1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Rocky Garden

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Apr 24, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

Keep an eye on it as it could return.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

It seems to have all gone away now that there is no water sitting in the tank and I aired it out really well. I think I've finally learned my lesson of keeping it to damp. I didn't know just how damp to keep it and now I have a rough idea. I'm letting it air out twice a day, and I don't mist unless its dried up. The baby tears has recovered and looks bright green. Its also started to fall onto the ground from where it was sticking straight up.

The hydrocotyle looks great and the chain sword looks good, but I don't see any growth yet.

kabriolet, Zeus and lucasgg like this.
  3. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Can't wait to see the completed aquascape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kabriolet and Culprit3 like this.
  4. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Sound good

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

For the DSM this method is very good:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

kabriolet, Zeus and lucasgg like this.
  6. keithgh

kabriolet likes this.
  7. Culprit3

Thanks guys! Shadow thats a really good idea, but I don't have an air pump... Do you think its neccesary. I'm really looking for dry start/flooding stuff.

Will I need to do ferts when I flood or not with the AS?

The baby tears has melted some, but now its recovering and putting out roots. I think its either because I had it too wet the first little bit, or that it was grown in water. It may be a combination as well. The dwarf sag is turning brown like its being burnt. I don't know why. It might be, being only 6 inches from the light...

P1040746.JPG P1040747.JPG P1040748.JPG P1040750.JPG P1040752.JPG P1040753.JPG

Attached Files:

kabriolet likes this.
  8. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Quesstion: have you reinforced your elevated substrate so it doesn't slide down and flatten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The dwarf sag may not do well in a DSM. I only really recommend DSM in limited situations with a few plants. Mostly plants that carpet like HC or monte carlo. Other times you can use a DSM with carpeting plants to ensure roots settle in before flooding which can help hold the substrate after flooding. It can also cycle the aquasoil.

The method in the chart is not "necessary" but it makes it much easier to maintain air flow (many DSMs lack this) and maintain the appropriate humidity level...many DSMs are TOO wet. An air pump would be a good piece of equipment to have on hand, they can come in handy even if you do not plan to use them all the time. They are also cheap.

A comment on your DIY CO2 method. While citric acid is much more reliable than a yeast reactor, it still relies on you to turn it on and off in coordination with the lights. This can lead to instability in of itself...you may not turn it on the same time every day...lights then go on at a different time, etc. Plants learn to predict the cycle of their environment and regular timing is important. Something to consider moving forward and as you try to utilize the DIY method. Good luck getting that car! ;)

10. Culprit3

Oh I'm not doing citric acid. I thought I told you guys. I have a pressurized system. But no solenoid, so I got 3 needle valves instead. I figured out it was cheaper then the citric acid in the long run, plus it was pressurized. Its just a paintball 20 oz co2 cartridge, with an ASA on/off valve to adapt it, then on the left side is my pressure gage, and to the left my needle valve is screwed in. Then I have the other two needle valves in a row.

I might take out the dwarf sag though. Will the micro sword and hydrocotyle work though? Right now the hydrocotyle seems to be thriving while the micro sword basically looks the same. I might pick up an air pump, but right now everything seems to be working now that I figured out my moisture problems.

Lucas I put a few plastic retainers in mainly in the really steep spots like left front. Do you see the roots? That makes me happy lol.

Oh I just realized I'm going to have to turn on and off my co2 every day. That might get old as I finangle the needle valves. However, I can always just turn on and off the ASA on/off valve and leave the needle valves as they are. That would be the easiest.

kabriolet, ShadowMac and lucasgg like this.
  11. keithgh

Culprit

Over many years on Aquarium Forums many start of will DIY Co2 units or variations, most if not all eventually go to a high quality unit as that is always the best way to go.

Aquascaping is far from a cheap hobby as you are about to find out

An air pump will certainly help you plus it will always come in handy again more expense.
    Keith :cat::cat:

12. Culprit3

Oh I've certainly found out its not cheap. And I have realized you can't take the cheapest route on everthing as it often won't work. Thats one of the reasons I switched from citric acid co2 to pressurized paintball. And I realize this, but eventually, when I get older and get a steady job, I will most certainly get better and nicer equipment. But fishkeeping really isn't a priority with college and other things looming closer. So I do the best I can with the amount I allow myself, and it may not work as well, but it works for me.

ShadowMac and Zeus like this.
  13. keithgh

Culprit
    Going back a bit I think you mentioned you were only 14yld is this correct? That is good thinking for your future plans.

14. Rachel Jo

Rachel Jo Aspiring Aquascaper

An intermediate idea for Co2 as far as price is concerned, is to get a cheap solenoid/regulator from ebay and a reconditioned fire extinguisher. This is the method I use and I think the whole rig was just under £50, so far it has worked faultlessly on my old tank.

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  15. keithgh

Rachel

Very good advice. In the long term would it be cheaper and easier to set up to buy a quality solenoid/regulator?

16. Rachel Jo

Rachel Jo Aspiring Aquascaper

The only problem that Ive had is setting the flow rate Keith, as the combined needle valve isn't very accurate, but that can be got round by fitting a second needle valve inline, I just take the empty extinguisher to my local service agent and they refill it while I wait, usually charging £20, which last me about 10 months at aprox 1 bubble/seccond

keithgh likes this.
  17. Culprit3

That makes sense. Thanks Rachel! I think I may get a solenoid sometime soon if the needle valves are too big of a hassle.

Yes I'm only 14.

keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

Culprit

Its great when another member gives you very practical help.

19. keithgh

Rachel

That appears to be the common concern and it looks like you have solved that problem, well done.

20. Culprit3