1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

9L low-tech Iwagumi (kinda) [Terminated]

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ptiJo, Feb 12, 2013.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi ptiJo, Now you got me There :ROFLMAO: My mum did not even watch that :ROFLMAO: But if you watch the old ones :eek: Some had hair nets :cool: I could use that as a Wabi-Kusa Starting point Put some substrate in :D Well it Right up my Street :ROFLMAO::cry: Regards Roy

Sponsored link:

2. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

My Grand-Ma, from Brighton, did ;-)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo, How are things Going In 9lt low tech:) Any update pics ;)

4. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

It looks very nice, and complicated but simple! Those baby shrimps are lookin' great! Enjoy your tank! :D

5. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Well... Sh!t happened :-/
    Not exactly sure why but the HCC went covered with brown algae and white pearls started to die in mass. Maybe the high temperature week we had in Paris ; it was about 30°C during a whole week (day & night).

So I took every still alive shrimps into another tank (where they seem to have well grown). The CPO were already in another tank. Then I put the tank in darkness for 2 weeks. Meanwhile, I changed 50% of the water two times. I checked the water before all this but it didn't show any wrong parameters ; at least nitrates were <3mg/L. Finally, I trimmed the HCC and put the light back for a week. Then send the CPO back in. The WP are still in the outside tank.

So far, the HCC still looks a bit light brown on top but the invasion seem to have stopped. It's been bubbling for a week now so it should come back pretty soon. I've also dropped a bit of Azolla in the tank to improve nutriment filtering.

Shots may require a few week more ;-(

6. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo,HO NO not you too :eek: Same thing here Above 30C Tanks well as you said S/H happenes :( Glad things are getting back to normal for you too ;) As they say its all a learning curve ;) Just wish the learning curve was a bit slower:eek: So much reading:coffee::coffee::sleep::eek: Ho no More reading :coffee::LOL: One thing we both know WE LOVE IT :D Catch up soon looking forward to pic updates ;)

7. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Yeah, thanks!

8. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

I'm still fighting to get the tank back in business ; well... back in beauty though inhabitants seem to not care about beauty... :D

After a few blackout days and massive water change, it seemed to stop dying. But the HCC still didn't seem to reborn.
    So I went for a second massive operation : heavy trimming, window cleaning (only the front cause critters have to eat ;) and dirt vacuuming.

Here's what it looks now:
    [​IMG]

The CPO seem to like it less planted. Not that strange though... And it's kind of weird to see the rocks again :p

9. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo, Well that looks different:) Glad to hear you are beating the algae ;)

10. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Yeah, work in progress... Time will tell ;-)

Although algae can really be pretty sometimes. Here's what I saw in some public aquarium this summer:
    [​IMG]
    Spirogyra par Joel Carnat, sur Flickr

I may once try to do this at home. Quite impressive (in my opinion : )

moss_maniac, Yoda and greenfinger 2 like this.
  11. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo , We think the same way ;) Was only saying to the Wife the other day there must be something i can do with algae :D Well its not hard to get it hard to get rid of :LOL: As we have found out :( Is impressive As you said:) In the right place But how to control it that's the problem:eek: Well we will have some fun with it anyway .That's what its all about learning and having fun ;) Don't Think it will win any awards though :ROFLMAO: Will get one up and running soon Bit busy at this point in time lots of things on the go (y) Wife thought i was mad.Just showed her your post ;) Now she thinks there are two mad people out there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

That tank is now turned off.

Fought 3 months to get the plants start again but they seemed to have suffer a lot. Seems like the temperature went to high this summer. Or maybe something wrong with the soil ; I discovered I let some of the initial "soil" from the HCC pot in the sand. Maybe it has rot the whole thing :(

I'm building another one in replacement. Based on mangrove driftwood and american plants. I'll open another thread when there's something to show ;-)

13. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo , Sorry to hear this :( :(Loved your journal Fantastic info :cool:(y) Will be waiting for your updates ;) Please up date soon:whistle: As your new project Sounds great :rolleyes:

14. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

ptiJo

We can control most things but heat and algae are still at the top of the list.

Actually that moss looks rather natural for a damp misty valley but not all those snails.

Keith:):)

15. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Thanks guys!

@Keith: Maybe one could replace snails with shrimps :) But I still consider snails as part of the whole thing. And, somehow, pretty ;-)

16. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo , I am starting to like snails to:cool: Just wish they would not breed at such a pace :eek::D

17. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

As far as I observed them, they don't breed that much unless the leaving conditions (aka enough food) are there. In two of my tanks, they actually have difficulties surviving... One is a Betta cube, the other one has CPO ; in both case, snails regularly get eaten by those :)
    And in both case, snails tend to get transparent ! Although, from the Darwin point-of-view, I should rather say only the less-visible one survives :p

18. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

did you CPOs ever mess with your shrimp? they seem like interesting tank mates :eek:

19. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

CPO mess with "everybody" ;-) They're kinda "get out of my way peasant!" Not that they will hunt. But they will make themselves room with rather rude manners :D

But since they get to be known by other tank' inhabitants, they can do well.

nick.scott likes this.
  20. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo, You have a way with words :D They're kinda "get out of my way peasant !" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y) Love it