1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

All my shrimp are dying

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by bowman, May 30, 2012.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Well, water has to be safe for larger animals before it can be in the system at all but it's inverts that are ultimately most sensitive since they're often the type of creature the water boards are after killing, it's a sad case indeed and one many have suffered at some point. Ro is one answer, HMA another but it's extra expenditure I don't know what a complaint to the waterboard would do but I know I used to get notifications after I complained to mine when it wiped out my tank.

Sponsored link:

2. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

That is a nightmare scenario. Knowing your local water company, there is no way I wouldn't sport for an RO unit if I were you. They are so simply to use, and not even particularly expensive these days if you look around a little. You can get a stellar 5 stage RO/DI water unit for about $110 U.S. shipped. Then you never have to worry about what nasties may be in your water. Further, you won't even have to treat with Prime.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Craziness! and a bit scary considering people were consuming that water...

The biggest challenge I've found in using RO is storing it and prepping it for tank use. It sucked being back to lugging buckets of water. Pumps in large containers etc. can remedy that. I plan to put in an RO system once I have a home and a good place to store a large amount of water. The saltwater folks have storing RO water down to an exact science.

4. bowman

bowman New Member

thanks everyone! Ill have to look into that for sure. I just got done sucking out the rest of the dead (wow freaky statement). Did my water change and crossing my fingers. Overall final body count at 150+. I have maybe 20 left and some look preggers. All I can do now is wait

5. christina22

christina22 New Member

This is excellent advice. I thought my shrimp died and sure enough it had just shed its skin. The whole skin is shred - even the whisker tentacles. The big hint is that there is very little pink (little reddish on the ends) and no eyeballs.

keithgh likes this.
  6. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Shrimp will normally moult after every water change in my experience. That is if you are doing periodic ones such as weekly, bi weekly etc. I doubt that they will moult every day if you water change every day though.

keithgh likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi My Amanos shrimp Seem to moult about once a month. Seems to be just after they all come out and swim around the tank like mad ???
    I do a 30% water change every week ?? This is in my larger tank but the same thing happens in my cube too.

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I will be perfectly honest I have no idea with my shrimp as I never saw any old moultings, that could be possible because of my heavily planted tank, plus until reticently I always had bottom cleaners.

Keith:):)

9. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Helpfull information, hope they are ok by now.

10. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

A massive die out of shrimp in a short periode of time is almost al times a indication of poissoning.. :( Something shrimps are ver sensitive to. Ande once they are poissoned there is little to no change of recovery..

I had some shrimp issues lately as well... I found out by now what the cause was.. I used to feed my fish for the most part with a variaty of frozen food insect larvaea, worms etc. What i didnt expect to happen so soon was within 3 months a masive planaria poppulation came with it. The planaria eggs seem to be inclosed in the frozen food.

I asked a shrimp breeder for the best remedy, i was advised to use NoPlanaria as an absolutely safe product for shrimps and fish and deadly to planaria.

So i gave it a go.. :) :(

Indeed it works as discribed within a few days to a week no more planaria to be found all dead. Also some snail spec. will finaly die of it too, shrimps and fish are not affected.

But now comes the tricky part in the aftermath, since these wurms all live in the soil for the most part of their live you'll never know how much you have. Actualy it could be if you see 20 that in reality you probably have a huge population hiding in the soil. And since all these wurms dying means a major fall out of the treatment in a huge bioload in the soil with organic waist, all dead planarias start to rot. The nitrite values in the soil can explode to a poissones level for shrimps.

Since shrimps mainly are bottom dwellers they are most part of the day in close contact to the soil.. Even if you do multiple water changes after the treatment it doesn't clean the soil enough. The soil slowly leaches a high amount of nitrites and maybe amonias into the lower part of the waterlevel and delutes slowly while it rises and mixes withthe water colum. So even measuring for nitrite and amonia didn't show problematic values because of the frequent water changes. But still i had shrimp clearly dying whit an indication of poissoning and dying a horrific death, i had 16 shrimps dying in 14 days time. Nitrite poissoning seems to distroy a chrimps oxygene supply, only very little amounts already affect them while fish are still ok with it and show no signs of trouble at all..

Luckely i didn't have a huge snail poppulation, because here comes the second downside of the ordeal. Since the chances are your snails wont survive this treatment as well. I didn't see them dying straight away. the go lethargic for weeks and die very slowly over a longer periode of time. So if you also have a uge snail poppulation you might encounter a second cycle of bioload explossion after they all died as well a few weeks later on.

what have i learned from this ordeal?
    If you dont want planaria don't feed (much) frozen foods.
    Do you feed frozen food, you will most likely have them, learn to live with it and catch them conventionaly to keep in check.
    If you still do and want to treat, do it on time, dont waight for a poppulation to explode.
    Treat in regular intervals already before seeing one, seeing one means you have many more and maybe already to much to treat safely.
    Take your snail population in consideration, do a test first to find out if it is safe to use with your kind of snail.
    In this case if the product doesn't kill your shrimps, the fall out will. (n)(y)
    Shrimps are highly sensitives to changes in water values even more sensitive then our drop tests can show.

Here is a very good extensive website about shrimps and their issues.. Its in german so you might need a translation.

http://www.crustakrankheiten.de/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    John N. likes this.
  11. keithgh

Marcel

Sorry to tell you that is a very old post.

12. MarcelM

Keith i know :) and still i found it and did read it.. I guess others might as well and can use the information. Ive could started a new thread but imho its better to consentrate more information at the same place then scatter it around in several topics, so i addeed it to this one with already the appropriate tittle.. :)

keithgh and John N. like this.
  13. keithgh

Marcel

If you went through all the old threads you would find plenty of very good information hidden away.

MarcelM likes this.
  14. MarcelM

Indeed Keith, if you're willing to dig there's is a welth of information to find. Actualy i believe there isn't a question to think of which isn't yet asked before.. :) The hard part of the job is often finding it.. :whistle:

15. keithgh

In another Forum where I was the Advisor I spent 100s of hrs researching and collecting bits and pieces of information I tried looking for some of it years ago and I just gave up.