1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Algae or Fungus?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by xigtc, Apr 21, 2017.

1. xigtc

xigtc Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm using a API master test kit. It's the one everyone swears by for the most accurate measurement. It is a year old kit but I use it one my other tank and I don't get the same readings. To me it's not a fluke or a flawed test and it's the water.

The test uses 5ml test tubes filled with tank water and you add specific amounts of solution shake and wait 5 min for results. Each tube is throughly cleaned after each test and I don't mix them with other test solutions outside the kit.

Filter media is Fluval biomedia, sponge that came with the tank, and filter floss or whatever it's called.

I am using Seachem Stability I've used it on ever tank to date. When I initially setup this tank I followed the instructions for adding X amount for 7 days. I also add it when doing a water change. I still use it when doing big changes in my 50g.

Only thing different on this tank that I've never used is co2. With the new settings it's keeping the bubble check a yellow color rather than the previous yellow/green tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Got the API master test kit myself, others have said waste of money whilst others rate them. I used it at startup for a relative indication of how the tank was cycling.

If the drop checker is yellow all will be fine, at this stage, turn it down a little when you add your livestock OFC.

Did your filter come with a carbon filter? If it did and fitted i would take it out. Carbon filters have a place in non planted tanks but in planted tanks they just mop up all the ferts from the water

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh likes this.
  3. xigtc

Yes I've seen mixed reviews as well but it hasn't proven to a bad investment to me before. No I'm not running carbon just ceramic bio media, sponge, and floss.

Zeus likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

xigtc

Great looking good except a few finer points.

More checking.

Filter are you cleaning it if so how?

Could it be the Substrate?

Are you using any thing else as well as the Stability? I would consider double dosing.

I am not a Co2 user and my knowledge is Zero about them

http://scapefu.com/scapefu015-measuring-co2-aquarium/

If you are still cycling your pH will be all over the place it might effect your Co2 readings.

Is it 110% necessary to run the Co2 at the moment if not I would turn it off until the tank is fully cycled with the extra plants added.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. xigtc

When I clean the filter I do so with water I emptied out. I'm using Seachem Prime at water changes. Only other additive was a liquid macro/micro fertilizer but ice not added any in a week.

What I understand the grass will grow much faster with the aid of co2. I can indeed reduce how many I'm allowing into the tank.

6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

As long as the drop checker doesn't go clear the increased [CO2] should boost plan growth which in turn will inhibit the algea. I
    The extra plants with the CO2 should help too.
    Do you have a powerhead by any chance ? The extra flow should help too

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

xigtc, keithgh and TryHardDutchScaper like this.
  7. xigtc

Between work and life I haven't made any changes. Hornwort is in and I'm doing a 50% water change every other day.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Judging by how the hornwort seems stuck in the middle of the tank, you might eventually might want more flow with the aid of a power head. If the flow was sufficient, I would expect to see the hornwort on one side of the tank. A video of the tank will help confirm if there is adequate flow.

9. xigtc

The little pump is at full speed. When I had it setup before the fish didn't like the flow with it being a small tank. I couldn't imagine adding a powerhead let alone finding one small enough for the small space. Quick video:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. keithgh

xigtc

Your water flow only appears to be on or just below the surface a simple airstone might even do a far better job.

Your filter outlet where is it and can the outlet flow be adjusted to point downwards.

xigtc likes this.
  11. xigtc

Yep it can rotate and twist any direction. I clean the pump at least once a weak during a water change. I'll give it a look and double check it's on the highest setting.

Zeus likes this.
  12. keithgh

Xigtc

I used to use a product that would collect all the fine bits and pieces in the water it always made the water cloudy for a short period of time then the water was crystal clear. By adding a little into the water flow I could always check the water flow.

My Eheim outlets were in three sections which gave me plenty of flexibility re water flow.

The smaller filter pumps were always stripped down and cleaned weekly that way no strain on the pump plus a greater filtration its just another maintenance job that must be done.

13. keithgh

xigtc

Have not heard from you for awhile did you manage to fix your water flow concerns?