1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Advice and Opinions from experienced fish keepers.

Discussion in 'Fish' started by BrianS, Feb 12, 2015.

1. BrianS

BrianS New Member

Hey everyone I am new to this aquascaping and fish keeping hobby. I have been doing it for a year and I still have alot to learn I figured joining a form can help. I started with a a 10 gallon tank with a gravel substrate. Got some juvinle tiger barbs, serpae tetras, and a small sucker fish with fake plants. Then I moved up to a 40 gallon tank after I didn't kill anything and learned a little bit. In my 40 I put my tiger barbs (3) my serpae tetras (3) and (3) mixed fruit tetras. Then I added (3) pictus catfish and a juvenile pink tail chalceus. Still gravel substrate. Yesterday I tranfered my fishes to a 55 long tank with sand. Now I have a school of 5 fish each (mixed fruit, serpae tetras, and tiger barbs) 3 pictus catfish, 2 dojo loaches, 1 rope fish (ordering one more tommarow), my pink tail chalceus, and a 9 inch common pleco oh and a redtail shark. I am trying to heavily plant my tank. Any suggestions. I have 2 plants I bought from petco. A fake piece of wood for the rope fish and dojo's to hide during the day. I was looking to get some real wood that looked like mango grove roots. (real if possible) I was also looking to heavily plant the tank next week. Any suggestions. All the fish seem to get along just fine I keep the water between 71-75 degrees.

I have been feeding a mix of fish flakes, dried shrimp, little granuels, and live foods (crickets, various worms) to my bottom feeders, with the occasional pieces of beef. (The pictus catfish, pink tail chalceus)

Anyone got any advice on plants, maybe another group of fish (looking for a few more top dewellers), and so on. Does anyone see any compatability issues with what I have in the tank as of now? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Brian

Can you run http://www.aqadvisor.com/ again and post all the full report please.

I can see several concerns that could develop as some of your fish get older and naturally bigger, then they can become very territorial and be the tank boss, or eat any thing that can fit into their mouth.

Your tank 55g, what are the actual measurements please?

Water changes what percentage and how often?

Give us as much information about you tank as you can also include and additives you use?

Several photos would be appreciated I suggest you use Photobucket its easy to use and its FREE.

Keith:):)

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Lol. Keith is being very diplomatic there. I would worry about the choices of fish there. I would think the Pictus will start picking off the smaller fish eventually especially in a planted tank where they will ambush them.

The Dojo locahes will get quite big but should be OK in a 55.

The rope fish I assume will eat anything it can catch!!!!

The Chalceus will get really big and the Plec even bigger.

Redtail Sharks are fine on their own but can get sick pretty easily and definitely should not have 'a friend'.

The smaller fish should really be in larger groups.

IMO it may not be a problem now but when all these fish are mature I would expect all of those small fish to either get eaten or scared to death and the fishload seems to me to be pretty high.

Always better IMO to go for less species and more of each than a couple of each species. i.e. rather than 5 of each of your smaller fish I would have bought 15 of something (or in that size tank I might have got 50 or so.) Then maybe a small school of something like Corys or smaller plecs or Otos. Then maybe something else too.

When you get into the realms of really big fish then you have to have super filtration. IMO for what you have in there I would suggest an external filter of circa 2000lph/528gph at a bare minimum and even then cleaning it thoroughly at least onece a month.

Sorry for the directness there.

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Supercoley1

As Brian was a new member I was only treading softly until I got the full reply.

I had 4 big Pictus and would eat any thing it could fit in its mouth, another RTS was the boss of the tank especially at feeding time, I also had a school of peaceful (sorry forget name) BUT someone forgot to tell the slightly larger dominant male he was a pure killer.

Keith:):)

Supercoley1 likes this.