1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Algea problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sipps, Jan 12, 2017.

1. sipps

sipps New Member

Hello guys!

I upgraded my 60L to a 110L for like 5 months ago. 2 or 3 months ago I got a lot of algea that I have never had a problem with before. I have some problems with identifying what type of algea it is and how to remove them.
    I have tried to remove the effected leaves but it just comes back.

About the tank:
    110L
    2 x 18W
    I use fertilizer tablets in the sand (never used this in the old tank so maybe it is too much fertilizing?)
    no co2
    20% water change each week

NO2 = 0
    NO3 = around 12.5mg/l

Pictures of the algea

20170112_131203.jpg 20170112_131203.jpg 20170112_131239.jpg

Attached Files:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

looks like a brush algae with maybe some filamentous diatoms.

2x18 Watt what? T8 tubes? T5?

What type of filter? Flow rate?

How long do you run your lights?

Most likely this is from too much light in a non CO2 setup. Either the light is too strong or on for too long. Likely not from fertilizing. Ferts do not cause algae when plants are growing well, however if plants are not growing well it would allow algae to grow.

Small regular water changes are good for non CO2 setups. Sometimes I think you can avoid frequent water changes altogether if you have good flow and filtration on a non CO2 low light setup.

flchamp89 likes this.
  3. sipps

sipps New Member

T8 18 watt x 2

Eheim Pickup 160 (2010) 220-500L/H.

9 Hours of lights

The plants are growing well.

the filter never become clogged up, and I feel that the flow is still as strong as when I started using it. But maybe it is to small as you say? I will try with more frequent water changes and see if that helps + reduce the time that the lights are on.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend a larger capacity filter. The general rule of thumb is 10x your tank volume. At 100 liters that is 1,000 l/h filter.

Reduce the lighting to 8 hours, hopefully once this is sorted you can increase to even 10 hours. I do not feel that 36 watts of T8 is too much on this setup. You could also begin dosing a daily carbon source like Seachem Excel or similar product. Excel inhibits brush algae and provides an additional carbon source for your plants.

I would also think about a comprehensive liquid fertilizer like Seachem Flourish (I'm most familiar with their products). Modest dosing to the water column may improve plant growth and health.

Before you make all these changes try to manually remove as much of the algae as possible. Places where it is on your hard scape you can spot treat with Excel or hydrogen peroxide to kill the algae. Be careful when doing this as to not dose too much. Only a few ml

5. sipps

sipps New Member

I've read the manual for the filter, and it looks like I had the filter on minimum efficiency.... So I turned it up to maximum efficency now, looks like there is way more movement inside the tank. I guess I will see if that helps aswell, if not I'm going to buy a new filter and it will be a filter that I can have on the outside of the tank. Less space taken up by the filter inside the tank aswell so that would be nice.

I have reduced the lightning now and cleaned up as much algea as I can. My shop does not sell seachem Excel, but they got some similar products that I will try. Guess I need to take a trip to the shop tomorrow. But i will wait with the comprehensive liquid fertilizer until I see the effect of the increased flow, less light and the carbon source product.

This hobby is more extensive than I tought it would be when I started up with it :p

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

sipps

I always had T8 tube lighting for low Tech tanks, I used one daylight and one plant light and replaced them every 12 months.
    See if you can buy the Excel on line as its a very good product.

Water changes I preferred to do a 35% water twice weekly and ran my lights 12hrs a day.
    No hobby is cheap these days if you every decide to go High Tech then you will know what a expensive hobby it can be.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. flchamp89

flchamp89 New Member

Light is the deciding factor. Just not in balance. Don't get frustrated it happens and is mannageable. Takes me on average six months to get a tank where I feel its dialed in. Each time I build one its a little different.

If you dont have excel theres other glut products. Metricide may be available where your at it is typically cheaper and more concentrated yet the same active ingredient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ShadowMac likes this.
  8. sipps

sipps New Member

Went to the shop today, but none of them had any Excel or similar products, so I'm ordering online now. And i changed my minde about the comprehensive liquid fertilizer as it was super cheap online.

Ah I was perhaps a little bad to explain myself. let me try again! At first I tought you would just put a fish in a bowel and everyting would be okay, but it turns out to be more extensive since you have to think about the water quality, what type of fish that can live in what type of water quality, what does the plants need, sicknes and how to treat them and now algea controll :p All of these situations make me learn something new about the hobby so i find it interesting.

But yeah it can get expensive aswell :p

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  9. keithgh

sipps

The fish keeping and Aquascaping hobby is something you never stop learning the minute you stop learning it can become very boring.
    Then there is the next stage in learning and that is how can you help others not make the same mistakes you have made along the way.

A very old Teachers saying is the best way to learn something you have to teach it, I can honestly say it works when you have to teach something you know nothing about or are not qualified to teach that subject.

10. sipps

sipps New Member

The carbo + liquid fertilizer arrived at tuesday and I started using it right away. Today I saw several bubbles on all the leaves, looks like the plants are thriving. I have only seen that on several youtube film's but now I have it in my own living room so I find that exciting! Nothing have changed with the algea yet, but I know I need to be patient. I will come with a update on the progress when I see something have changed in my tank.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  11. keithgh

sipps

Seeing the plants are now "thriving" the algae should slowly start disappearing.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  12. sipps

sipps New Member

Okey it's now march and I am still having problems with Algea growing on my plants, the carbon + less lightning helped against the "density" of the outbreak, but there is always some algea coming back on the outskirt of the leaves. Maybe I'm not doing a good enough job at removing plants that are effected? I have bought some fast growing plants and they are not affected by the algea at all. Should I maybe just remove ALL the affected plants and get some new ones?

I am considering restarting the tank, to get a fresh start and keep it as maintance low as possible but I will give this tank some more months and see if there is something I can do.

13. keithgh

sipps

Slower growing plants can get get more algae than the faster growing plants. I found when I had a greater water movement through the plants plus a 35-40% water change twice a week certainly helped.