1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Algae Fuzz

Discussion in 'Algae' started by David B. Diehl, Jul 18, 2016.

1. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Cleaned tank and did 50% water change, took apart and cleaned canister filter and all hoses and removed algae with razor blade. A few days later green fuzz all over plants about 1mm in size. Tank is 55gal long, 324 watt T-5 florescent light bought off E-bay. Running canister filter from under gravel filter plates. Algae is back on glass and can not clean because of assassin snail eggs all over glass. Cut lighting in half with 3 hour break around noon, all plants are beginner plants. How can I get rid of algae? Uncle Bills is no help they just want to sell me more plants. Think that is where I got algae to start with, bulk of plants I got from Plant Factory off E-bay. Tank is also full of baby fish all live bearers. Also have no sub straight just gravel. Need help bad.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David B. Diehl

Can we have every detail about your tank and filtration.

Medium type, do you use carbon, how often cleaned and how is it done.

A full water test done and how it was done?

Water changes what percentages also how often?

Substrate type and how is it cleaned?

A full list of all inhabitants.

Feeding type of food, how often and quantity?

Please post several full tank photos.

This might seem a big ask but to help you every detail is very important.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. David B. Diehl

Medium is standard gravel from pet store about 10 years old same age as tank. Water test just done with Tetra test strip Nitrate - 40, Nitrite -0, Total hardness -300 used water from Kroger bottled water display thought it was safe, was wrong. Total chlorine -0, Total alkalinity between 80-120, ph about 7.5. Water change once a month 50% per Uncle Bill's Pet Center. Filter cleaned every 2 months as per pet center. It is a Colbalt canister type connected to old system under gravel filter system. When connected after cleaning can see chunks of debris pulled through hoses. Lighting is a 324 watt T-5, six bulb fluorescent HO REEF light bought from Factory Direct in Calf. off E-Bay. Fish all live bearers, Guppies, Platies, Swordtails, Hybrid mix Platies, 2 albino Cory catfish, Ghost shrimp, MTS snails, Pond snails I am currently feeding to 10 Assassin snails. Plants consist of Hair grass standard, three types of Crypts Parva, Waisillai and a brown one. Cabomba, Java fern, Moneywort, Two types of vasalli??? or eel grass- spirilis and corkscrew and dwarf sag. Food Tetramin tropical twice to three times a day what will fit between two fingers. also put fertilizer pellets in gravel base, was told that is what it needed.
    History on tank. Set-up about Nov using old equipment with standard lighting and new plants from Plant Factory (good co.) also had dwarf hair grass, dwarf baby tears, Ludwig repens and micro swords also in tank. Ludwig repens was growing great till received new light. Turned dark red then purple then black and rotted off. Was told too much light after started to die, remains in 5 gal tank in first pic and starting to regrow. Did regular water changes with tap water on the hard side, never had ammonia problem. Cambomba grew great about a month then tips turned white and rotted off. Vassilias grew to top of tank and then I think due to pond snails started to get holes and fraid ends and is now back to original height of 6 in. Cryps. parva and waisillia were cultures and are the only thing growing better than expected. Java fern is growing good also and sending out new. Moneywort was a freebe. Everything now has a 2mm layer of fuzz algae on it after I cleaned tank glass with razor blade, it was the only thing that would remove it from glass. Light is now on from 9:00am. till 1:00pm and then back on at 4:00pm till 10:00pm. using half of the six bulbs. I think the assassin snail eggs got eaten unless they hatch in a couple of days.

Would like to go up to a 75gal tank using same plants, Eco-Complete Substrate and a larger canister filter without the under gravel filter plates and same light. Not until I solve the current problems though. Have new Christmas moss and Spikey moss to add and whatever the other plant is in first pic. Second pic is 55gal tank as is. After testing water I think that was what caused the algae bloom. Uncle Bill's water is bare as the call it and thought that filtered drinking water was the same. Hope you can help, was told there was a chemical I could use in the water that will kill the algae but not the plants.

Attached Files:

4. keithgh

David B. Diehl
    Test strips can and often are inaccurate. Recommended Nitrate below 10.

35 % twice weekly would certainly be advisable.

Recommend monthly.

Reef tanks require special lighting to promote coral growth and provide ... Saltwater aquariums benefit from T5 HO light fixtures that produce brighter light http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Top-5-Aquarium-Reef-Tank-Light-Fixtures-/10000000178133192/g.html
    Is light suitable for a FW tank as its a brighter and a blueish light?

That is a large mix but not how many of each.

I hate to say it but those plants do not look very healthy.

Feed once per day is sufficient, Fert tabs are good providing they are quality and only used as directed.

I used an Eheim Canister and a UGF on my two larger tanks for many years if set up correctly never a problem.
    Same light??

Personally I think you have received a lot of information of which I would not agree with.
    Next step strip that tank down and start afresh with all the correct information from ASW.

The plants can be treated but preferably with none of your inhabitants.

Other members could have different ideas on the best action to take.

5. David B. Diehl

Fish count- Guppies 1 large adult about 2", 6+ medium 1 - 1.5", ?- 3/4 or smaller. Platies 5 adult 1.5", 6-8 1", ? newborn. Swordtails 3 adult green2-2.5", about 10-1", ? babies. The light is to expensive to replace it has 3 white and 3 blue bulbs 54 watt from sea world. Only using half at a time. Can strip tank down and start over with new 75 gal tank if told how. fish and snails can be put in other tanks running at this time for about 6 months 5 gal and 20 gal. Will get new filter for 75 gal tank. Do I still use under gravel filter plates? How to treat tank to get rid of algae and hopefully pond snails too. Need to be told what, how much and how long. Did not know sites like this existed or would have looked into it sooner. Thanks for all the help and patience so far. Picture 3 is tank in April or May.

I think algae bloom was from Kroger water do they still sell reverse osmoses filters? Had one years ago with first tanks. Hope to eventually get my 250 gal tank set up.

Attached Files:

6. keithgh

David B. Diehl

Live bearers can over load a tank very quickly once they get established and start breeding.

Long before you buy any equipment do a lot of research preferably here ASW that way you will get reliable support.
    Filters many members use Eheim filters main reason they are a quality unit and in saying that quality is always not the cheapest.

I will not comment on that light as I do not know of it, I will leave it up to one of the lighting experts.

As its an old tank that is easy we can explain every thing when you are ready.

If you are just using the plates its not necessary or, are you going to set up a UGF system?

There are products that can be used I have never used them at all again I cannot answer that question it will better answered by a USA member who is familiar with what is available.

There are plenty of Forums on the WWW but you answered your own question you should have contacted ASW first and get all the correct advice first.

I very much doubt it there are many other points that could have caused it.

Most important locate a very reliable LFS not a store that is only interested in your money
    There could be a member in your area or another member who can help you.

7. David B. Diehl

Going to sound stupid, what is a LFS I'm thinking something fish supplier. Ready to move fish, kill some algae and start over. All I need is the right help this time. Will relay info to appropriate forums. also will be using under gravel filters from old tank

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  8. keithgh

David B. Diehl

Local Fish Store or Shop or Supplier
    How many risers are you using for the UGF and size of Air Pump/s you have or going to get?

9. David B. Diehl

using 2 risers that are connected to canister filter through 1" tubing in riser. New filter will probably be 4-350 or 4-600 both about same price on E-bay

10. keithgh

David B. Diehl

Can you give us more information on the filter brand and model number. The filter is the Work Horse of your tank and it "must" be a high quality unit. Many advertised LPH, GPH are given on an empty filter (no medium) or a cheap medium used.

11. David B. Diehl

It's the brand you recommended Eheim on E-bay. The 4-350 is for 350 liters. and the 4-600 is for 600 liters.

12. David B. Diehl

Also was going to use peat instead of charcoal and use Organic pond soil as substrate. Downloaded from this site

13. David B. Diehl

This is what the light looks like. No brand or markings of any kind. Think it's from co. Yescom USA ltd.

Attached Files:

14. keithgh

David B. Diehl

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/node/6249#technology

Only use the recommended medium, Carbon only to be used for 1-2 weeks during the Cycling process then throw it away.
    Why?

I have no knowledge of that product at all, if its a soil it will get sucked through your UGF plates.

15. David B. Diehl

This site under substrate suggested using it instead to lower ph. Same with the soil but can't find it so using Eco- complete planted. About 40lbs. should I use it over the gravel I already have? That light has absolutely no markings on it inside or out.

16. keithgh

David B. Diehl
    On average a tank is pH 7-7.2 once you start adding ??? to change it (unless required to) you could easily have problems.
    Eg a very high pH water supply. I can and usually gives your tank a light brownish colour like timber tannin's.

I personally would only use the Eco Complete.

Your UGF setup is confusing me why are you running it through your filter instead of using air pumps, I used that method for many years large and small tanks.

17. David B. Diehl

The ph. in my water is 8.4 or higher, the article said peat helps lower it. The filter is running hooked to the risers then out to the filter through the hoses. There was always a lot waste under them when I cleaned and this sucks it out from under. Air pumps never did do a god job with the air stones. If you look at tank pictures you can see them coming out of the top. Will transfer the fish out of the one tank into the other two so I can kill the algae. What do I need to get to do the job. Say something called algaefix mentioned. Eco-complete 40lbs. will give me about a layer depth of 2", What is the deepest I should go?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  18. keithgh

David B. Diehl

Is that your water supply or tank water?
    If you have a LFS that is using the same water ask what they are doing about it.

I always preferred 8-10cm this will depend on your Aquascape levels and the plants you intend to grow.

Algaefix often mentioned on ASW but I never had a bad algae problem in 50 years.

19. David B. Diehl

That is my tap water, fish supply water is neutral or bare from what they say. Was going to use peat in filter because ASW said it would lower ph. in tank and release helpful chemicals for fish. 8cm is about 3" which I will taper up to or more in back. By the way put shredded pieces of Ludwig Repens in 5gal tank with standard fluorescent light and is growing new shoots and roots. The only algae problem I've had was whole tank water turned green and had to add chemical to have filter take it out. Did you understand how I was using the UGF with canister filter? Algaefix says you can leave fish in tank, Is that recommended?

20. David B. Diehl

Found source for water at levels: Aprox No2- 0, No3-0, Hardness-0, KH-120, Ph- 7.2 is this quality water $1.20 per gallon.