1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A new start

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Linds, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi all,

I have moved. So I am going to start a new scape. I bought a new tank today. Same size as my old 20L but much prettier.

I did a rough sketch of what I wanted, I won't show you because it requires imagination. I have it in my head so it doesn't matter anyway.

I have some amazing rocks I brought with me and I have been arranging them this afternoon.

I want to go for a cave look. 1/3 in from the left. I want to have it planted to the very top on the RHS behind/on top of the rocks. I had hoped to have a branch coming through the plants and resting on top with branches ending above the cave to shade it a little with some moss or similar. But I'll see how I go and if I find something I like and get it to work. I'm imagining teh vanishing point being the cave and so I wan to plant with that in mind.

I have taken a couple of pics. The top of the pointy rock is 2/3 the height of the tank. I may raise some of the rocks so I can slope the substrate a little more.

20130603_175122.jpg 20130603_175443.jpg

Already I can see the white rock needs to go. It isn't that different in person but too focus pulling. I like the second pic that doesn't have the left front rock, I think it leads the eye to the 'cave' more without it.

The height of the pointy rock is better in the second pic but it meshes better with the other rocks in the first. But I wonder if I just flatten the top off and use plants like in my original plan? I had originally had a large rock coming from the RHS back corner and sloping down to just in front of the white one then a path from the cave around in front of it and off to the right front.

I'm a little concerned there is too much hard scape. It takes up half the tank.

20130603_175546.jpg

Comments much appreciated.

This will be set up withe the same filter, lights, CO2 as my old 20L tank (linked in my signature). I will be finding a new diffuser though and using a clay based substrate maybe even Amazonia.

Linds

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Linds, Well what a start love the rocks :cool: You were right that little white one did not belong ;) Looking forward to following this journal love your ideas;)(y)Cheers roy

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Lindsay

As per usual a fantastic rock selection except that white one.

Red Dots approximate Focal points LH perfect

1 Original Sight Flow too high LH end

2 Recommended Sight Flow
    Now creates a few concerns
    Can that rock be turned 180 so the lowest point is on the Left?

4 Can it be buried to XXXX ?

3 That rock is too upright compared to the other rocks can it be pushed a whisker to the Left

Now comes the crunch Continue or Start again?

Personally I would step back and think its only a few tweaks here and there nothing to lose its worth the try and I am positive you will see the difference immediately.

That LH rock reminds of the massive rocks used at the Garden Show in the UK the Aussies made a mock up and one particular rock was not right so they just cut some off.

Keith:):)

4. Linds

Thanks a lot Keith.

I did some thinking and came up with what I think is better. Then I got soil and couldn't reproduce it. Well... I had to change where the high rock was because it was too central. then there was a gap and that made everything else not work.

20130605_115430.jpg

So then I have been through another couple of variations and...

20130605_182110.jpg

This is what I have now. I think the LHS may need to be lower. OR can I go higher with the RHS?

Linds

Attached Files:

kinyko likes this.
  5. keithgh

Lindsay

Its a non contest the first one, both hands down all the others look flat and totally uninteresting.

The only change I would make would be take out that small front rock RH side.

Just print that photo out and work from that.

Add more soil or pack it underneath all finished under an hour.

I have seen the very fine detailed work you can do and this is just a few rocks and a substrate addition.

6. Linds

Yeah. I thought so. I don't know why I ever worried about the peak being central.

Oh well. to work.

I'll post the result later.

Linds

7. Linds

Ok here we are. Back similar to the good scape. I couldn't get it the same but I'm close to happy with it.

20130605_211548.jpg

keithgh and kinyko like this.
  8. keithgh

[​IMG]

Lindsay

Fantastic we both have the same eye for balance and shape

Two little tweaks

1. rock back RH corner just a bit too upright can you give it a push down and across 10-15mm or ????mm

2. X can you either or both push back small rock a whisker and the big rock down a whisker so they are just touching making it more natural.

Black back ground FANTASTIC it will highlight every thing.

One suggestion can you pant/cover those tubes supporting the light with black ????

9. Linds

HAHAHAHAHAH! I just did that this morning.

Ok.

I put the black when I had the other scape in mind, but I agree it looks good at the moment. Lets see when it's planted.

The light stand is just what I put together. I want to build a cabinet. But I don't know when that will happen. I can make them black though. OMG Fashion school is expensive, or should I say art supplies. I thought this hobby was.

I start design class tomorrow. :)

Linds[/quote]

10. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

I would likely go much higher on the RHS. A bit farther towards the corn, build that side up higher with the soilo or place rock or some support to raise it up. This would give an interesting look.
    But plants can offer a similar trimmed look as well.

So you have options there also.

11. Linds

I probably have a larger rock I could put there.

I kinda intended to fill that corner with plants, but I haven't decided on them yet.

Linds

12. keithgh

Lindsay

Let the plants do their work and then and only then if it does not work its easy to change a rock.

My objection to any "Big Rock" it could easily become a rock tank instead of an Aquascaped rock and planted tank.

13. Linds

Fair enough. So I flooded it and am doing a full water change every 2nd day to reduce the ammonia before I put my cycled filter on and hopefully start planting if I can afford it. I want to get lots of plants this time so from word go it is fairly dense.

Now what to plant is the thing. I have some plants but not that many. I don't know if I want to go with dwarf HG. I like the idea of very small leaves. I already have Rotala mexicana which I love. it is growing slowly in my gravel so in the soil it should thrive. I am thinking of the native plant I have bit it may not have small enough leaves for the scale I want. I have some mosses growing well. I also have another grassy style native plant with tubular leaves but they are about 5in each leaf.

Linds

14. keithgh

Lindsay

Once you have removed most if not all of the Ammonia you can give the filter a kick start with Stability or Sera Nitrivec its stronger than the Stability then once fully cycled and you have used it all switch to Stability.

15. Linds

The filter is already cycled, it has been on my tanks for 2 months cycled. I'm feeding it ammonia not that there are no fish. Shouldn't need anything, but I'll keep an eye on it.

16. keithgh

Lindsay

I thought as much just checking.

17. Linds

Hello everyone,

Haven't been on here for a while. Yesterday I finally got around to planting this tank. I have been growing plants in my old gravel only tank It is going off. I had i bit of an algae problem at one stage when there was light getting in from a window when the CO2 was off and I got rid if it with peroxide. Worked really well but killed off most of my val too. So I have been growing plants of all sorts. I've grown a stem plant from my sisters tank and it just grows so fast I am ready to sell a whole lot and I'll still have coming on to trim in her tank :). Best part is there is no algae (much).

20130804_144023.jpg

So this tank has been sitting in my room full of water for more than a month. So I drained it, planted it and filled it up. Put the filter etc in. I'm happy, can't wait for it to grow.

20130804_151500.jpg 20130804_154309.jpg 20130804_155834.jpg
    I have a question though. I have for the last couple of weeks been dosing the full week's fertiliser on the day after my WC. Is there any drawback to doing this that anyone knows of? It saves me forgetting on some weekdays. The plants don't seem to mind.

Linds

Attached Files:

keithgh likes this.
  18. keithgh

Lindsay

Sounds like you have been very busy then, I also assume you have been to Adrian's new shop.

Are they the local (home) rocks as each and every one has its own character?

Fertilising, I was told too many years ago feed the plants a little every day.

That way the plants get what they require and there is never any wastage.

I also believe with the Liquid Ferts the plants are Foliar fed (info from Seachem).

I was being lazy for a while and use the liquid Fert on WC days only then my Anubias started to melt and it took me ages to work out why.

I went back to every morning at feeding time and the Anubias recovered slowly.

Put it this way would you eat a weeks food in one sitting?

19. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

HI Linds, Looking good love the rocks ;) As Keith said full of character :) Hope all go's well :D

20. Linds

I went there on Saturday, there were too many people there so I just had a look and left. However I went and picked up a couple of ex display lights from his old shop yesterday for when I set up my larger tank.

Yes local. They are also available at Adrian's shop. Though he doesn't have many left. I need to go home again and get some.

Yes, that's what most people seem to do. But I don't know why. There could eb a reason, I just haven't found it. But I did read 'Weekly EI' in a fert calculator so someone must use the same technique. I'm going to look into it more.

From what I read it depends on the plant. With a clay based substrate there is an exchange of ions that are absorbed by the plant's roots.

Oh, that sounds bad. I have been looking after my brother-in-law's tank while he is OS. He has lots of anubias, they were growing lots of ark green (not stringy) algae on them. I moved in just as it got colder this winter I noticed his Angelfish were nowhere near as active as they should be, they'd hardly eat. Eventually some started to swim vertically and look quite bad. Turns out the heater had stopped working and the cold was killing them. I lost 3 of 7 by the time I could replace it. They were beautiful. Maybe even wild caught?? But anyway now all the fish are much more active and the snails are breeding and eating the algae. The anubias have started flowering. All good. I'm starting to feed them live food and hopefully they might breed.

I get what you're saying, but it's not quite the same. It's more like doing a weekly shop, you get all the food in one go but don't eat it at once. Terrestrial plants thrive like this. So do DIY hydroponics. But it may well be more ideal to add a little every day.

Linds