1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

amano shrimp vs white pearl dwarf shrimps

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Jurijs mit JS, Jul 14, 2008.

?

dwarf shrimps vs amano shrimps

1. amanos are best, no other choice

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. dwarf shrimps are as good as amano shrimps

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. amanos are better, but dwarf shrims are an alternative

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. great idea - a growing population of dwarf shrimps

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

hey guys,
    i´m considering to to use white pearl dwarf shrims instead of amano shrimps.
    the point is - dwarf shrimps can increase themselves and it is cute to see baby shrimps in a tank. so i can save money buying a smaller population of those shrimps and get some cute baby shrimps in my tank.

the point i want to use them, is to keep my tank clear of algae

the question is now: do they do this job as well as amano shrimps or nearly as good ?

White Pearl Zwerggarnele (Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. white)

2. trenac

trenac New Member

All species of algae eating shrimp do a decent job at eating algae. I personally prefer Amano shrimp, because I find them to be a very hardy shrimp & live longer than the dwarf shrimp. Plus I like the larger size, which is a bonus when keeping fish also.

3. akmal

akmal New Member

amanos are hardy and pretty aggressive algae eaters. grows quite large, so thats a plus keeping them with fish. breeding-wise very hard but not entirely impossible.

on the other hand, dwarf shrimps stays small, relatively easy to breed and with a small army, does a good job clearing up algae. the only downside is due to its small size, most fish will likely see them as food. you might need a shrimp tank to breed them.

personally, i keep RCS in their own tank for breeding purposes..

4. Jurijs mit JS

you mean if keap them together with a swarm of neons, the neons will eat most of the baby shrimps? dont think that neons would eat allready grown up dwarf shrimps, they are still small but not as small that neons could eat them? hmm

5. trenac

trenac New Member

It's a possibility that some of the babies will get eaten by the Neons. As long as your tank has hiding places such as plenty of plants, driftwood, rocks etc, then there will be some survivers.

6. Jurijs mit JS

this is the way i think :)>-

those white peral dwarf shrims can get up to 40 babys every month and if the condissiions would too good i would soon have a soup of shrimps in my tank.
    i want their ammount to increase slowly - otherway i can sale those are too much on lokal pet shops :money:

7. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I like to use Amanos for algae eating purposes. They live a long time and do a great job on managing algae.

If you want to have a shrimp that is self-breeding, then I think you'll be fine using Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. "white pearl" aka "snowball". Their white coloration looks great with the plants. I used to breed/keep this shrimp. Very hardy, and easy shrimp to keep. Provided enough plant cover from hungry fish, you'll have an army of shrimp in no time.

-John N.

8. akmal

akmal New Member

from my observation, it varies case by case..some hobbyist have their shrimps eaten by neons/other fish and some have been successful to the point that the shrimps overcrowd their tank..

in other cases with shrimp and fish sharing a tank, the shrimps doesn't even breed because of the stress caused by their fishy tankmates..

like trenac said, as long as there is some hiding place for the shrimps, there will be some survivors..breeding is still a 50-50 chance IMHO.

Give it a try and see what works for you...

9. Jurijs mit JS

ok, i will try and report if it was succesfull ;)

10. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

I keep both. two Amano's per 100 liter and cherry shrimps breed and multiply accordingly but are kept in check by the tetras or other fish so that their numbers do not explode.

RCS do breed rapidly and if you're careful with the fish choice/numbers, you'll get a balanced number of new shrimps and it's great without spending another cent on red cherry shrimps. The bad thing is their babies tend to get sucked into the canister filter.
    Washing the filter is also a rescue mission!:-p

11. will325i

will325i New Member

I have cherry and Amano shrimps in my 40 gal densely planted tank along with guppies and a SAE. Pregnancy rate for cherry shrimp is lower in this tank filled with predators than my shrimp only tank. However, my cherry population is still exploding.

Amano shrimps are better than cherrys at initial algae cleansing and far fewer are needed. They also hold their grounds better and not be intimidated by other fish.
    Not so for cherry. It's nerve wrecking watching cherry shrimps dodging and jerking backwards from guppies and SAE.

Will

12. Jurijs mit JS

all shrimps are gone, thanks to discus and altums :(

13. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

not surprise, I do not think shrimps go well with Cichlids.

14. Jurijs mit JS

Well, finally I have to admit that Amano shrimps survived, they died because of the age.
    But my next scape will be with small fish only^^

15. skaner

skaner New Member

c. multidentata are aggressive. they do not share with food. they simply grab and take away whole pellet or tablet or whatever you feed them with. that is what i dont like about them. but imho they are better algae eaters

16. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I use a mix, amano shrimps (5 on a 120L tank) and cherries (20 plus on a 120L tank).

The amano are lovely to watch and they do good work of the algae.

As I only have cory's, cardinals and ember tetras there are no predators to eat them.