1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

A few reminders and some helpful thoughts

Discussion in 'ASW Announcements' started by Garuf, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hello all.
    First off welcome to all our new members and the old ones too. A few reminders to help us help you and to keep the forum the forum as globally helpful as possible.

When posting a tank, please don't just post a single photo with no context, remember to include the tanks dimensions not just the volume or 40breeder or what have you, remember we are an international forum and tank sizes are not universal and neither are volumes, a tank 60cmx30x30 is going to be a very different tank to one 120cmx15x15 even though they have the same volume and many people aren't going to have a clue what a 60h is.

Remember to include all of your equipment details, lighting, filter /litre per hour, type of co2 etc. They may seem trivial but they're nice things to know and give a good idea of what people are having success with or in fact may not be.

Try to avoid common names for plants, as with tank sizes, they're not universal and the common name might be used for many different plants. Case in point, hair grass has 6 species commonly encountered in the hobby, all different and I've seen people using it for some grass like species which aren't hair grasses at all! I know they're horrible and hard but they're useful to know.

Another thing is to make sure that your location is updated, we're not asking for your zip code or state or anything unless you want to, just a country will help us help you no end without having to ask everyone every time you need to ask us something, what is available to my fellow Brits will be alien to scapers in China or India.

And no I've done my nagging miserable old sod part, a few points that older members will be perhaps aware of but would be alien to newer members.
    During my absence I've had a lot of messages pointing me to things here and there on the internet typically on youtube, tumblr and facebook where people are getting advice and giving out advice with totally impunity and frankly a lot of it is truly awful and a lot of people are sadly getting duped and not getting the chance to enjoy the hobby in all its true glory and are also failing to be afforded the science part of our hobby in favour of misinformed tosh. An example of this recently is a post that was pushed my way that was an alarmist and reactionary rant deriding hardscape only tanks, their justification, no plants mean there's no bacteria for the filter to work. I can't even begin to come to terms with how wrong they are but they spout this opinion like it's fact and sadly people can be put off from an interesting side of the hobby.

This brings me onto what I believe makes forums so good especially when dealing with the nuts and bolts. Forums are self governing, opinions are challenged, facts offered and ultimately the truth comes out and everyone has a better understanding and the hobby progresses, a lot of knowledge has moved on and a lot of the hangups from fish keeping are wives tales, witchcraft and snake oil. The people here have no agenda's they don't want to sell you a product they don't have any particular prejudices they just want to see you succeed and to help you to get to grips with the hobby, not based on non-sense opinion, based on facts.

Youtube videos from people with poor understandings or from companies selling something offering opinions on this and that might be nice to watch but they only ever confirm a bias, the same goes for someone asking a company that sells phosphate remover what causes algae and so on.

If you're reading this and haven't joined us, please do! You'll learn so much more!

And a warning in general when looking around the hobby on the internet, take everything with a reefers bucket worth of salt and don't take what someone has said on tumblr, facebook or youtube at face value, always question it and take it further, they're probably wrong...

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Garuf

One of the biggest problems I often come across mainly in general Aquarium Forums is many new comers believe every word the LFS/Pet store especially the large Company store tells them, or what they read on the WWW.

Regarding plant names very few Aquariums actually know the botanical names and some for sheer convenience make up a name that sounds nice, then there are a few that will go out of their way to make sure they name all their plants correctly.

There are a few On Line plant sellers in Australia who go beyond the common and Botanical names they have the growing requirements for the plants.

Keith:):)

3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the LFS thing is still strong but I think it's slipping, my lfs has one very well informed person there and with the good work from George Farmer over here people are a bit more clued up. What's new is I find people are going to find information that fits what they already think and it's typically from these services.

That's a shame about latins, in the UK, being a nation of gardeners and having supplies from Tropica and some dutch growers that also have a history we rarely come into contact with common names. I've never taken too much notice to growing requirements as I've always ran set ups that are aimed at growing everything.

4. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

nice to read...very informative guidance for beginners like me......and;

nice to see your back...Garuf:love:;)

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. RaRdEvA

RaRdEvA Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello everyone. Now that you mention about the plant names, anyone know of a good resource like an on-line atlas or something? I think this recomendations should have resources too.
    "If you want to convert units you can google like this..."
    "If you need the scientific name of a plant you can check this website. .."

That would really help newcomers ;)

catmcg and keithgh like this.
  6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Ra, These two sites have the best plant lists i know:rolleyes:
    www.tropica.com
    www.flowgrow.de
    Both have a translation button too :cool:

catmcg, keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  7. RaRdEvA

RaRdEvA Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you very much. The tropica site even has tutorial for lightning (something i am working on atm) very helpfull :)

catmcg, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.