1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Am I lacking a fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by spartan.b42, Jun 9, 2017.

1. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

As i said before, yes plants do take up nutrients from both leafs and roots. But certain plants from my experience dont get optimal growth without root tabs especially my big plants.
    For example i have a high tech tank with Co2 injection i dose EI regularly. My Aponageton Crispus which is a very large plant does not grow to its fullest potential without its root tabs, Will it grow without root tabs? "im sure it would" but would it flourish? i think not.
    For slow growing plants like crypts im sure you can get away with just EI. I think you just had a bad experience with the diy osmocote.
    I think you should try using root tabs on one side of tank and not on the other and update us on which side you believe looks healthier.
    But if you do, please use the commercial tabs meant for aquarium plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

By the way anyone that uses the Seachem line of root tabs like I did for years. You should check out the API root tabs.
    I was surprised,...after doing some research and looking at the labels. The API route tabs have a larger nutrient percentage then the Seachem Tabs. Only downside is that they only last about a month.
    But man its like night and day as far as lush growth.

keithgh likes this.
  3. spartan.b42

spartan.b42 New Member

Sorry I've been MIA, I appreciate everyone input but have been busy. I would like to add that I have concluded it must have been new leaves dying off. As for the Osmocote Root Tabs what's been done can not be undone. As soon as some time passes they will be replaced with correct root tabs. My wisteria and other plants seem to have really taken off the wisteria is currently creeping across my tank! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Spartan & hektec

I don't it would hurt the plants at all if you started the fert tabs as soon as you can in other words now.

hektec I used the fert tabs on my Crypts I never had the slow grow concerns. Slow growing plants are more likely to have an algae concern.

hektec do you have any photos please. Your posts have be very useful than you.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

[​IMG]

(above is the API)

[​IMG]

(above is the Seachem)

******one thing i did notice is the seachem seems to have more trace elements)

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Hektec

You would have to test both products under controlled conditions to see which suits your tank best.
    Over all it looks like it comes down to a personal choice and what suits your tank the best.

hektek.hn likes this.
  7. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

yes, you are correct, as said before it seems the API is heavier on the macros and Seachem is heavier on the micros. Definitely personal choice, just thought i put it out there now that we're talking about root tabs

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

hektec

If I still had my planted tank going I would divide it into three sections one with the Seachem and another with the API and the third with the heaviest root feeders I would use both.
    Over the years I used the Under Gravel Filters UGF with great success. When using the fert tabs it moved the water through the substrate and continually passed the plant root system, this possibly helped to keep the rooting plants healthy.

I know there are disbelievers in Fert Tabs and the UGF systems but it comes down to personal choice and what works best for you and your pocket.

9. spartan.b42

spartan.b42 New Member

Wouldn't that cause an overload in nutrients I already put the Osmocote tabs in? I would hate to invite algae.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

Spartan

I used the Seachem Liquid ferts every day as well and no algae and, the Fert tabs every three months.

You could start by cutting the tabs into quarters first and slowly build up to the full tab.
    If possible you could deep vac where you placed those capsules. I preferred to do two 35% water changes a week this was a great help to my plants.

You are creating a healthier and better growth in the substrate.