1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Aggressive Flame Tetra

Discussion in 'Fish' started by MarineRecon, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

Hello, today I purchased 5 neon tetras in my 10 gallon tank. when I was acclimating them using the bag method I realized something was wrong when the flame tetra was attacking the bag. When I added the neons the flame tetra then continued to chase/attack them. I am leaving them in the dark to get the fish relaxed. It seems to be working a little because the aggression seems to be lowering after about 4 hours. Could the Flame tetra just be established who is boss (pecking order)?

The tank is a 10 gallon tank with:

1 Flame Tetra
    5 Neon Tetra

Any help would be appreciated! :D

2. mihaim

mihaim New Member

Tetras are shoaling fish. Add 4-5 more and it should be fine.

3. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

Ok thanks. So I should have 5 Flame tetras and 5 neon tetras altogether? I just hope this flame tetra doesnt decide to attack the new guys on the block! ;)

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

The flame tetras ideally need a bigger tank and with 10 fish I suspect you'll be sailing closely to overstocked. Flame tetras are also notoriously extremely vicious and active fish for their size, some people consider them to be species tank only type fish especially in small aggregations of say less than 30 fish.

5. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I just don't know what to do with the von rio! I wonder if adding more neons would help?

Right now it seems that the von rio claimed half of the tank. The good news is that he isn't really "hunting" down the neons anymore, but the bad news is that the 5 neons have only half a tank. It got better, I just hope that it keeps getting better. :)

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

7. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

Wow thanks!

That is the best stocking calculator that I've seen so far. :D

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I was going to post that myself.

What was the results when you completed it.

Neons do better in a big school 20+ if not they will often hide most of the time.

Sounds like they are being stressed by the other fish.

Keith:):)

9. MarineRecon

MarineRecon New Member

Right now all it recommends is adding 4 more flame tetras. It said that my filtration is 172% if I decided to stock it with 4 more flame tetras, but it also said that I would be 103% overstocked. Other than that everything is perfect. Actually, the flame tetra and the neons are getting along. The flame tetra still has a corner of the tank but he sometimes lets the neons pass by. Other times he chases the neon for about 1 second (In human terms it would be someone taking a fast step forward lol). It is kind've funny when the flame tetra decides to "check" on what the neons are doing on the other side of the tank. He will just swim over and stare at them and go back to his corner. He will never chase them on that side of the tank.

Everything is getting better as the days pass by. :D