1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ADA 90p: Manzanita Branch Nature Scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Here is the start to what I hope is an ongoing journal of my most recent scape in my 90 cm tank. The tank is located in my office/den room. I'll start with some tank specs and then some photos.

Tank: 90cmx45cmx45cm
    Light: ATI Powersun dimmable T5 with 2x6500k daylight bulbs, 1x10000K bulb, 1x 4500 pink flora bulb
    Filter: Eheim Pro 3 2075
    Flow: Eheim skim 350 and eco tech MP10
    Substrate: Amazonia aquasoil
    Pressurized CO2 with inline Cerges style reactor
    Ferts: Seachem Aquavitro Line (for the moment, wanted to give it a try)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was fairly close to what the final hardscape ended up looking like, except for the removal of the awkward horizontal branch on the left.

I planted as soon as my plants arrived unfortunately I did not get photos of that process. I was trying to get it done and it took a very long time. I had a near disaster during the process as well. Long story short, the linked hoses I had been using to spray and mist plants as I went had been leaking and required some clean up I was fortunate a few things aligned so that it wasn't a total disaster. It just kept me from getting much sleep that night.

The tank has been going well and I will share pictures of it planted soon. I have had some issues with some hair algae. A type I have not encountered before. I will also try to show some pics of it as well. It is long single strand threads that attach to older leaves and hardscape. It seems to anchor itself and grow the long strand out from there. It is very tough to remove as it doesn't catch easily in anything.

Stay tuned...

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shadow

That piece stands out like a saw thumb it could very easily ruined the complete Aquascape.

Looks like another excellent scape on its way.

Keith:):)

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Shawn, I like the hard scape And the DW to looking fab. Sorry to hear about algae Horrid stuff :( Looking forward to seeing your new Scape planted up :D

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

This one is gonna be good folks! Can't wait!

-John N.

Ian and ShadowMac like this.
  5. ShadowMac

Thank you guys for the kind words.

I absolutely agree, Keith, that piece stood out in the worst way. I couldn't quite get it arranged to flow with the other pieces so I removed it. I'm using plants as the attention getters in this scape and that area will be filled with some crypts and various stems. The idea is that most of the hardscape in the rear will be swallowed by stems and poke out into the forground and the path transition.

I think I have finally mastered (or at least got the hang of) growing HC. The carpet is spreading and filling in thick.

The confounding thing is with all the nice growth this hair algae doesn't seem to be receding at all. You can't see it from a distance, but up close you can see the individual strands. I have a couple plans of attack. First, I'm trying some consistent dosing of Excel. I dose it irregularly and will try for some regular dosing to see if it is inhibited. It is a green algae, which Excel doesn't usually fight, but it also the way it anchors reminds me of staghorn. It is really stubborn and I don't think I can manually remove it. It most likely originated from my HC. Again, I'm reminded a nice KMnO4 bath of plants before planting is prudent. It will zap some dormant or unseen algae or pests. HC being as delicate as it is, I didn't want to mess with it since I wasn't confident in growing it well. I am now. If the Excel doesn't work, I found that a 30 ppm KMnO4 bath for 3 minutes on hardscape kills it, not possible with plants. If I decide a 2 ppm tank dose is safe. Amanos don't take kindly to it, but can usually tolerate it. That might get it too. We will see. Normally I would advocate for regular manual removal and improve growth of plants, but I think my plant growth is near optimum and I don't see how I can manually remove it all. I could try a MAJOR trim in a month if need be. We will see.

Here is a plant list:

Hemianthus callitrichoides
    Hemianthus micranthemoides
    Erio. parkeri
    Blyxxa japonica
    Anubias bonsai
    Rotala green
    Alternathera renickii "mini"
    Echinodorus tennelus
    Rotala sunset
    Rotala indica "true" or ammania bonsai
    Pogostemon erectus
    Phoenix moss
    Flame moss
    Rotala macandra "green" (honestly one of my fav stems if you can grow it well)
    and some more stems I need to either ID or determine if they will be permanent members of the scape.

Picture of current status coming soon....

6. ShadowMac

The fish are coming on Tuesday. The stock will be:

Danio Erythromicron - 12
    Axelrodia reesei - 30
    Apistogramma Borelli "blue" - 4
    high grade cherry shrimp (AA) - ?
    Amanos (20)
    Otos (5)
    juvenile albino bushy nose plecos - 3 (very small to combat algae until they are disruptive or too large)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

how is it going, we want some pics ;)

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

to get rid of hair algae simply increase N dosing

ShadowMac likes this.
  9. ShadowMac

thanks Juri, I'll give it a try. My N dosing is probably leaner than usual with the Aquavitro line. I usually dose EI, but wanted to see the what the Aquavitro was all about. I will most likely switch back to EI after I'm done with them and compare results.

Ian likes this.
  10. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shadow

Its amazing how many Aquascapes you see that just do not balance out simply because a piece of DW (eg your tank) or a rock that just does not blend in with the complete theme.

When I was setting up the 750 Shrimp tank I played around with two small pieces of DW to make it look like one piece, I can assure the small cutters were use more than once and the cut off's were place exactly where I wanted them to be.

When finished I leave it alone for a few days and come back with a fresh outlook.

I work on "What's the hurry" think twice then again and act once.

Its very easy to see you are planning well ahead, I am sure this will give you a higher rating next time.

Keith:):)

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. ShadowMac

As requested and promised :whistle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

kisanjong, Ian, randy0319 and 5 others like this.
  12. ShadowMac

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Mahantesh, keithgh and stevo like this.
  13. ShadowMac

Equipment Setup:

[​IMG]

14. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey Shawn,

Great setup! What are the electrics that you have at the back of the cabinet?

Cheers

Simon

15. ShadowMac

I have a controller, which right now is just a glorified timer. I don't run the pH or temp probe for it, unnecessary gear and more stuff in the tank. My ATI has its own timer, so I don't need it to run my lights anymore. I use it to turn the CO2 on and off now. Used to use it as a pH and temp controller, time pumps, a lot of stuff. Simple is better. The other item is the controller for the Ecotech MP10 pump. A very cool pump, I have it running on the lowest setting in lagoon mode.

16. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Just googled it. Those are so awesome! I want one... if only it didnt cost a bomb!

Cheers

Simon

Ian likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Aspiring Aquascaper

Such a nice start! Can You please ID the plant on the top of the branch, outside water? :)

raven_wilde likes this.
  18. ShadowMac

The plants are various species of tillandsia. They are air plants and require little in terms of care. I thought they would look cool on the tops of the wood as they are too far out of the water to grow some immersed plants.

19. ShadowMac

They are the best. Give a very good broad low pressure flow. They are really strong pumps, too. It is unfortunate, but they cost quite a lot for a pump.

20. stevo

stevo Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for the answer! ;)

ShadowMac likes this.