1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Beagle, Jul 23, 2017.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I would even say this example of an Iwagumi suffers from many critical beginner mistakes. 3 primary stones all on the same plane, still too much negative space, the sides are a bit crowded which draws unnecessary attention to the side panels with the outward facing stones, etc.

Yes, you can use minimal hardscape and have an impact, but beginners tend to use too little and undersized pieces for the tanks they are working within, so knowing this...you should try to put more in than you are comfortable with...then remove things if they seem to be too much...work backwards as a way to break the bad tendencies of a beginner. Amano referred to this as the power of removal.

Your planting plan sounds fine, obscuring the base of the wood should not be an issue...that piece of the scape will still carry enough weight and will look more natural that way, IMO.

John Whatmough likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Cant wait to see an update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Beagle

Have you made the final decision on the plants and their locations?

Keith:cat::cat:

4. keithgh

Beagle

Have you made the final decision on the plants and their locations?

5. Beagle

Beagle Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey everyone,

Currently working on collecting a few more pieces of DW to fill the base a bit -- I realized with the anubias covering up the base of the DW I think the remaining pieces 'sticking out' will all be pointing in mainly one direction. It's just taking me quite a bit of time to find some good pieces (and balance work at the same time :rolleyes:).

Will post more pics (not using photobucket...) when I've got something put together. I'm still sticking with my current plant plan of dwarf hairgrass in back, anubias nana petite at base, monte carlo in foreground.

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. keithgh

Beagle

One little tip do not settle for a piece "That will do" as you will never be satisfied.

When I was looking for a particular piece of DW it took me just over one year, I found it at a pet shop only minutes from home.

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

To add to what Keith said...You may not need to find the one piece that will work, rather several pieces that can be assembled to create the perfect piece. This is how the pros do it most often. You can ziptie or glue pieces together. Try to be clever in hiding the attachment points...you can also cover with moss or anubias.

keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  8. Beagle

Shawn -- that's definitely my plan. My general plan is to attach a few more pieces to the base, some of them to travel up and a few to hopefully follow along the rocks towards the bottom. I'll play with them depending on what the pieces end up looking like.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  9. keithgh

Shawn

I was looking for two pieces that I could butt end to end to make it look like one piece that is one reason it took so long to locate it.
    I will admit along the way I found a few extra pieces it's always handy to have a few good pieces of DW just in case you might use it later.

10. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

If it's any help ,it's give insight to me, George Farmer has a small series of videos on You Tube in ass.with Uk shop Aquarium Gardens discussing how to set wood,rocks even wood and rock together. The rock one is interesting he starts off with a huge piece of rock ,which you initially think "too big"for the aquarium but when smaller pieces are added it just looks perfect

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  11. keithgh

John

That sounds like it would be extreme helpful for newer members getting into Aquascaping.

Do you have a link/s to those videos.

John Whatmough likes this.
  12. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Just go to George's YT channel Hardscaping Basics parts one to four. Qiute a lot of others might be of interest too

13. keithgh

14. Beagle

I'm glad you guys shared those videos. Even though I've heard about (and thought I understood relatively well) some of the main principles he talked about when selecting/building hardscape, watching him actually selecting pieces and going through the thought process out loud was really insightful! These are some great videos for beginners.

I've ordered a few more DW pieces and they should be arriving soon. I'll share some updated scape options once I play around with everything a bit more. :D

15. keithgh

Beagle

I never bought DW pieces that way. Can you return them if you do not think that is exactly what you ordered.

16. Beagle

It's not exactly the ideal way to get them -- but after visiting multiple LFS around my area I couldn't find any retailers that had options I could peruse in person. With what I have in mind, I think I'll be able to get away with ordering some pieces online. If I had a very specific piece, this definitely would not work. And no, I won't be able to return it, but I have a second tank that I hope one day to have up and running as well, so even if I don't like them for this one I may be able to repurpose them there. :p

17. keithgh

Beagle

When the DW arrives can you post a photo of them please.

18. Beagle

DWfrontview.jpg DWskyline.jpg

Included the original piece for comparison, tentatively planning on deconstructing the smaller pieces and build them onto the original DW. This way I hope to make the two different woods blend together a bit.

keithgh likes this.
  19. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

You could do a cool layering effect with the thickest wood in the center and the thin ones on the outside...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. keithgh

Beagle

With all those very good pieces you will have "many" combinations to choose from.

Any member who is a maths whiz should be able to calculate the different arrangements you can create.