1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

All my shrimp are dying

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by bowman, May 30, 2012.

1. bowman

bowman New Member

im in a panic. Yesterday I got home from work and about 100 were dead and more dying. Today whats left is not doing well either. I do not run co2, use ferts. I did a water change as I have done every week since I set this tank up 6 months ago. No new fish, no new plants, no new stones NOTHING. I treat my water with prime as I always have. No hands in tank etc. My ammonia levels are great, nits kh, ph all where they have been since ive started and the shrimp have been in for over 4 months. My tank temp 77-78. I did 5% water change yesterday because i had to remove all the dead ones. WTH do i do?

Sponsored link:

2. bowman

bowman New Member

I should say I do not use ferts. Have a copper test kit and alls good there too. SOBB!
    They look like the shells are pulling away from the bodies. God im devastated. Looks like im going to lose them all

3. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

is the substrate older than 6 months? at times aerobic points accumulate in the tank which when moved by chance releases toxins contaminating the tank! one more thing can you have a look if by any chance there is a hydra attack in the tank..it's quite notorious an' is renowned for killing shrimps third thing that I can think of is - some foreign body or chemical ie, did you use deodorant/mosquito spray's in the same room where the tank is kept? if yes, then this can be an issue as filter's that we use in a way pulls air to continue it's siphon action any addition can instantly kill them

4. bowman

bowman New Member

substrate is 6 months. hydra? Is that threads from plants? Sorry i dunno

5. bowman

bowman New Member

no sprays or anything near tank. googled hydra and no, nothing.
    I dont want to do another water change and chance more stress. I dont think any shrimp r going to make it

6. abhradip1986

Hydra is a very small animal which is like a near relative to jelly fish, they have small tentacles via which they catch their prey. you can find them stuck to the DW or the glass near filter inlet. Now I would recommend a 60% WC immideatly and try to balance the parameters. another possibility is that there might be a chlorine/chloromine spike from your water supply that could have triggered this. Use some anti-chlorine after WC asap!

7. bowman

bowman New Member

ok ty, will try. Think this ok since i did a 50% three days ago and 5-10% yesterday?

8. bowman

bowman New Member

my fish, snails, corys ottos are all fine and happy as pie. I dont get it

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That is odd. Maybe your water company put in a different additive in your tap water supply causing the parameters to go crazy. Any kids or guest in the house recently?

Get the dead shrimp out ASAP to avoid any ammonia/nitrite build up.

If you have an airstone, it would be good to use it now in case there are anaerobic conditions.

-John N.

10. bowman

bowman New Member

i was thinkin the same thing with the water company. Workin on getting dead ones out - so heartbreaking. No visitors to the house. Airstones been in UGH

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about the losses. It is strange when you see a mass die off like that. When something occurs quickly and to many at a time it is most likely some type of poisoning versus anything "natural" like hydra predation (which for the most part are only deadly to shrimplets). Shrimp tend to be the most sensitive critters we keep, although tougher than many give them credit for, they can be good canaries to let you know something is amiss.

Possible sources of poisoning:

what is the pH? rapid pH shift due to something?
    Cleaners like Windex, ammonia based cleaners
    Bug spray
    Insecticides from outside? Is the tank near an open window? Does anyone spray stuff outside..around here they spray for mosquitoes...I don't think it is enough to be harmful but just throwing out possibilities.

Large water changes would be the best approach. If you are really concerned about tap water you could purchase some filtered water from a LFS or the grocery store. RO water would require an addition of a GH booster. LFS should have seachem equilibrium.

If the carapaces appear to be pulling away from the bodies I wonder if they are having trouble molting. What is your Calcium like in your tap water? There is usually plenty...just curious.

12. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I was going to respond, but I can only connect to the site right now via Android tapatalk. Is something going on?

Anyway, only RO/di for my shrimp tanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

13. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Wait wait wait. Are we sure they're dead? Like I know this is a stupid question but when a shrimp dies it normally doesn't shed it's shell, they die inside it and go pink, what you describe to me sounds like a mass moulting, something I've observed in my own shrimp normally caused by a change in water parameters.

They look like the shells are pulling away from the bodies" does sound odd to me... Are there "pinkies" to go with the shed shells?

14. bowman

bowman New Member

no cleaners used near tank. Ph (dont have it infront of me now was fine) Calcium, im not sure never tested that.
    The shrimp were dead, but it was like they molted then died instantly. Or some tried to molt and didnt. But then there were other youngsters that just turned over and died. Removed what I could lastnight still have a few left in the tank that are alive. Doing another water change today. Thanks for all the input

15. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, right I'm with you. I've only heard of this anecdotally but I understand it's something to do with lack of minerals, off hand I can't remember what but I seem to think it's something that's in trace. I know some people dose iodine but I don't know if this is one of those wives tales type things. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-red-cherry-shrimps-dying-after-shedding.html might yield help, I've only skim read it but it seems to be a GH/Ammonia thing but I honestly don't know. It's not unheard of in the UK for water companies to "flush" the mains with chemicals to clean them, do a water change the same day, everything dies. It happened to me about 4 years ago.

16. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

i've read the iodine thing too and used to dose it in very modest amounts. Later I was told the shrimp should be getting all the iodine they need from their food and dosing was unnecessary.

I am curious about the level of organics, DOC's in the water. In tanks where this has gotten on the higher end I have found my shrimp to struggle. There is only one way I know to test this and you have to be brave to do it...turns your tank purple but in small amounts won't kill anything, 2 ppm's of potassium permanganate.

17. bowman

bowman New Member

well I did talk with the water company because this was just too friggin odd for me. Town had a chemical fire at the plant and some run off from them putting out the fire got into the water. They said they issued a warning about the water but i never got it. Im angry and upset. I am told the water "should be fine now" so we will see what this water change does. Thanks for all the input. Hate I lost so many, I am keeping my fingers crossed some make it through all the stress. They are my favs in the tank :(

18. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That's nuts! Another reason why we should all go the RO filtered water route. We just can't trust what's in the tap these days. :censored:

-John N.

19. abhradip1986

that's why I made sure that the place I stay pumps water right from the bedrock and not use municipality water, that way it's much safer!!

20. bowman

bowman New Member

I know! You really cant trust the water anymore. About 9 months ago my water smelled a lot of chlorine, was too afriad to give it to my animals. Im at a point now with this that I have to find other water supplies. Not to mention ive been giving my dog this water - UGH.
    Well keep your fingers crossed for me please