1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

algae in pump and hoses

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kcraven, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi guys, I am setting up a new nano tank and using my mini canister filter. However, the filter has a bucket load of a reddish-brown colored (what i think is ) algae. I am cleaning my filter (wish i didn't have to as it would have cut down my first cycle of water time by a bit) with vinegar and considering bleach. My concern is I don't think I can get rid of all of it from the motor head. Is there any way to get rid of this algae? I really don't want it to come in huge number in the new tank especially has I am running a good amount of light into the new setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It is most likely bacteria not algae. If no light hits those parts it cannot be algae. It is typical of all filtration parts that the water travels through. I run a brush through my hoses and clean the filter every 3-4 weeks. As long as everything can move I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Why are you cleaning your filter with vinegar? or bleach? Was it not running for a long time and had a lot of dead organic matter in it? I clean my filter media by rinsing out any mechanical media with tap water. I rinse out bio media with tank water to preserve the bacteria.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Normally you can open the motor assembly to access the impeller. Then use brush to clean it. Not sure by reddish-brown colored, if you have picture, it would be good if you can post it. If you decided to use bleach, use H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) instead, less harmful. Either way you need to cycle from zero gain because all the BB will be dead. You can easily get H2O2 from pharmacy.

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. Kcraven

Thanks guys for the help. I ended up just scrubbing and soaking it for the most part. And I will have to do a full cycle period anyways! Its only 15 liters and I have it planted up so hopefully the cycle period shouldn't be too long!

Thanks for all the help

kind regards

Adam

5. Kcraven

Hi guys, This algae has returned though its not as bad as it was! Its not throughout the whole pump and pipes but I am finding heaps of it on my glass! I am running a CFL (20 Watts) over a 15 Liter tank. Is this WAY to much light for a tank with only liquid CO2? Could this be my cause and What can do I do get rid of it ?

Cheers Adam

6. ShadowMac

Do you have a picture?

7. Kcraven

HI Shawn, I will try and take a picture sometime today unfortunately I only have a camera on my phone.... But I will try and take a good picture and post it up so I can get some assistance in controlling it!

Thanks for your reply!

8. Kcraven

9. ShadowMac

I don't see much algae? maybe something from a little further away.

Remember that everyone, even the best of us clean our tanks, wipe the glass of some algae, etc. A little algae is natural. If it grows and over takes your plants you have a problem. If you have little on your glass I would just take a paper towel and wipe it off. I wipe my glass every week when I do a water change. When things are running smooth there isn't much to clean, if things aren't there is more on the glass.

I don't think you have too much light. How long has the tank been up?

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  10. Kcraven

Its been up for a while now maybe a month or so. Its only 15 liters. There isn't any on my plants so maybe I am just stressing about nothing! Will have to try some paper towel! Thanks for the help Shawn!

11. Hajiabadi

Hajiabadi New Member

11w light enough for your tank, so test PO4.
    Did you have any fish?

12. Kcraven

Yes I have a few fry in there at the moment and a few shrimp! They seem to pick at it!

13. ShadowMac

PO4 should not be an issue. Plant more plants! add some water sprite, H. difformis, some fast dense growers. I see several slow growers. Plant density is your friend.