1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Abstract / Modern Aquascaping.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Supercoley1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

For me (and I mean in a good way) it is modern but is still NA :)

Meaning it is clearly a landscape.

Whilst still obviously being a replication of Stonehenge I feel it isn't overdone. Not a 'minute' detail copy so there is room still for some imagination :)

Is quite hard for me to apply it to what I speak of above because with it being Stonehenge it is something I see as very beautiful and know very well before I even see the scape, therefore my imagination doesn't have much room to work. Straight away it is what I know :)

However I can say it isn't what I am talking about really. Yes it is dictating to the viewer that what you see is Stonhenge however it isn't overdone to the point the fields are not like around stonhenge :) And there are no trees so to speak of nor pathways, walkways which I would also see in the real thing.

I think you've done it with a great deal of subtlety. Others would have put the paths in, put the hedgerows in and any other little pieces they saw in the photo they worked from or what they saw with their eyes :)

Either way I like it. It is something I like in real life very much. Something that is very close to the Englishman's heart :)

Andy

For others not so familiar then they have more room to interpret it differently

Sponsored link:

2. Supercoley1

And this is called Splash, spill, Pour?. Will probably be the first I do in my 23 litre :) Hard bit of rock shaping though. lol

[​IMG]

Andy

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

very creative stuff Andy. It may not be my "cup of tea", but I still admire what you are doing and look forward to seeing these projects develop.

best of luck!

We will keep you motivated, because if you don't post progress often enough we will pester you until you do :D

4. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

All this talk of modern scaping Andy! why dont you just ...do it!????

Sorry, for me, i have to go to work...to little time to do drawings of bizarre scape ideas.
    You have wayyy too much time on your hands mate....lucky you eh?

5. Supercoley1

Alas the materials cost money and a new baby at the mo. this is very much in the early planning stages but something I do plan to do. Just bouncing ideas really. Obviously not going to do all of these but can do some of them :)

Mark - I am pretty jealous. I would love to be at work and currently spend each day scouring the net. this is something to fill in the time either side of that and enjoying time with the new baby. Until I do get the job though It's a very boring life at the moment and I do need something to pass time. These are only really quick drawings. Don't take more than half an hour or so each to do.

Of course once I do get the job, I will have a little more free money and therefore can afford some materials too.

And yes some are bizarre even to me as I am drawing them. Best to draw them out. Some of them like the volcano one seemed quite cool in my head. On paper instantly it looks very poor :) In reality it would look garbage :) Maybe the others will too.

So keep your fingers crossed for me. Maybe I shall actually receive a reply from an application soon :)

Andy

6. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Why not use recycled materials? Bricks, tin, pipes, etc!

7. Supercoley1

its not the aesthetic I have in mind Luis. I want to (try to) shape granite for these. plain coloured stuff

8. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Granite would look cool and be expensive at the same time. Why not limestone?

Would look very different !

9. Supercoley1

don't particularly want to mix limestone and fish etc ;) I have tonnes of limestone I dug out of the garden already. lol

10. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

add some glo fish :)

11. Supercoley1

12. Supercoley1

This idea hasn't really progressed much at this point. I still have 3 tanks on the go and awaiting their completion.

I've also gotten a bit into breeding fish and shrimps again. I will have 9 tanks by the time I get to these projects. 6 not to scape in, they will 'hold' plants as well as one breed of shrimp being in each. Those are little 22ltr cubes.

Also of all the sketches/MS Paints above only 2 are still looking to me like they could work without looking very very silly. Those 2 being the one with the Granite Cones and the one with Granite 'sharkfins'.(pictures below)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However I have actually requested a quote this week from a Stone Mason to make those Sharkfins. We'll see how much that comes in at. If it's under £100 then I will go for it in late summer when hopefully my main tank will be available again. By that time I will probably have altered my lounge again because like my main tank I redid the lounge mid transition in my tastes, therefore it isn't where I am at now. lol.

A modern scape like the sharkfin one with hopefully look really good sat atop a gloss white cabinet with a gloss white luminaire hanging above.

The one with the cones may well happen at the same time in my 23 litre with the same proviso on cost :)

Andy

13. aquascaper2B

aquascaper2B New Member

i adore "the valley"! and the splash thing is kwl too.

the style overall - i wouldn't do it in one of my tanks, i don't want my tanks to look look that, but its intresting to watch others do it, even if its somewhat dissapointing if it doesent turn out well. the style is very "mod" and abstract, not natual at all either, but i like how you are doing this.

14. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Thinking out of the box- you might be helping kick start the modern aquascape movement. :)

[​IMG]
    Put an 'X' in there and Sony Playstation might be interested. :))

15. Supercoley1

I like the 'splash' one as well however, it is a little gimmicky and would be very hard to create as the 'HC' pouring out would need to be stone that has hollowed out sections that are connected to the 'pot' then there would need to be a base that runs backward to balance the structure or it will fall over. The whole thing would be one piece similar to an old iron. That 'pouring' section would be very very fragile and I doubt it would work.

The only other option would be a base with a steel rod/bolt fixed between the 2. Gets a bit complicated.

I don't think that too much. I bet I am not the first to think about this, far from it. I bet it has been 'tried' before and I bet many have thought about it and not gone ahead with it for fear of ridicule, however that is not a problem for me. I have thick skin and I expect many more people to hate it completely than those who accept it. Even fewer who would like it. I suspect people who are from outside the hobby would be much more open minded than those who are in the hobby

Rather than 'kick start' a style hopefully I can give people some courage to do something different (or like me do what they themselves want to do) in whatever style they want (as long as it doesn't involve sunken galleons and blue gravel. lol)

Lol. That's what I though and maybe one reason why it got crossed off thelist very quickly ;)

16. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

I think the key is having a concept and working towards it. If you made 30 tanks a year with concepts like these you would be a force to be reckoned with. Andy Warhol[can't think of someone better in my state of drowsiness on cough medication] made simple outstanding art that was pooh pooh'ed in his day and celebrated as well. Today he's in the Art History books in what seems now to be a few filter applications in photoshop.

Modern art is very wide ranging and will definitely irk purists but thought provoking. See it through.

I bet with any of your designs- if made into something large like the displays I saw in San Franccisco's MOMA it would be WOW! If you see modern building designs- they're big but key element is simplicity and thought provoking.
    Ok sorry for rambling.

17. Supercoley1

No problem rambling Stan. I think you are 100% right.

Bit hard to do the 'prolific' part in this hobby though. Prolific with a couple of tanks means 6 scapes or year when waiting for plants to behave. lol

I could use modular planting i.e. get plants growing in small trays and shape them ready to go straight into the next 'scape' etc. could do 100s that way however what I am aiming at is more a living sculpture that fits into my lounge decor.

I am very focused on things fitting in so when the wife suggests 'african' style wooden ornaments in a modern setting she gets the 'raised eyebrows' which means 'don't be silly.' lol. similarly if I am liking a traditional theme to a room then I would probably put a dutch or NA setup in there and make the light housing and cabinet fit into the 'theme'.

I think I might get 3+ of these done a year. Sculpted Granite is not cheap and plastics/coloured material I don't think works with plants at all.

We shall see. My taste may change to futuristic or to oriental at some stage of my life and the scape will have to move with that. Can never predict what I will ike at any given time.

18. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

you could try sculpting feather stone or lava with chisels or files. Wood might work as well. Here in Utah we had a master Bonsai artist named Ben Scolari (now passed away) who made magnificent towering Chinese Karsk monoliths like the mountains of Guilin. The Japanese threw dozens of awards at him. He used feather stone and a file for his 'landscape' arrangements, and "floating isle of the immortals" creations'. The same might be accomplished with this or some other lava or inert material. I am excited to see your wonderful creations and hope to view the stretching of boundries. Cubism overtook the stodgey academic art world of the gilded era; why not the same for aquariums? We simply use a different canvas, and our palate is tempramental that's all.

19. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Think mixed media.........I think this is a good idea given the mixed nature of the media we use everyday.

We also have the power of movement.

20. Supercoley1

OK madman alert. I'm back onto this theme. Optiwhite has been ordered and is replacing my main 125ltr tank. Another Optiwhite has been ordered and will eventually replace my little 23lt later in the year.

The scape I am planning to do first is in the main tank and will probs be in about 2 months time. The reason for the delay is that whilst I have already moved the old main tank out I need to do some rewiring work behind where the cabinet goes and also some redecorating in there whilst it is out. Got to find the wallpaper I want for that section yet which is annoying because I had picked a really modern geometric one (you'ld all have hated it) very seventies in style and colour but they've stopped making it in the year since I selected it. lol

Soooo this scape is the one going in the main tank. Drawing was for the smaller tank so picture the below but then extend the tank dimensions out so there is more space on left and right. Then picture that I am not using natural stone now, I will be making this structure from Apoxie Sculpt and incorporating some pleco caves within the base of them for some Zebra plecos.

[​IMG]

In the smaller tank I will be doing this one, pretty much to scale as the picture and will probably again use apoxie sculpt. This won't be done till late in the year, maybe early next year, although if I get itchy fingers or well into the main one then I may just go for it and move my old little one into a cupboard shelf somewhere ;) :

[​IMG]

Some advice for me please. I was wondering if I make the hardscape out of the apoxie sculpt which is safe for aquariums, I think it may not look that brilliant, too smooth after I've sanded the basic moulds down to the absolute shapes I want.

So I was thinking that I could use some Epoxy and sand to make them look a little less smooth and alter the colour of them as well? If so what sort of Epoxy (or other glue) would I need to use that is safe in the aquarium?