1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Rocky Garden

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Culprit3, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

That CO2 thing does not look like it has a pressure regulator on it. Looks like a needle or metering valve connected directly to the cylinder. A pressure regulator would have a pressure gauge for working pressure and cylinder pressure or just working pressure, in addition it will have a knob to adjust the working pressure. Could be what they call a flow regulator as well. You may be able to find an inline solenoid to add to the system. It'll have to be a DIY fix.

As far as ferts, yes you can do the step system and work in the nitrate later. Seems I already answered the question somewhere before.

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

No regulator. Its a needle valve connected to the on off valve. I don't beleive I ever said it was a regulator.

So my steps and amounts looked good?

What is the optimal temperature for plants? I think I might be changing my stocking to better match my tank. I think german blue rams may need to high of a temperature, plus having no sand would not agree with them. Right now I have 8 bronze corydoras which I'm keeping, and the rest of the planned stocking was 15 ember tetras and 1 GBR. However, I'm now reconsidering with A) the temperature and B) no sand. However, I think I may eventually put in some sand in a corner for the corydoras. In fact, would that look OK? If I put it back in the left corner, and just replaced part of the AS there with sand? What would some other good stocking options be?

I just wathced a bunch of dennis wongs videos, including the one on gaseous exchange. WOW! That made so much sense. My surface skimmer is perfect evidently. I'm now confused about my canister filter inflow and outlfow placement. He had both on one side. Right now I have my output on the left and skimmer on the right. I'm thinking now I should put my outflow on the right, so its blowing across the glass, and the skimmer on the back right, so it makes a good circle. This is the outlfow I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012B7FVUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . What angle up/down should it be and how close to the surface? I know you're supposed to have a good surface ripple, so I guess about 1 inch below the surface with a slight angle downwards?

For my lid. From what he said, having a lid can lead to CO2 quickly building up to a deadly level because it is trapped under the lid. As of now, I have the aqueon versa top for it, but now I'm not sure wether it's a good idea or not. What do you guys think?

3. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Using Ascorbic Acid E300 and Potassium Sorbate E202 here adding it to the Macro solution to help control Mould growing in the fert solution. You adding it to the Microd too?

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  4. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Thats a lot of pressure the needle valve is having to cope with direct from the cylinder, will make adjustments difficult IMO, which in turn may lead to fluctuating CO2 levels which may lead to more problems

keithgh likes this.
  5. Culprit3

I know, but it takes a good 1/4 turn to up the bubbles from 1 bps to 2 bps. And I will be getting a regulator solenoid off of ebay when I have enough saved up for it.

Zeus where are your inflow/outflow positioned?

6. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Inlets - two wall side left on pic

Returns - one horizontal wall side, other free end with water pointing towards end of tank (not as in pic below)

upload_2017-9-19_20-9-10.png

Nigel95 and keithgh like this.
  7. ShadowMac

Yeah, I add it to both. The micro is more prone to growth, IME.

Zeus likes this.
  8. ShadowMac

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/whaddaya-mean-too-hot/

Plants do fine in cooler water. Most tanks do not require a heater if inside a home kept within normal living temperatures. Seasonal fluctuations 68f-78f are just fine for most anything we keep in our tanks.

With the skimmer you will not need as much of a ripple in a smaller tank. You have to think about the proportion of water being exposed to air and the total volume of the tank. A skimmer alone on a tank like Zeus's will not move enough water so good ripple is needed. A small tank like my 45 cm doesn't need much of a ripple because the ratio of water moved through the skimmer to total volume is larger.

I don't have time to check math. You need to try and utilize other resources. www.rotalabutterfly.com

9. ShadowMac

Dennis Wong uses a skimmer inlet, so it is not an individual device like the eheim or azoo skimmers. that is why it is near his outlet. The idea is to get each flow component working together and not against each other to achieve a bit of a gyre action.

10. Zeus

Zeus Active Aquascaper

Suppose it cant do any harm to the Micros so therefore good idea (y)

11. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Culprit

You are certainly going into the deep end very fast, after all that excellent advice from Shawn and Zeus you should be on track just double check every thing first. It does not look like there is any room for errors, minor adjustments might have to be done, every thing depends on you measuring every thing perfect and double checking every thing as you go.

Keith:cat::cat:

12. Culprit3

Thank you. For some reason no matter how much research I do I can't find stuff like that. I will check my math. I will probably keep a heater in set to 73.

Yes I am Keith. I'm trying to make sure everything is perfect.

A few things I've decided/found out:
    1. I will not have a lid. I will just top off every other day or so.
    2. My heater will be set to 73.
    3. I will be moving my canister filter output to the front right side of tank so it's blowing across the tank glass.
    4. Corrected dosing amounts:
    First two months: K - 63.27 grams or 3 tbsp + 0 tsp + 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp of K2SO4 into 250 mL of water. CSM+B: 9 grams or 2 tsp of CSM+B into 250 mL of water. Dose 5 mL of each every other day.

Third month onward: Add N and P at 1/3 EI, reduce K and CSM+B to 1/3 EI: N - 30 grams or 4 tsp + 1/4 tsp into 500 mL of water. P - 6 grams or 1 tsp into 500 mL of water. K - 42 grams or 2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp. CSM+B - 5.6 grams or 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp.

13. Culprit3

What are some of the standby schooling fish for aquascapers? I can think of two, Ember Tetras, and Neon Tetras. Are there any others?

14. ShadowMac

my favorites as of recently are green neon tetras. P. simulans. They school much nicer than many other fish. It is important to consider the difference between schooling fish and shoaling fish. You will also need a minimum number to get schooling behavior.

15. keithgh

16. Culprit3

I'm planning on at least 10+ schooling fish. Definitely schooling not shoaling. I thought about rummynose as I used to have them and they schooled really really well but I'm not sure they would be bright enough. I know neon tetras tend to not school but really loosely shoal so that's sort of steering me away from them. If I went with the green neon tetras I would just get cardinal tetras.

I feel like right now I have three main schoolers.
    1. Ember Tetras
    - Temp: 68-82
    2. Green neon tetra
    - Temp: 69-95
    3. Cardinal tetras
    - Temp: 73-84

Another option would be chili rasbora e.g. boraras brigittae.
    I'm not sure which one. I feel like the neon tetras will give a very nice bright splash of color, but that the small, but not as bright ember tetras will have a bigger school and give a better sense of scale.

For my centerpeice it will be a gourami or possibly a dwarf cichlid.

17. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Chili rasboras are amazing fish but are by no means directional schoolers. They also get pricy if you have to order them online from Rachel O'leary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Culprit3

So a no on the chili rasboras.

When my LFS opens i'll call them and get prices on green neons and embers. If green neons are like $3 apeice that gets pricey really fast for 10-15 fish.

I think my main two I've decided on are green neons or embers. Not cardinals because they get too big. Green neons are a tiny bit bigger then the embers, but they are brighter and will probably school better.

keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  19. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Glad i could help a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. keithgh

culprit

What ever you choose stick to it and push the capacity to the limit but not all at once.

The odd fish will look like that odd and out of place, and could easily disrupt your schooling fish.

Keith:cat::cat: