1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Rocky Garden

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Apr 24, 2017.

1. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

this website has colorado sand with free shipping at 25$ https://aqualabaquaria.com/collections/all

5$ shipping on the 2kg bag

Sponsored link:

2. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

I didn't see that. $16 isn't too bad. I ordered some. Economy ground so should be here by thursday at least.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

Before you use is use a fine kitchen strainer to remove the very fines, then give it a very good wash other wise your tank might get a bit cloudy for a while.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Culprit3

Alright keith I will. And this time when I take the current sand out and put the colorado sand in I will expand it a bit, give them a bit more sand.

keithgh likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

design wise the path on the right like that is a poor choice. It looks out of place. It is best to plan an aquascape while considering your livestock at the start. IMO, sand areas in the front would look much better. You can build slope of substrate behind using some stones as substrate dam to plan the HC from the front on.

6. keithgh

Shawn

That would be the perfect choice but he has done a very good job a very young Aquascaper.
    I would say there are many adults who are well below what he has done. I will be looking forward to see how he designs his next Aquascape as he as learnt a lot with that tank.

Culprit3 and Zeus like this.
  7. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

On a limited budget too (y)

I thought he shown promise even with his early post, Nice not to be proven wrong :cool:

Keep up the great work :D

keithgh and Culprit3 like this.
  8. Culprit3

Where do you mean? Replace all the HC in the front of the island with sand?

Thank you very much. That means a lot!

Very limited budget haha. Glad I could prove you right!

I know that there are quite a few mistakes on this. Next time I will make a better hardscape, plant better, get all the little things correct. But for now, I think I want to fix the sand and then I will be happy. After I fix the sand I'm going to let the plants grow, enjoy the fish, watch it mature, and have just enjoy it. Next time I will hopefully have a better budget as by then I should have a job ( in a year or so when I can drive), and I will be doing it to compete in aquascaping competitions specifically IAPLC.

keithgh and Zeus like this.
  9. keithgh

Culprit

Remember this always
    "The person who is so careful that he never makes a mistake is unlikely to achieve anything of real value. If you don’t know how to do something, have a go, don’t be afraid of being wrong. If you are not prepared to make mistakes, you will never come up with anything original."

Set your aim high and learn as much as you can along the way.

Nigel95 and Culprit3 like this.
  10. Culprit3

I will definitely try Keith. Thanks!

I've got my ADA Colorado sand. I want some input on where to put it. I know @ShadowMac said in the front, and keith said the side.

11. keithgh

Culprit

Its come back to the same reply often given "Its your tank in your home and that makes it your decision"

All we can do is give you an answer and in forums today you will quickly find there are many answers to the same concern.

12. Culprit3

Keith

You all helped me very much with planting, hardscape, and everything else. I know with your guys help it will look better. I have the colorado sand but I don't want to go through the work of putting it back in, only to want to make it better and move it. I would appreciatiate if you guys would give me your opinions.

13. keithgh

Culprit

[​IMG]

Is this the little area you are referring to. That should be a small job syphon it out, replace it with your new substrate turn every thing back on, top up as required.

If I was doing it I should have it finished and cleaned up well under 30min.

14. Culprit3

Time for an update!
    [​IMG]

I've been trimming and replanting lots and lots. Trimmed the Dwarf baby tears back, a little brown under there but hopefully it makes it grow back thicker and prettier. I took out the PFS and replaced it with ADA colorado sand. The color matches far better now.
    [​IMG]

The limnophila aromatica has really taken off. It grows really well for me. I have a little forest now where I've been trimming and replanting!
    [​IMG]

For some reason, these AR mini's don't like it in this spot. They were growing really well then completely melted away. I'm leaving them hoping they grow back. The odd thing is, the other spot I planted it its thriving and I've trimmed it 3 times there.
    [​IMG]

Here's the spot they do like
    [​IMG]

I've just recently had an outbreak of BBA. I don't know why, possibly the fluctuating CO2 levels. I really need to invest in a CO2 regulator and solenoid so it controls the output better. The bacopa sometimes grows well and sometimes doesn't, its a little iffy. On the whole its growing well though. I'm just not ready to trim it down and make it bushy, not sure its fully acclimated yet. The bacopa red and bacopa giant I've been trimming and propogating though. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The corys think they can hide back there lol
    [​IMG]

Surprisingly they aren't really using the sand. Now I wish I hadn't put it in. But I can't put it back without them tearing it up before its rooted. So I would have to do another dry start. Which I'm not going to do. Ughhhhh.

I got around 15 bloody mary cherry shrimp, and I put them in my shrimp tank. Hopefully I get some shrimp babies that I can put in this tank for a cuc. I'm going to check my petco for amano shrimp, as the ones at my LFS are $7 apiece. That's really expensive for a shrimp when I want at least 5.... My petco has them for 2.79 apeice, just gotta get them in stock. As soon as I can go to the pet store I'm going to get 3 otos next. After the otos I'll finish out with my green neons.

15. keithgh

Culprit
    Another point you have learnt. Let the plants grow over it slowly.

Before you buy them ask members what are the better units to buy.

Keith :cat::cat:

16. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

is the Colorado sand that much darker than the PFS in person?

17. Culprit3

Yes. Its also a bigger grain, and has more variability. I think it looks a lot better then the uniformly white all the same size pool filter sand.

keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

Culprit

I would even say now its still too light as it does not blend into your darker coloured rocks.

19. Culprit3

I'm going to let the dwarf baby tears grow over it. My bacopa compact is finally starting to take off now the corys aren't constantly digging it up. I decided to let the limnophila aromatica take over that left side of the little rock, and have the bacopa compact on the other side of it. Then the giant bacopa and bacop red beside the bacopa compact. All the hydrocytle parts of it will eventually be replaced with the AR mini as it grows, and I think I'm going to remove it from around the dwarf sag there in the front to let it grow.

20. keithgh

Culprit

When its all finished it should look a lot better.