1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A Fresh Start

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Beagle, Jul 23, 2017.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

If you are planting anubias and ferns you do not need aquasoil. How about some small crypts with anubias and moss on the branches and skip the ferns? A carpet of eleocharis parvula and monte carlo mixed. Maybe even mix in some clumps of C. parva

Oh and when doing #3, you only really need an inch of substrate at the front, then slope it to about 4-6 " in the back.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Beagle

At the moment your are undecided on your planting and for that reason I would prefer the ADA Substrate. Another reason if and when you decide to change your plants you will already have the quality substrate.

Its your tank this is an alternative Substrate that can be used.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Beagle

Beagle Aspiring Aquascaper

Okay,

I'm thinking of trying eleocharis parvula as a background/carpet plant, anubias as the star around the base of the DW, and then moss accents on the tips. At least all of that can be a starting point, I do like the look of C. parva, but I think I'm going to simplify things for my own sake for now. :p

After trying some online shopping -- any opinions on ADA's normal vs. powdered substrate options? There's just so many options out there for a newbie. :ROFLMAO:

4. Beagle

Also, I doubt I'll be able to recreate this, but here's what I've got in mind for a 'final scape' -- although I'll try to shift it over a smidge more to the left in the end. It's close I think!

[​IMG]

5. keithgh

Beagle

With an Aquascape like that many do it centrally and by doing that is can become uninteresting. Just off centre is far more pleasing to the eye.

6. Beagle

While I'm working on getting substrate together (planning on straight ADA amazonia and supplementing with liquid ferts later on), I of course continued to play around with hardscape. Different approach... think I like the earlier version as it compliments the rocks more...? Thoughts?

Leaning towards hair grass and monte carlo... although I've always been afraid of them b/c of being new at this...

[​IMG]

7. keithgh

Beagle

[​IMG]
    This Aquascape works with the rocks where as the last one looks rather heavy and over done with the DW.

8. ShadowMac

If you can get more wood like this it would be of great help. It is a nice piece...but needs some friends to fill the space well. I am partial to your first version.

9. Beagle

I see what you guys mean. I think the first scape is more forgiving/covers up my lack of outstanding driftwood choices. I have ada amazonia on the way, but below is my sketch of the final scape and plant choices. :ROFLMAO:

At base of DW: anubias nana petite, back ground: dwarf hairgrass, bottom/around stones: monte carlo.

[​IMG]

Tim Harrison and ShadowMac like this.
  10. keithgh

Beagle

A few twiggy pieces "Could help" but I would wait until the plants are established it will look totally different then.
    Don't fall into the trap and cover up the base area of the DW as its a focal point feature of your Aquascape.

11. Beagle

Keith,

I think I understand what you mean by trying not to cover up the focal point... but I'm wondering how that's possible given the small scale of the scape? Where else would I utilize the anubias without covering up some if not a majority of the DW base? If you happen to have any other scapes (pictures) in mind I'd be happy to see them. I've been trying to spend some time looking at other somewhat similar scapes with mediocre success.

Thanks in advance!

12. ShadowMac

Beagle, how much in depth critique are you looking for? What is your goal for this scape?

Once you answer that I will be happy to go into a critique aimed specifically at trying to get you there. Also...see if you can find more of that wood. Its a nice piece and you need more. Forget the twiggy pieces...you need some things that will carry a bit of weight in the scape. If you can't...no worries I still think it can work.

13. keithgh

Beagle

Can you get much in the way of suitable DW by twiggy I do not mean match thin something with a b it of body yet not overly heavy so it can become the main feature piece. When you are buying the DW take the photo with you and check to see if you can get a full refund if it does not suite your design.

Plants would some of the low Crypts work in with the DW? What plants are you thinking of behind the DW?

14. Beagle

I guess my goals here are to just have a solid scape, but I'm mainly focusing on healthy plant growth in the end. I'm not expecting to end up with an IAPLC-worthy tank. :p Just one that makes me happy/proud to look at!

I'm happy to work on improving it some, after all I'm trying to take my time and get it all set up now before anything goes in the water. I guess I'm not sure what you guys mean by adding more decent sized DW in this tank... it feels like it's running out of space! I was planning on covering up the majority of the current DW base with the anubias, and behind the DW using dwarf hairgrass.

I'll keep searching through some other pictures/past IAPLC winners to try and pick up on what you guys mean. If I end up getting any more DW it will have to be online (not that that's a problem).

15. keithgh

Beagle
    Consider the DW you have in the tank at the moment as a mix of heavy (1 Vertical piece) and the others all medium to light (that is a personal opinion) others might call them totally different. Working from that a similar mix might work in very well. Its the positioning that is the most important and only you have the best view of that.
    In other words the same piece could look fantastic in one location but everywhere else it just does not work or do any thing for your Aquascape.

16. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Can't wait to see this planted.

17. Beagle

With the goal of having a bit more of a balanced scape, I'm toying with the idea of adding some more DW that will extend from the base of the current piece and aim down along the stones (trying to make it look a bit like roots rather than all of them pointing upwards like they are now). The recent "Tangled Roots" post gave me some inspiration!

Hard part is knowing if something like Spiderwood will go well with my current piece color-wise... I like it's overall shape, so I'm keeping an eye out for a good piece(s).

18. keithgh

Beagle

That might work for you just be very careful with your choices of DW. The hardest part is getting the right shape and not to big as if to dominate all the hardscape you have there now.

19. ShadowMac

mixing wood generally isn't too big of a deal...stones however are a different story.

I know it might feel like you are running out of space...however one of the biggest and most frequent mistakes made by new scapers and intermediate scapers is using far too little and too small of hardscape.

20. keithgh

Beagle

Then there is the opposite cramming far to much into a tank.

A Japanese Zen aquascape only the mimimium is used but its how it is used
    [​IMG]