1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ADA Aquasoil Type I vs II, Powder vs Normal

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by bsnyder921, Feb 17, 2011.

1. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of redoing my 29 gallon aquarium with new equipment, new substrate, and eventually new plants. I'm keeping a video diary for my project, and I've posted one video so far that shows my current (and very poorly maintained) setup. Here's a link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9HMT1VIfaQ]YouTube - 01 Beginning Setup[/ame]

I also just posted some questions about choosing sand, so if you haven't looked that that yet, read it here>> http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/general-aquascaping-discussions/4327-choosing-sand.html

Okay, so a few threads ago I asked everyone about their pick for the best substrate. Most of you agreed that ADA Aquasoil is really good stuff, although it isn't necessarily the "only" really good substrate out there. After checking the stuff out on Aqua Design Amano USA/ADGshop.com- now available in the U.S.A, prouldy offered by Aquarium Design Group. The finest planted aquarium products., I've learned that it isn't terribly expensive - at least it isn't as expensive as all that Flourite that I bought! So now that I've decided to redo my aquarium with Aquasoil, I need some help selecting a type.

It looks like the "industry standard" is the Amazonia type, which looks like a nice dark brown color. I'm good with that. However - there are two "types" of Amazonia. Powder type, and Normal type. Powder is more expensive.

Question #1: What's the difference between Normal and Powder type other than the size of the pieces of the substrate? When would I want to use one type over another, and why is Powder type more expensive? Is the Powder type like sand?

Question #2:
    There is also Amazonia I and Amazonia II. What's the difference there? The price is the same. I've heard some people say that Amazonia II doesn't leach out ammonia like Amazonia I does, but I've also heard some people say that that isn't the case. So what's the difference?

Thanks again for the continued help!

2. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

From what I understand is that you put a thin layer of the power over the "normal" sand.

From my own research on Amazonia I and II the II gets a bit messy. This is just the opinion of people who use it and have posted on sites I visited while doing my own substrate research. I have no personal experience with any of the above mentioned products :)

3. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aspiring Aquascaper

Powder is not required, we only use it when we plant small root plant like HC or create a nano tank as there the normal grains looks too large sometimes.

One big advantage of the powder is the grain size. We do used 1cm height powder on top of the Amazonia I and got a beauty carpet in 15 days! Of course we did everything to make it happen, but HC would never fill up the space if we use only Amazonia without powder.

You can check the aquarium here:
    Green Aqua - Showroom | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Amazonia I is richer in nutrient than Amazonia II. I personally only use Amazonia I unless out of stock. Powder type only use if I want to grow HC or glosso, Normally I just put thin layer on the area where I want to grow HC or glosso