1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Acclimatizing shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Garuf, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hello, I've never had any luck with shrimp so on getting some bargain bee shrimp I decided to get 6. This morning however my bad luck with shrimp struck again and I found all 6 dead around the algae pellet I'd added to feed them.

I'd drip acclimatized the shrimp for 7 hours nearly 8, half way through emptying half the water from the bucket back into the tank at the end, I'd added a heater and set it so that it read the same as the tanks heater after this I added the shrimp to the tank by netting them out and placing them in.

I didn't notice any immediate distress, there was no "bolting" of smashing into things or swimming at the surface, they all went off and explored the tank and for the hour or so I observed them they were all fine. I'd not dosed and I hadn't had the co2 on that day either trying to give them a fighting chance but still I get deaths.
    Anyone who could give me an insight into where I'm going wrong I'd encourage you to do so. :(

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

IMO you've done everything right, maybe they were in bad condition or if you experienced the same for multiple time now, I would check your water parameters. Shrimps are very sensitive to copper.. And they prefer soft water. More info would help solve the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Garuf

4. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi,
    If you have another healthy fish (which do not make the shrimps a live meal 8)) in the aquarium you should not have problems. I presume all the water parameters are ok, correct?
    LAlmeida

5. Garuf

I don't have the instructions for my test kits anymore so I can only assume but I've been running the tank for over a month and doing frequent water changes, no parameters should be particularly "off". Tank ph is 6 and tank ph is 7.5. Tank temp 23c. These would have been the first and only live stock.

6. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi Garuf,

It seems to me that you are doing a blind flight…
    If I understood you are running this setup just for one month and you don’t know what are your water chemical values! You can do all the acclimatization you want but if you do not have the water on good conditions…

LAlmeida

7. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Why not start with cherries on the tank, and see if they survive?

I also cannot keep shrimp alive, apart from cherries, those are hard to kill. :)

Let me know if you want some to start with, they are very simple, but two or three should be enough to give the tank a go.

8. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Why not! It seems that the question is answered...all the shrimps are dead. :sad:
    LAlmeida

9. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Maybe the issue is not on the tank, but on the shrimps. :)

10. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Maybe they could not swim and drowned :D
    Just kidding
    LAlmeida

11. bgangler

bgangler New Member

IMO it is the copper that killed them! In the UK most of the water supply pipes are made of copper and because of that there is a higher concentration of it in the tap water. Bees are very sensitive to copper, as Juri said earlier!

Regards

12. Garuf

That's entirely possible? Could it be that I didn't introduce enough tank water? Maybe it was better leaving it over night or is it certainly the copper or at least with some certainty, copper?

And I got bee's because they were cheaper than cherries.

13. bgangler

bgangler New Member

I would suggest it is the copper. Where did you get the bees, so cheap?

Regards

14. Jurijs mit JS

I have used some time ago a liquid snail killer with very little coper. On the package was said it is shrimp safe - but even with half dosage I killed all shrimps in my tank. Must have been some 200-300 RCS^^ tank was looking like a shrimp-cocktail :loco:

15. Garuf

LFS. I just thought it was the going rate, plus it's very much a bread and butter shop and they said they'd not had many takers.

Is their anything I can do to test for copper?

16. Jurijs mit JS

[ame=http://www.amazon.de/JBL-25404-Kupfer-Test-Set-Wassertest/dp/B000H6SQJ4]Kupfer Test-Set Cu Wassertest: Amazon.de: Haustier[/ame]
    quick and accurate

17. Garuf

Hmmm. I'll see what I can find once I head to the lfs. If not I'll have to hobble down to the science labs and ask them. I'm not particularly big on test kits. Those I can afford anyway as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

18. Jurijs mit JS

Sometimes testing water parameters is ok, so I have the big JBL Testlab case, but don't use it very often.

19. Garuf

I've two, one mars and one jbl, I thought I'd do a head to head test on the same water and the JBL one said I had no ammonia and the mars pharmaceuticals one said the levels were as high as the kit measures I'm still at a loss as to which is more right. :)

20. Jurijs mit JS

Oh, well I never tested twice so all my testing might have been wrong - however they helped me to solve the one or another problem in the past