1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

90cm high tech planted

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by jfravn, May 5, 2010.

1. jfravn

jfravn New Member

I had major fertiliser deficiencies, especially macro, so I made a huge trimming and slight rescape yesterday. Let's see how it will evolve over the next few weeks. Rotala rotundifolia, h. micranthemoides and nesaea sp. red were all affected by the deficiencies and have been cut back to 5-10 cm. Staurogynes and HC cuba were also trimmed hard. The bare substrate in the left foreground will be filled w HC Cuba and the staurogynes and p helferi will fill in as well.

I am not too happy with the hardscape, neither right or left side, so a major rescape is coming up in August/September. I don't dare doing it now as I will be away for 3 1/2 weeks during July.

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

Hi!,
    very,very wonderfull work :proud:

3. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

it is getting better and better.^:)^

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

how could this happen? and why have you noticed it so late?
    atomated fertilizing machine?

5. jfravn

jfravn New Member

Jurik, well, I am a newbie not knowing exactly what to look for.

Did see problems with some of the plants, but the staurogynes and ferns looked ok. I've been challenged with the HC Cuba from the start, didn't have any algae, so basically it was the stems that made me aware of the more acute problems.

And yes, I use automated fertilizing machine that works perfectly, but it needs of course the right dosing, and my micro and macro mixtures obviously wasn't strong enough. I am at the tank everyday, so its not because it was neglected or overlooked ;)

6. jfravn

jfravn New Member

OK, removed the moss from hardscape yesterday. It was too dense, dark and unhealthy. Small branches are now ready to grow into green lush replacements. I think its a huge improvement.

Also added two Botia striata today and Helena snails to deal with the huge amount of snails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Ok.
    I´m looking for something like that for the tank in my parents home.
    How expansive was it?

Botia striata are beautiful, I´m sure they will handle your snail problem in no time ;)

8. jfravn

jfravn New Member

Jurik, if you're thinking of the dosing machine, it's expensive because I bought the GHL Profilux. It works precise and perfect though. Im using the computer and attached dosing unit, but the stand-alone dosing machine is 250 euro:

GHL express | Detailansicht | Dosiertechnik | Dosing Unit 3

9. repanas6

repanas6 New Member

Your botias are very beutiful mate!!

I am excited!!

10. jfravn

jfravn New Member

I continue to struggle with less than great plant growth. It is like... everytime I get to grip with one problem, another one arises. Most of them likely to come from my newbie status...

Updates: Just before my holiday (end June) I added a second Eheim 2075 filter and changed the light so that I now have 2 x 6500k and 2 x 9000k. Maybe not optimal for plant growth in theory, but my HC Cuba has four weeks later never looked healthier.

During my three weeks away from the tank I reduced light a bit, but continued with CO2 and ferts unchanged. Well, except from the fact that the macro ferts to my surprise ran dry during my absence.

After 4 1/2 months I think my tank should have looked more established than it does, but on the other hand, I have changed plants, had algae outbreaks and been away from it in longer periods. So all in all not too bad, after all. Here's a few updated pics.

Second one is as it looked when I returned from holiday except that I added 10 gallons of water that had evaporated. First one is two days later after trimming, cleaning and water change. Third one is engine room.

Attached Files:

11. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Jorgen, wow, very high tech^:)^

12. jfravn

jfravn New Member

Yes it is, but it still doesn't prevent me from being faced with one problem after another due to my mistakes, errors, impatience and lack of knowledge. But heck, this is my first planted tank and I'm all ready to learn.

13. jfravn

jfravn New Member

I just don't get it. My macro fertilizer has the following target ppms:
    N: 22
    K: 33
    P: 4,5
    M: 12

And still, I measure the nitrate value to 1 and phosphate at around 2. I run two Eheim 2075 on a 182 litre tank - will the biological filter material outcompete the added nitrate?

And its time for a photo update: [​IMG]

14. jfravn

jfravn New Member

Time for a video update. Go to youtube:
    YouTube - jfravn's Channel

Things are going well at the moment. Changed makrofertilizer and everything is back on track. Less algae and better growth.

[​IMG]

15. Chazzam

Chazzam New Member

Hey mate what is the "val" (i think it is) in the background on day 164?

16. Raven

Raven New Member

This is a well balanced and beautiful tank ! Well done !!
    Love the colors and the driftwood arrangement.
    I have noticed that some of the plants almost in any stage of the aquascape tend to grow leftwards. Good flow is a plus for high tech planted tanks and especially for ferns and bolbitis but I have the feeling that you should arrange the positions of the outflows and the powerhead in a way that does'nt bend to the left ,the taller plant tops.

17. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Well inspite of your errors, the scape has turn out to be a great one. ^:)^

18. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

4.5ppm P is quite high even for EI. I wonder if the high P is locking up the Fe before the plants get enough?

I also notice 12ppm M (is that Mg Magneusium?) Also looks very high

AC

19. jfravn

jfravn New Member

@Chazzam: its vallisnera nana.

@Raven: Thank you. Re the position of outflows and powerhead: I have removed the powerhead now running with two lily pipe outflows from two Eheim 2075. One outflow is positioned in the front left and the other in the back right. The latter one bends upwards but still creates a flow from right to left in the background. Any ideas how to avoid bending the plants would be appreciated.

@CHUNTC: Thanks again. Still a lot to do, but right now things are progressing nicely.

@Supercoley1: I run a new macro with ppms of N 20, K 30, P 3, M 10 in line with UKAPS EI recommendations. The N and P's weren't adjusted correctly in my previous fertilizer, but now plants grow nicely and test kit shows appropriate values.

Now I'm just waiting for the stem plants to grow higher and more dense.

20. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep sounds better :)

AC