1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Algae Problem..again...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by dirrtybirdy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

Hey guys I have another algae problem in my biotope! I took my water to a pet store and had them test it and everything was normal.

There is a algae bloom that is blanketing my plants, deco and substrate. its not that bad but I want to get rid of it before it causes a problem. Its a darker deep green color. I thought it was BGA and added more current to the tank(put a power head directly on the souce), and its still there. Im going to try and take pictures from my phone today. Any help would be appreciated.

I also overdosed on excel, but it still wouldnt go away. I think its time for me to step up my dosing habits with other elements.

TIA guys

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like cyanobacteria algae? Does it look like the picture below? Basically slimy to the touch, and easy wiped away. If so, per someone's recommendation here, adding KNO3 + more frequent waterchanges may help.

[​IMG]

-John N.

3. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is it the same? it kinda looks like it. if so im going to follow what it says.. thanks john for the help.

4. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

John,

Do you think its the same kind of algae? Im quite confused with the article.

I dont know if im missing the info but it doesnt really say how to cure the algae.

Im going to start doing more frequent water changes. About 50% weekly. The KNO3 what is that stuff? Im not too familiar with the chemicals yet. Can you shine some light on this subject for me?

Thanks John!

5. Aqualux

Aqualux New Member

Looking at those pictures you most certainly have cyanobacteria algae. I had them in my tank as well. What helped me was to black out the tank completely for a few days (wrapping a blanket around it) but this technique has two drawbacks: firstly, your plants may suffer since they receive no light whatsoever during the blackout period. Secondly, you don't really get rid of the root cause for the algae and they may reappear.

As John suggested dosing KNO3 may be the better option. KNO3=Potassium nitrate. If I remember correctly it is above all the nitrate that the cyanobacteria don't like and that's why dosing KNO3 could help you to get rid of them.

What is your current fertilizing regime on this tank?
    Can you post a picture of the entire tank?

6. 541116587

541116587 New Member

暴藻了,加几条青苔鼠

7. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

[​IMG]

i only dose the tank with excel. i do 50% change every other week but im going to have to do it every week. also going to pick up some KNO3 this weekend.

8. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

It's definitely cyanobacteria aka Blue-Green Algae. Cyanobacteria is basically an organism that can photosythesize and grow well in anaerobic conditions (without oxygen). Like plants, if you give it alot of Light + Nutrients it will do very well. Cyanobacteria can occur in nutrient imbalanced aquariums and planted aquariums with low plant density.

Causes:
    * Low nitrates
    * Poor circulation
    * Poor filtration.

Solutions:

* Increase nitrates (KNO3)
    * Clean your filter out
    * UV sterilizer\
    * Increase dissolved oxygen
    * Dose Erythromycin
    * As Aqualux suggested a blackout is a good way to eradicate it.
    * Gravel Vac substrate

Your tank looks pretty healthy, so try the other methods first and see if you can get a handle on it. Gravel vac, do waterchanges and clean out those filters about twice a week. If the problem persists perhaps think about doing a blackout for a few days.

-John N.

9. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

John thanks for the information.

very useful tips. I havent changed my filter in a month or so because the last time i did the water got really cloudy. I will change it tomorrow as well as 50% of the water.

Im also probably going to do a blackout for 2 days to help speed up the process.

Again, thanks a lot john.:=D>