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I live in London, and the water is really bad, really really hard. I dose CO2, and I use the fish as reference, with a needle valve it is easy to increase the bubbles.

Sometimes the easier way is the best way. Slowly increase CO2, look at the fish, and find out what works out for your tank. It will take time, there are no shortcuts on this, sorry to say.

12. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I have been thinking about getting some angels for my 150 gallon but dont know too much about them. I currently have 8 discus that are between 5 and 8 inches and a couple schools of tetras. will they live pretty well with discus? By that i mean same water parameters.

13. Garuf

In the wild they live together and have been sucessfull in very big tanks 300g plus but it's generally fround upon, it's a case of one or the other, the angels tend to over shadow the discus and you get "blacking out" and under feeding the discus too.

14. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I believe they need Black worms

15. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

pH meters and probes appear to be rather fickle devices.. Here's an article on the effective use and care of pH meters and probes, from the Barr Report: pH meters and probes

I hope this assists you, Zaky9.

16. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

Haha, this thread is very old... I love angelfish though, they are extremely elegant (looking, apparently they can be quite mean). It's a shame that there isn't a species of angelfish that stay small :C oh well

One of my favorite scapes features gold viel angelfish. "the grand forest" by hamsa. (look at all those anubias!!)
    [​IMG]

Here's "amber river" by Konstandaras Panagiotis, it's a good representation of what their natural habitat looks like.
    [​IMG]

there's actually a lot of really nice angelfish biotopes on youtube! here are some links: , ,

greenfinger 2 likes this.