1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Rocky Garden

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

I was thinking something like a cockatoo cichlid might make the schooling fish school better because its slightly aggressive. I guess I will wait and see until I get my schooling fish in.

Sponsored link:

2. Culprit3

Its flooded! I got extra plants from the people I bought them from since I know them.

The plants I bought and extras are:
    Bacopa Compact
    AR mini
    bacopa red
    lymphonia aromatica
    giant hairgrass instead of americana asiatica americana. I thought the finer strands would look better and its a better match for my tank.

and one other that is unidentified. Everything is pearling, filter is working to perfection, CO2 is about 95% diffusion rate at about 5 or 6 bps... its going way to fast for me to count. I will be starting my dosing regimen monday, or should I wait a week for any excess nutrients to disperse? If I wait I will be doing 25% water changes every other day. I can't really tell how much CO2 is in my water, but I think I have enough. Tomorrow will be a good day to make sure everything is working. My light is on for 6 hours a day from 2:30 to 8:30. After a week or two I will be increasing it slowly. I have very good circular flow and good surface agitation.
    P1050122.JPG P1050129.JPG P1050123.JPG P1050126.JPG P1050128.JPG

kabriolet and Zeus like this.
  3. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Looking good! Hope everything stabilizes nicely for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Culprit3 likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

I would do a lot of research first especially its behaviour, M or FM and its preferred water conditions.

If you start too early you could easily have a tank full of Algae. 25% alternate days is not much at all. Can you check all your water parameters?

You are very close to finishing from this point onwards double check every thing before you do any thing.

Your tank looks very good at the moment keep it that way.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Can't have too much CO2 ATM.
    Think CO2 is free then use it to its full potential.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

keithgh likes this.
  6. Culprit3

So you think I should wait at least a week to let the plants acclimate so they can start using the ferts? I can up the water changes to 50% a day, 50% every other day, 25% every day, ect. Whatever is needed.

Thanks lucas! Me too :)!

I don't think my drop checker is working. I turned CO2 off last night when lights turned off and airstone turned on automatically. The drop checker was green when I put it in. Its still the exact same color.... Mabye I need to recheck my 4dkh solution. I wish I knew how much CO2 is in the water. I think the inline atomizer has about 90% to 100% diffusion. I don't see any micro bubbles. I have it blasting when its on.

7. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

No bubbles :eek: there should be bubbles - you got a pic of it when CO2 is on?

keithgh likes this.
  8. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

When you do WCs lots of gas comes out of water on plants that look like pearling, the day after WC is a better indicator of pearling. But Pearling is only one sign healthy happy plants and not always present even when plants are happy

keithgh likes this.
  9. Culprit3

Nevermind, I actually wasn't injecting any CO2 at all. My bubble counter was broken!!! ERRRRRR. The barb was half broken so the CO2 was just leaking out. Now I don't have a bubble counter, but I left the needle valve at the same place so I knew my bps was the same and just ran the hose straight to the tank. I can actually hear it being injected, it makes a slight hissing noise. There's now I nice cloud of micro bubbles in the tank, kind of looks like its snowing.
    P1050139.JPG

Plants are all pearling very well, except for the AR mini. I've been doing a bit of research and have found two heavily conflicting points on how soon to start fertilizing. Some people say that "having a nutrient rich substrate such as ada aquasoil means that there are plently of extra nutrients and the first few weeks to a month are spent just doing 2 or 3 water changes a week to dilute the excess nutrients". The other group, such as Tom Barr, say that you should start dosing from the start. Number 1 doesn't make much sense when compared to the Tom Barr EI method of always having excess nutrients. Tom Barr himselft says this on the subject:
    So I believe what I should do is start dosing K and BSM+B at 1/2 EI but do x2 50% water changes a week. Does this sound like a good idea?
    P1050136.JPG

John Whatmough likes this.
  10. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Well EI is about having more nutrients than the plants need at non toxic levels. The WC is about removing organic waste mainly and preventing the build up of any potential toxins. So basically resetting the water peramiters. So I would dose at least 50% EI but also a few BIG WCs in first few days to remove any build up of toxins in AS during the DSM. After all the hard work it makes sense and do no harm.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

11. Culprit3

So for the first few days I will be dosing 50% EI of K and BSM+B but doing 50% water changes every day.

12. keithgh

Culprit

It looks like you will have to replace some of your equipment all ready if this must be done go for quality not cost.

Other than that Zeus is certainly giving you some excellent advice to follow.

13. John Whatmough

John Whatmough New Member

You cannot really say anything about Amano approach but it's important to have ADA substrate , Tom Barr method would cover all bases (sorry) and in a substrate lacking nutrients

Zeus likes this.
  14. Culprit3

Keith

I ordered a new bubble counter it will be here monday.

John

I didn't think about that... Tom Barr approach is for if you had a substrate like flourite or calcined clay.

15. Culprit3

So a patch of the dwarf baby tears is slightly turning brown, mabye a 2 inch by 2 inch patch, and I have a small piece of cyano bacteria. As soon as my photoperiod is over and I won't be reducing a bunch of CO2 while the plants are photosynthesizing I'm going to do a 50% water change and brush the cyano off.

16. keithgh

Culprit

For your first big water change only I would suggest a 75%, then start your 50%

Zeus likes this.
  17. Culprit3

Time for an update! The pearling is beautiful every time I see it, and I've already had crazy growth for plants that are still acclimating! I can tell a difference in the emersed and immersed leaves of the dwarf baby tears, the new acclimated growth is a much lighter green. The AR mini has put out lots of new sprouts where it was cut, and the red bacopa has a whole new stem that sprouted at the base at about 2 inches long already! The limnophila aromatica has recovered quite quickly and now has new growth on top. THe dwarf baby tears is melting a bit in some places but still looks healthy and has new growth even where its melting. CO2 is still blasting. When can I start easing it down?

I am getting some green cyano for a reason I have no idea... I scrub it off every day when I do my water change but I don't know what's causing it...
    P1050142.JPG P1050152.JPG P1050153.JPG P1050156.JPG P1050158.JPG

18. keithgh

19. Culprit3

Some people have been telling me that its caused by low nitrates. Does that mean I should add KNO3 into my dosing regimen at 1/3 EI? Thank you for that information

20. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Lots of folk tell me about Father Christmas............... In every differential diagnosis for a human complaint/problem Cancer is on the list but it is rarely the problem.

So low nitrates it may be but I doubt it as you have new AS but adding some KNO3 into the mix will do no harm so yes I would. But I would of put new cycling higher on the possible cause list just below too Much light, others on the list are unlikely as newly flooded tank. Your plants are pearling which is great as it indicates they are getting plenty of light plus new signs of grown great. So dial the light back a bit. Also does your tank get any natural light on it? Mine do and I got Blue-green-algae at the carpet AS level. So upped tank maintenance, removed it where possible and blocked out natural light.
    upload_2017-9-29_14-16-32.png upload_2017-9-29_14-16-50.png
    Months later its nearly gone without antibiotics. Didnt change the photoperiod or intensity as it was very localised as if the early morning sun was getting the tank.
    Increasing the [CO2] may also help

Whats your photo period ATM

keithgh likes this.