1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Reefers Journey into Planted...

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by CalmSeasQuest, Jun 23, 2012.

1. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

this one imo, is your best hardscape design. though I notice that the slope seems a bit bare in the left side, middle area, between the two stones. then going towards the right, middle tank area, the tip seems a bit too steep. I still really like the scape though

Sponsored link:

2. CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest Aspiring Aquascaper

For the record, I really like what this has evolved into - although I can't take much credit for it. It's more a product of the many suggestion and comments that everyone has taken the time to provide - Thank You!
    • I shifted the left grouping to the right so the oyaishi sits precisely 12" from the left wall of the tank (1/3 of the tank length.)
    • I tightened the intra-stone spacing in the the groups
    • Although it shows poorly in the photographs, I created a ridge that runs the length of the tank, and gently arcs from the front-left corner to the right rear corner. I think this provides a "connection" between the groupings despite their distance.
    • Strangely enough, the most challenging stone to place was the small "bump" stone that sits by itself. I must have moved, rotated and tried removing that stone a thousand time. Without it - the separation of the groups seemed to "contrived". I'm curious to see everyone's opinion.
    Sorry for all the reflections - I was short on time this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alex08 likes this.
  3. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

I really like this one. I agree with that center stone. you may have moved it a thousand times, but I do agree, I feel that it does join the two groupings. How did you select your stones btw for such a tank? Because im looking for this stone or dragon stone to scape in my 55 gallon, (standard dimensions) but how would one go best to select the stones?

4. Mohamed Faizal

Mohamed Faizal New Member

I am sorry but I just came across your journal. An amazing attempt for a first try,..I must say. :) I can't help but to notice but that picture of your PAR meter has its setting on "SUN" mode . Aren't we supposed to take readings with the setting under "ELECTRIC" mode? I am sorry but i just noticed that,...so was kind of wondering if it was the right thing to do?:unsure:

5. CalmSeasQuest

Thanks much CFS - I'm really pleased with the result. The Ryuoh stones were purchased through ADG. They were a bit pricey - but I figure they will last for quite a while :)

Thank you Mohamed,

I use the "Sun" setting based on a study published in Advanced Aquarist in 2005 (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/7/review/view?searchterm=None) In essence, the Apogee was determined to be most accurate set to "Sun" when measuring light sources >6,500K I'm using ~8,000K emitters which are measured very accurately by the MQ-200

6. Trieu

Trieu New Member

[​IMG]i like this view

alex08 likes this.
  7. Eboeagles

Eboeagles Aspiring Aquascaper

Just seen this and I love the tank dimensions. I've been wanting something similar for a while.

Loving your last two rock positions too - I think your nearly there.

One to follow for sure

8. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

The hardscape Tom suggested is awesome!

I would go with that one :)

9. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

How is it all coming together? Is it wet yet?

10. Pascal Wolterman

Pascal Wolterman New Member

One year later... he decided to keep mice instead... ;)

nick.scott likes this.
  11. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi There, What ever float's your boat ?:( Shame looked like it could have been a wicked SCAPE ;) How are the mice :) Any baby ones :D(y) cheers roy

Ohly and nick.scott like this.
  12. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

That seemed to be quite a nice project.. hope he will finally recover his password to. Continu his journal !

13. CalmSeasQuest

Not much to update on this build, I've been largely tied up with work and family. I have all the equipment on hand - I just haven't had time to move it forward. I really love the look of the tank (even dry.) It's now located in the foyer of my home and I smile every time I walk by it.

[​IMG]

I'm currently working on an 8', 270 gallon reef build. Once it's up and running, I think I'll revisit my little Iwagumi tank.

alex08, keithgh, ShadowMac and 2 others like this.
  14. greenfinger 2

Hi CalmSeaQuest, I would smile Too :rolleyes: Hope all go's well with your reef build;) There is a saltwater Aquascape forum on ASW now:D Maybe you could post some photos of your Reef build on that part of the forum (y) Looking forward to seeing your Aquascape come to life :whistle::whistle::D

15. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

WOW an 8ft Reef tank that is going to be one very big project.

I hope you start a Journal so we all can see how the tank is progressing and finally develops into a beautiful marine tank.

Keith:):)

16. CalmSeasQuest

Thank you all, What I've learned through my (limited) planted adventure has taught my much about scape design which I hope to use in this ongoing large reef build. This tank is a huge endeavor (at least for me) that includes a 400 gallon artificial salt water station (ASW) , auto top off and continuous water change. I have a build thread in a saltwater forum, and would be happy to create one here in the ASW section if there was interest.

Thank You to all that provided advice and guidance as I tried to learn "hardscaping." :)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  17. greenfinger 2

Hi CalmSeaQuest, Interested you bet :cool: Looking forward to seeing your journal (y)(y)

keithgh likes this.
  18. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I hope you do create a thread in the Saltwater section for all of us to learn from. There is enormous potential for aquascaping reefs, however it seems the salt hobby has focused on collecting specimens and not necessarily the aesthetics of the finished scape. We could certainly learn from your experience with saltwater and I personally would love to follow the development of that project.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  19. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

CalmSeasQuest

SW Scaping is totally different in my opinion it not only has to be pleasant to look at but very practical in the layout to allow full water movement and allow the tank to develop.
    Before you start make sure you do plenty of research on the inhabitants and don't get caught up in all the latest expensive unnecessary "Whiz Bangs"

Keith:):)

20. CalmSeasQuest

Thank all, I'll create a thread in the saltwater section when I have a moment. As for Saltwater research - I've been building and maintaining reef tanks for more then 25 years, including a fair amount of "Whiz Bang" :)

keithgh, ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.