1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Algae Fuzz

Discussion in 'Algae' started by David B. Diehl, Jul 18, 2016.

1. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Started using algaefix wish me luck. Is that water useable for a planted tank, also found a reverse osmosis 4-stage filtration system from Reverse Osmosis Revolution for about $90 will treat about 400-600 gal before filter change.

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

How fast is algaefix supposed to work? Have new leaves with no algae and same if not bigger on older growth. Considering using 2 Colbalt canister filters in new 75 gal tank. can't find or afford Eheim filter.

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

324W eek. That is a serious amount of light over the tank even with cutting out the middle period. I would try and reduce it down to somewhere in the region of 100W max personally especially seeing as they are T5. I would only use about 75W LED over a 55 and about 100W T5 and even then I would want pressurised CO2 to be working flawlessly.

4. David B. Diehl

Only using half of light at a time, 3 bulbs for 5 hours off for 2 back on for 5 hours. Plants are growing new growth again but algae is still here but not on new growth. No CO2 all beginner plants.

5. Supercoley1

Still a lot of light especially for a non CO2 tank and 10 hours is not helping.

I would run 2 max for 6 hours and leave it at that. I might even just use 1 tube for 8 hours seeing as you say they are beginner plants. If it is ferns, crypts and anubias they would be fine with 1WPG. Let the plants catch up and not provide the boost for the algae.

I used to use a single T5HO over my 125ltr deep with beginner plants and that needed CO2.

6. David B. Diehl

Light will not work unless all bulbs are in and working so minimum is three bulbs. Also have dwarf sag, hairgrass, moneywort and vallisineria

7. Supercoley1

Is there any way you can raise the light up from the tank? Increasing the distance will reduce the light a little.

8. David B. Diehl

Started new 75 gal tank with pictures if you are interested in another forum.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Why another forum? Which one?