1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Rocky Garden

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

6 hours. I lowered it when I flooded. I can lower the actual light intensity if that would help though. Its about 5 feet away from a west facing window. The back of the tank is frosted, and there are woods behind it. It gets hit some in the morning, but not much at all. Should I put a peice of cardboard on the back to block all extra light? I can cycle the tank whenever I want... I have a ton of extra biomedia. But I don't want to put it in because it will just die off without an ammonia source. I was going to wait and just put it in when I put the fish in. I will order some spectracide stump remover aka KNO3.

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

It would do no harm (y)

or rise the light or both!, Its early days after flooding so finding the settings for the light is trail and error, Plants can survive for long time without light algae cant as it has limited stores so reducing the energy/photons it gets slow it down fast, hence the 3-4 day blackout works so well, not saying to do a blackout OFC

During my DSM I did 12hr photo period with kessils on FULL as close to glass cover as possible , know I'm on six hrs photoperiod and kessils on 20% about 6inches above glass.

whats you light intensity at? I would cut it in half

3. Culprit3

I have the finnex planted plus 24/7 at max setting. I can reduce that to whatever needs to. I'll lower it to 80% for now, does that sound good? I would have a hard time raising the light but can easily adjust intensity. I'll order some KNO3 and add it in.

I just realized I can just keep the curtains closed during the morning. So I'll just do that. I've realized that about blackouts killing algea fast. My shrimp tank tends to break out with hair algea so I will just leave the lights off for a day, and the next day its gone.

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

I would listen to members of this Forum first not "Some people" or what Dr Google is saying, unless its from a very reliable source, also sorry to say many of the LFS's today are only interested in your money and often staffed by inexperienced people.

How much is not much? Is it direct or coming through a curtain?
    Paper and water do not mix. I would cover the back with a Vinyl sheeting as used for school book covers it goes on easy and comes of easy.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. Culprit3

It is from a source I trust very highly. I've never gotten bad information from them only ever good.

I open the curtains in the morning when I wake up. So its a few rays that make it through the trees. I wouldn't put it in the tank! Just on the outside. But I've decided for now just to keep the curtains closed in the morning.

6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Yes its one of the causes, I would of added NO3 from the start as with the high frequency of WC you do at the start there should be no issue with the NO3 getting to high.

it doesnt take much esp if its not cloudly

7. keithgh

Culprit

It certainly goes on the outside.

Blinds or tinted windows are possibly the best to stop the sunlight but in your case I would use the Vinyl. Two of my tanks are only 50cm from a window with drapes and light curtain both had Vinyl backing.

8. Culprit3

Mixed up a full macro EI solution yesterday. Dosing it at 1/3 EI. Still small amounts of cyano but nothing much. Dwarf baby tear carpet is growing in fast, and bright green. Not sure when I should trim it as its pretty long in the front.

Here's the main question. How do you think it would look if I put some sand in a corner for my catfish? Either the left corner or the right. I think the right looks better because it is partially sheilded from view by the rock so they would get more of a corner and more out of view.
    P1050122[2667].jpg

9. keithgh

Culprit
    To be perfectly honest neither. Its not a competition its for your pleasure only. You are making an area for a special fish then hiding it plus it could be rather difficult to clean particularly the back RH corner.

Why not place it where you can see your Catfish and easy to clean yet still look very natural?

I would hunt until you get a sand exactly the same colour as your rocks plus one rock you can smash up.

I would place it at the RH end then scatter a few of smashed rocks over the area. Leave a few plants up against the rocks and if you like a few a small areas for the plants there now. That means only remove the plants where the sand is going.

Over all it will give it a complete natural look that is easy to clean plus most important you can see your Catfish eating.

10. Culprit3

How big of an area? So fade the Dwarf Baby Tears into the sand and scatter the crushed up rocks over it? I'm just worried the corys will tear up the dwarf baby tears hunting for food if I don't give them sand. I wanted to give them back to the lfs for store credit but they only are offering 60 cents when I bought them for $3 each.

11. keithgh

Culprit
    This is a rough idea.
    [​IMG]
    Once the plants are established they should not be able to dig them out like some varieties of fish.

12. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Your lucky the LFS offered to take them back at all. One of my LFS you couldn't pay them to take the fish. But good supplier of quality fish.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh likes this.
  13. keithgh

Zeus

That is perfectly correct how can the returner guarantee they are now disease free.

14. Culprit3

I have some play sand that is a nice brown color. It's probably the closest I'm going to get. So I will drain the tank, pull out the AS and dwarf baby tears but leave a nice fringe of dwarf baby tears, put in under substrate retaining walls, put rinsed sand in, overlap some of the dwarf baby tears into the sand to merge the AS and the sand, plant a few clumps of dwarf baby tears, and scatter crushed up rocks around it, with more near the rocks and less on the outsides. With the EI dosing I the dwarf baby tears should grow in the sand.

Sound good?

15. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

ADA colorado sand is also a nice color and a little larger grain

16. Culprit3

I think I'll stick with pool filter sand because that's what I have. Should I drain the tank or just take it to 50%?

When can I start raising lighting hours? Can I start upping in 30 minute increments every week?

17. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

I would take it slower say monthly

18. Culprit3

30 minutes every month? What should my lighting top off at hour wise? 10 hours? 8?

I did it. I feel like I should have continued the sand a little more to the right but I think they'll be happy. You can barely see it looking in at the tank from eye level. When the dwarf baby tears grow in and merge the AS and sand I think it will look better too. I think I'll add in the fish either tonight or tomorrow. I'll just take all the cycled media from the QT they're in and stick it in my canister. What do you guys think of the rock clusters? Eventually the Dwarf baby tears will fill in all the cracks and overgrow them a bit.

P1050191.JPG P1050189.JPG P1050192.JPG

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Nigel95 likes this.
  19. keithgh

Culprit

All OK except the sand feature the colour is wrong it just does not look natural or blend in.

You have spent a lot of money getting every thing right and the finishing touches you have done it on the very cheap and to be perfectly honest spoilt your nice looking Aquascape.

Let me explain it in a different way as soon as I saw your tank my eye went straight to the RH end to see what and why it was there in other words very distracting.

Think about the ADA Colorado Sand because its slightly bigger grain it should not compress and be more suitable for the plants.

[​IMG]
    Keith :cat::cat:

20. Culprit3

Its not "cheap". Its about $12 for the sand, then $25 shipping! Everywhere I look! Thats almost as much as I spent for 9 liters of ADA Amazonia!

I'm trying to find other options. Does this look OK? https://www.reverseosmosis.com/grav...D7zPdXm6tCaFfJOL9RSX7PFTvgqjS1WUaAq54EALw_wcB

Eventually the sand will brown with diatoms/algea. I have two types of sand. A brown sand and the pool filter sand. I can mix the two and its a lot more brown. Not as brown as the colorado but it looks a lot the same color.
    P1050199.JPG