1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Amano Deaths :(

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Lafataa, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

Well I just got a better diffuser (GLA atomizer) which blows around the tank without any bubbles. The bubble count was high because it was not getting diffused enough now it's at about... 1-1.5. CO2 is stable at 30ppm (GLA drop checker).

I'm trying to get in touch with the water treatment plant in my town to figure out the GH of my tap water. I found two shrimp molts in my tank this morning but no bodies which is a good sign.

PH is 7. I have a feeling that if the water is soft then the calcium is the culprit.

Sponsored link:

2. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I just don't get it! First off, I couldn't get through to the water treatment people and secondly another guy died today...

Water reads:
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrites:0ppm
    Nitrates:5ppm
    PH:6.5

I saw one Amano eating on the the molted shells. Does this hint at a lack of calcium?

Also, do Planaria pose any danger to the shrimp? I saw my Dwarf Gourami eating one of the little worms today.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have heard of shrimp eating the moltings commonly since they contain nutritional minerals, however I don't often see it in my shrimp tank. It could indicate a mineral problem...

The planaria issue is contested. Many invert specific sites claim that they are dangerous, however I have heard accounts of people breeding shrimp in takes with planaria and hydra. If you have lots of those that could be an indication of water quality as they are living off of organic debris such as left over uneaten food.

IME, shrimp require clean clear water. A lower TDS is beneficial. Nitrates are not an issue, copper from fertilizers like CSM+B is not detrimental. Ammonia, nitrites, DOC's, and copper from medications can all be harmful.

Sometimes with shrimp the occasional death happens. I usually lose a few amanos when adding new ones to a tank.

The planaria could be indicating you have a water quality issue. The association of hydra and planaria with shrimp deaths probably led to the conclusion that those organisms were causing it. However, people smarter than I and with more experience point to the water quality issue when you see those critters. I have seen hydra in my tanks, never planaria.

4. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

you can try out some calcium food for shrimp... a kind of pouder and look if it helps.

5. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I think what I will do is tomorrow call and bother those people about finding the exact softness of my water. I will grab some Calcium for them (I don't think too much will hurt them) and stop with the algae wafers (75% of the Planaria are in the area where I drop the wafers. I vac them up after a few hours but they make such a mess! Now that I think about it, the Amanos have some hair algae to take care of and the Otos are busy with the brown algae in my tank.

I dosed .5g of Fenbendazole today and I will do it again Wed and Fri and see how that goes. I may do it again in 2 weeks as well.

Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

they cant tell you the exact condition of your tank water, they can just tell you the conditions of your tapwater. (google allmost know it too ;), search for city and tapwater conditions). cause you are adding co2 your water becomes softer.