1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Algae trouble in new tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryan77, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Ryan77

Ryan77 New Member

I picked up a tank second hand and stripped the plants out. Changed the tank layout and Replanted but its struggling with algae.
    I put fast growing stem plants in (on the left) to try to stem the algae growth as apparently this is a good idea. The larger plants on the right are covered. I'm thinking of chucking them out and putting more fast growing plants in that corner as well until the MC has taken and the algae has settled. The MC is brown in places but the new growth is strong and green.
    Ada aquarium around 20l at a guess.
    2213 eheim filter
    Co2 injected through diffuser
    Livestock is around 20 shrimp and 3 tetras.
    I'm only new to the hobby and any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Ryan [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You didn't mention your light. What type of light and how much? How long is it on for?

Most algae occurs when there is something not allowing plants to grow their best. Either insufficient CO2, insufficient flow, too much light, or a combination.

I wouldn't throw out the plants on the right. They are stems and you can cut away affected portions without losing the plant.

How old is the tank? how long has it been running setup?

Is your CO2 pressurized or DIY? From the picture I do not see many bubbles coming from the diffuser. You are likely short on CO2.

Do you have a drop checker to help guide you in estimating your CO2?

Take some time to read around and learn. Plenty of helpful articles in the ASW magazine links despite being old. The learning curve can feel a bit steep, but progress and improvement isn't far away. You can also take a listen to the podcast in my signature...might help too.

Grow plants well, don't fight algae (y)

keithgh likes this.
  3. Ryan77

Ryan77 New Member

The light is led but not sure of the specs. I'll check tonight when I get home from work. The co2 is pressurized. I had it turned right up until the tetras were gasping for air and then dropped it back a bit. Maybe the duration is the problem. It's on the same timer as my larger tank, 10 hours. I could get a separate timer and try dropping it back to say just 7hours a day?

4. Nate

Nate New Member

How about a day or two no lights?

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Ryan

Sounds like quality research is your first priority.

I would do a very heavy trimming of all of the Algae effected leaves and if necessary cut the stems right back.

Looks like you have a lot of adjustments to do, keep us updated before you do any adjustments.

Keith:cat::cat:

6. Ryan77

Ryan77 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I've trimmed the effected leaves quite heavily and did a 30 - 40% water change. Been doing that every few days. The light has no information other than it's an ADA led. The co2 is pouring in, hopefully the video works. I don't have the drop checker in this tank so I need to get one of them and a test kit from the LFS and get reading as Keith suggest!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Ryan77

Ryan77 New Member

Forgot to ad it's only been planted for a few weeks now so maybe I was a bit rough with the MC and damaged it. Being second hand though everything has already been running. All I did was remove the plants that were in there and put new ones in.

8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Thanks this helps.

The light is an ADA aquasky, on the higher end as far as light output. I would cut the light back to 6-8 hrs for now.

Its funny how relative some of our observations can be. You said the CO2 is pouring in and my thought is that's better, but still on the lower end for the light amount and tank size. One thing to remember if you have trouble with fish being stressed from CO2 is that you may actually have low O2 levels, making CO2 more stressful for the fish. I noticed you do not have much of a surface ripple. It is important to get some good water movement near the surface to ensure the water is being oxygenated. You don't want the force breaking the surface, but you want to see movement.

The second thing is the placement of your diffuser. It is best to have it across from your filter outlet so that the water flows across the top layer of the tank, down the opposite side so that it pushes the CO2 bubbles downward preventing them from rising, and then back along the bottom level of the tank across the substrate.

The plants don't look all that bad other than the algae. If you are getting healthy growth, your algae could be an acclimation thing associated with lower plant density and may work itself out in time as you get more growth. All the new roots in your photos make me think things are growing well.

Lastly, don't be fooled by all those "algae free" tank photos. All tanks get algae or have to deal with algae to some degree. Its normal.

9. Ryan77

Ryan77 New Member

Ahh I thought I was doing the right thing by pointing the outlet down and minimizing surface movement to not lose co2 and try to push the bubbles down but what your saying makes sense. I'll change it up tonight and get a second timer so I can drop the light hours back. Will feedback in a couple weeks how it's going.
    Thanks again.

10. keithgh

Ryan

Its looks very much like its all the fine tuning you have to do take it slowly and most important keep us updated of what is happening in that tank.

11. Ryan77

Ryan77 New Member

[​IMG]

Hi guys just wanted to give you an update on my tank. Things have settled down and everything is growing very nicely. The algae has all but stopped. I do have bba on the hard scape but it hasn't grown any more so I'm still working out how to deal with that.
    Shadow mac was spot on, I've downed the light to 7hrs a day, got some surface movement for oxygen and changed sides with the co2 diffuser. The bubbles are held down in the water column a lot longer than before. Maybe a combo of all these things but the tank has certainly responded for the better!!
    Thanks again guys

keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

Ryan

Looks like you are learning very fast as your Aquascape is showing.